No bike zone

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
Pardon me if this is in a wrong board, kindly move to the appropriate board, please.

There is an ongoing road widening project in our main road. Right now the work is in front of a trucking company. It is a vast compound that has a capacity of up to 100 trucks. I had the chance to chat with the guard one time during a traffic stop. I learned that their compound is a no-bike zone. Workers have to walk hundreds of meters to get to the trucks. Think of the distance to be covered since the parking slots of the trucks are located on the edges of the compound. The guard said that the HR just issued that guideline recently when a bike of one employee was lost inside the compound.

I've experienced a similar problem in areas where there are road projects underway. If road widening is taking place on the highway, then barriers are set up which leave only a side road available for vehicles to pass through. Needless to say, these are far from ideal for cyclists as they're very risky to negotiate as other vehicles try to zip into this limited space.