Picking up my first road bike tomorrow

bomski99

Jun 11, 2011
Hello All,

Tomorrow I'm picking up my first road bike. I'm buying used, a Specialized Sequoia 2008. I'm paying $350 but it needs new tires. Any suggestions considering I don't even know how to change a tube? I want a tire that is least prone to flats.

I'm pretty excited to get started on this new hobby. I went used because I didn't want a huge investment if it turned out that I don't take to it. The bike looks as if it were well maintained and I believe that I am getting a fairly good deal. It was between this and a 2007 Trek 1000 SL. The trek looked mint but I liked the 2 brake options and the spring cusion seat on the Sequoia. The trek was also $50 more. I bought a helmet and a bike lock, anything else I should pick up right away besides the tires?

Congratulations!

You make me feel happy, bomski. I think you will have no trouble.

Tires will deflate but you will not. : )

helmet, lock, seat bag with extra tube and some basic tools. pump or co2 cartridges. No reason to get stranded. Stash some cash in that bag, maybe a bus pass, and put phone numbers of your friends, family, and local cab company (that has vans) in your phone for when you can't fix what broke. It will happen.

Plenty of tires out there with kevlar in them, tire liners, tubes with self-sealing slime. they all add weight, but that is a trade off you have to evaluate - a few less ounces vs dealing with a flat.

Practice changing the tire before you have to.

Then ride. Ride again and ride some more :) Enjoy the ride.

Reactions: davereo
Originally Posted by bomski99 .

Hello All,

Tomorrow I'm picking up my first road bike. I'm buying used, a Specialized Sequoia 2008. I'm paying $350 but it needs new tires. Any suggestions considering I don't even know how to change a tube? I want a tire that is least prone to flats.

I'm pretty excited to get started on this new hobby. I went used because I didn't want a huge investment if it turned out that I don't take to it. The bike looks as if it were well maintained and I believe that I am getting a fairly good deal. It was between this and a 2007 Trek 1000 SL. The trek looked mint but I liked the 2 brake options and the spring cusion seat on the Sequoia. The trek was also $50 more. I bought a helmet and a bike lock, anything else I should pick up right away besides the tires?
Tire levers, a spare tube, and either a minipump or a CO2 Inflator with cylinders. If you are a DIY type of person, these sites will help you out a lot: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help and http://bicycletutor.com/

Congrats on your bike, Bomski! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

I've had very good luck with Bontrager RaceLite Hardcase tires and I would add a good pair of riding gloves and shorts to the list of needful cycling things the others have started for you...

I had no idea about how to change a tire. Most of the time ill Google something, I Google's changing a tire and they made it look simple. Though I have not done it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhite1969 .

Ride again and ride some more :) Enjoy the ride.

TRUE! you will love it... :) Ride Safe...

Don't forget a water bottle. And sunscreen if you need/use it.

I also keep a beach towel in the bottom of my basket in case I want to stop and sit on the grass.