Polar CS200 Cadence or Cateye CC-HR200DW

Gearoid

Feb 11, 2005
Im looking at getting one of these. Read some very poor reviews about the polar and cant really find any on the cateye. Any help or advice on which is the better buy. I know the polar had a software problem but has that been fixed. And that the cateye is a handful to set up(so im told by Lbs). And do both uints do what they say on the box ? Any one.

Thanks. . . .

Gearoid

Ireland

Gearoid said:
Im looking at getting one of these. Read some very poor reviews about the polar and cant really find any on the cateye. Any help or advice on which is the better buy. I know the polar had a software problem but has that been fixed. And that the cateye is a handful to set up(so im told by Lbs). And do both uints do what they say on the box ? Any one.

Thanks. . . .

Gearoid

Ireland

I've got a CS200cad that I've put a few hundred miles on. I've had zero problems. Setup was easy. Menu navigation is easy. Good display. 've had zero interference issues.

I used to have a Cateye CC-CD300DW and hated it. It ate batteries, had huge interference issues w/ my Polar HRM, and when I stopped wearing the Polar, the Cateye had interference issues w/ environmental sources.

alienator said:
I've got a CS200cad that I've put a few hundred miles on. I've had zero problems. Setup was easy. Menu navigation is easy. Good display. 've had zero interference issues.

I used to have a Cateye CC-CD300DW and hated it. It ate batteries, had huge interference issues w/ my Polar HRM, and when I stopped wearing the Polar, the Cateye had interference issues w/ environmental sources.
there were ZERO problems with the software on the cs200. The unit did have an update. But that was to avoid problems with the lap timers in the future. Not fix any problem
The only problem i have heard with the cs200 is the cadence sensor failing pretty quick. FIX: exchanging it for another and your set.

I had the Cateye 300DW, and it had a lot of problems. The sensor unit needed new batteries way to often(every 2-3 months), and I had interference issues with my heart rate monitor and just about anything else I rode by.

Gearoid said:
Im looking at getting one of these. Read some very poor reviews about the polar and cant really find any on the cateye. Any help or

I had the Polar cadence unit and often had conflicts with it and the speed and the HR. I sent it back after it just wasn't working properly (I even adjusted its outputting power to try and compensate).

I don't like wireless stuff except HR, obviously. 15 minutes install time and the wired stuff works forever. Wireless needs more frequent battery changes, there are interference issues, and it costs probably 3x more upfront. My cateye astrale for $20 has worked perfectly.

If you _need_ data acquisition, that's a whole different requirement.

I was hunting for computers and liked the VDO range but couldn't find a shop here to buy one from

In the end I went for the Mavic Wintech and I love the e-skewer idea as the sender for the wireless

fwiw, i installed a CS200cad on my 66 cm cannondale frame a couple of weeks ago. because of the size of the bike, both transmitters were at the limit of the recommended ranges, but both work just fine - i have not had any problems with either one. the HRM works just fine as well.

i like the display. standard issues with setting up a Polar HRM apply - you have to read the book.

my only nit - i wish the cadence number on the display was larger. my 40-something eyes occasionally have trouble reading it.

I have had the CS200 for about 1000 miles now, and I LOVE it!!! The unit was easy to set up, has cadence, HR, it's great! The only thing I would change would be to add a temprature reading to it. This is by far the best computer I have used, (and being the geek I am I have used A LOT!)

Thanks for all the in put. I went with the Polar CS200 Cadence. Took a wee while to get the cadence thing to work. But got it in the end. Very touchie pit of kit when trying to get it working but once working no worries. But im not sure the readings are a true record of what you do. The cycle into work is around 14.8k now that is with a wired speedo set up the same as the Polar. But the same trip reading with the polar is always around 13.2k, 13.5k Would it be losing enough each time you stop and start at the lights. Any one else notice this, Not a big thing but if your putting in the k's and keeping a log. Its good to have it right.