Piriformis Syndrome (aka, a pain in the . . . .)

Josh Hassol

Guest
I was recently diagnosed with piriformis syndrome. There are some old
posts out there on this topic, but I'm wondering if anybody is dealing
with it presently. If so, were you able to return to riding? How long
did recovery take? FWIW, cyclists are susceptible to this condition.
I'm concerned that I may have to stop riding.

- Josh

On 21 Sep 2006 12:11:49 -0700, Josh Hassol wrote:

> I was recently diagnosed with piriformis syndrome. There are some old
> posts out there on this topic, but I'm wondering if anybody is dealing
> with it presently. If so, were you able to return to riding? How long
> did recovery take? FWIW, cyclists are susceptible to this condition.
> I'm concerned that I may have to stop riding.

A friend of mine got the same diagnosis about a month ago. She's had
to stop running, which aggravates it terribly, and probably started it,
but even cycling and physio seem to be problems at the moment :-(

She may be interested in talking with you about it - I'll ask.

> Have you tried rehabilitation?

I will be seeing a physical therapist on Monday. Meanwhile, I've
started doing some careful stretching, and using ice, and Ibuprofen.

Josh Hassol wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Have you tried rehabilitation?

> I will be seeing a physical therapist on Monday. Meanwhile, I've
> started doing some careful stretching, and using ice, and Ibuprofen.

Good luck. Make sure you get a good physical therapist. Some are a
lot better than others.!!

Marc

"Josh Hassol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [email protected] wrote:
>> Have you tried rehabilitation?

> I will be seeing a physical therapist on Monday. Meanwhile, I've
> started doing some careful stretching, and using ice, and Ibuprofen.

I hope that it works out for you. It doesn't sound like a fun injury.

[email protected] wrote:
> Josh Hassol wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > Have you tried rehabilitation?

> > I will be seeing a physical therapist on Monday. Meanwhile, I've
> > started doing some careful stretching, and using ice, and Ibuprofen.

> Good luck. Make sure you get a good physical therapist. Some are a
> lot better than others.!!
>
> Marc

Well, my doctor is a runner, and he had the same problem I have. He
recommended a PT who "cured" him, so I'm hoping . . .

Thanks!

Frank Drackman wrote:
> "Josh Hassol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >> Have you tried rehabilitation?

> > I will be seeing a physical therapist on Monday. Meanwhile, I've
> > started doing some careful stretching, and using ice, and Ibuprofen.
> >

> I hope that it works out for you. It doesn't sound like a fun injury.

The worst part is I have this fear I will have to give up bicycling.
As anybody who knows me will tell you, cycling is my passion. If I
have to quit, it will be devastating. FWIW, I should be fine, but it
may take a while.

On 22 Sep 2006 09:37:17 -0700, "Josh Hassol" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Frank Drackman wrote:
>> "Josh Hassol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > I will be seeing a physical therapist on Monday. Meanwhile, I've
>> > started doing some careful stretching, and using ice, and Ibuprofen.
>> >

>> I hope that it works out for you. It doesn't sound like a fun injury.

>The worst part is I have this fear I will have to give up bicycling.
>As anybody who knows me will tell you, cycling is my passion. If I
>have to quit, it will be devastating. FWIW, I should be fine, but it
>may take a while.

What are your primary symptoms?

Set wrote:
> What are your primary symptoms?

Well, let's see . . . pain at the very top of the right hamstring,
where it connects to the gluteus, and in the gluteus. Occassionally,
the pain goes down to the mid hamstring. When I sit, it is worse, and
when I stretch the muscels, it really hurts.

I am dealing with the same issue. Two months ago I started seeing a Structural Integration Therapist (includes Rolfing). This helped tremendously and actually healed a very strained set of muscles in my abs and back. However, my PS symptoms have come back and I need to see this person again. My understanding is that sitting really makes it worse, and unfortunately my work requires that. So I'm working on the stretching, but here's the low down the way I understand it: 1) Sitting and running really make this problem worse but it is basically caused by inflammation and scar tissue in the fascia around your Piriformis muscle. 2) Cycling (in my case) doesn't heal it alone but can be used as part of therapy once you've included some other modality 3) The only truly helpful solution is through PT, or Active Release from a Chiropractor, or a Structural Integration therapist and/or Pilates. The optimal solution is using Pilates and one of the other techniques in combination. 4) In my experience, it is quite possible to heal the fascia through the aforementioned areas of therapy but SURGERY SHOULD BE AVOIDED UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES. Your problem is created by scar tissue in the fascia. Surgery only creates more scar tissue, which is why it does not resolve the problem.