Older women on bikes

Novelangel

Apr 28, 2016
This is something I rarely see in my neck of the woods... older or elderly women riding bikes for fun or exercise. I'm in my 40's myself but while I often see older men riding, where are all the ladies? In fact, come to think of it, I seldom see women riders at all where I'm at here in Southeast Michigan. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is? I usually see men and children riding while women either jog or stroll, with or without baby strollers in hand. Maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention?

It's the same in my area. Older people, usually above 50, are the ones who ride their bikes and run in the morning, compared to everyone younger than them who would love nothing more than stay in bed and eat all day. It's like a health thing I guess, they know they have to keep up their strength and get some fresh air, so they go out during mornings to jog, run, and ride their bikes with other elderly folk.

Reactions: Novelangel
So, it probably depends on where you live, in other words. You stated that where you are, the older people are the ones out getting the exercise rather than the younger ones. That's interesting, as it's such a contrast to where I live. I think it would be interesting to see more older ladies or just older people in general, out riding bikes and getting exercise, although perhaps some of them are afraid of falling and getting seriously injured. That might be part of the problem, particularly with the elderly, but there are three-wheeled bikes on the market that could be useful in protecting from falls.

I currently live in the UK and while older male cyclists are more common than us ladies (and I'm only 18, so I'm hardly an example), I do know a few older women who ride like the wind. One is my mother, who at age 56 can still outrace me; the other is an old woman we know who is in her mid-70s, extremely fit, and a real speedo! I really agree that is rare to see an abundance of older women cyclists. It's sad, because so many women grow older and end up with health problems such as heart defects, lung problems, issues with obesity and so on - all because of inactivity. This is why I strive to always be a speed-freakish, active, possibly obsessive cyclist who is still burning the pedals well into my 90s and beyond. I'm damned if I won't celebrate my centenarian's birthday party in the saddle!! :)

Reactions: Novelangel
I love your attitude, Pixie. That's awesome to be planning ahead like that for your future as a strong, vibrant, healthy older woman. More people should start an exercise regimen in their younger years that they can maintain for decades to come. It really does help keep an older person happy and healthy. I have even seen bikes that are designed with the older person in mind. They have wider tires and seats, and are built more stable. I would love to have to eat my own words and see a lot of older women start riding around in my area.

You know what, I've noticed this as well here in my country. I usually see elderly men riding their bikes to go and do errands. For instance, one of our neighbours always uses his bicycle in the afternoon. I know because my son and I go out during this time and we always see this elderly man. I think he's extremely fit for a man of his age. He is very energetic and he is always smiling as well.

Most elderly woman here either walk or use public transportation though. I haven't seen elderly women riding bikes. Except for this one woman who sells meals on the go, but that's different because that's her job. But our women neighbours don't even own their own bikes.

I think biking can be a sport for both men and women though so I don't understand why there's this divide. I intend to bike for as long as I can and even when I'm older. It's a cheap and efficient way to go to places and at the same time, it's an exercise.

This thread makes me realize that I'm the oldest woman rider in our village, hahahaaah. The older women in the park that I sometimes chat with are not bikers but joggers and aerobics exercisers. Most of the bikers are male and the few female are more of the younger generation. Maybe that's why the older women in the village park admire me. By the way, I am in my early 50s.

Perhaps the tide is going out on this trend of older women not riding. With the younger women vowing to continue pursuing the sport into their older years, we may spot more of them riding bikes in coming years. I wonder if many women simply decide to venture into other directions as they age, and give up biking a little bit more with each passing year? I think that some of us just find other things that we like to do more than riding and the bicycle gradually takes a back seat to that.