Proper fit makes all the difference

Andrew Pancroft

Feb 16, 2010
Living in Colorado, a typical ride around the neighborhood can mean 600 feet of ascent - 15 miles out of my area get straight to 1900 ft of ascent. So, a month back, toward the back end of a 144 mile ride that included a little over 11k feet of ascent, I started developing a little lower back pain.Most told me that my 53/46-11/26 drivetrain setup was the reason. I bagged the 46 and went down to a 39. Back pain was still hanging around. So, off for a Retul. After the fit, felt good enough to go back to the 46. Two weeks, 600 miles and 21k feet later, back feels fine!!!

Get your bike fit!!!

Afraid you post has failed to convince me of the need to invest in a pro fit. Two questions: What was wrong with your position that contributed to the back pain, and what changes did you make? And why go back to a 46 chainring? Even if you climb standing all the time at very low cadence, can't you do that in a 39 ring? Other than the novelty factor, can't see how a 46 ring is a better choice than a 39...for anyone.

I am amazed! I have [also] recently started having some minor back soreness while riding. I've lost a lot of weight recently, as well as changed my shoe/pedal setup. So I have wondered about my "fit". But I am also a old man.... and had thought the back discomfort was merely a result of arthritic spurs and household chores.

Please tell us more about the adjustments/changes to your bicycle.

Since I posted here... I've cycled 2-3 times... with no back discomfort. I am guessing that in my case the back pain was a result of [me] mowing my lawn. My riding lawn mower(s) have always caused minor lower back pain.

Although... I have had several body and some equipment changes and am glad this thread has reminded me to review my fit.

Originally Posted by tottenham21 .

I'm waiting to hear more, c'mon my back is killing me.
A trainer at a club meeting about five years ago told us that gaining flexibility and building ab strength would fix most cyclists' lower back pain, unless there was some serious underlying problem. As a result, I started a quick morning stretch routine, plus an ab workout once or twice a week at the Y. Oddly, when I first started doing the ab "crunch" machine at the Y, my lower back would hurt during the exercise, particularly if I tried to increase the weights.

After a few months, lower back pain which always seemed to start a couple of hours into the club ride became a thing of the past. It's alot more fun to ride without the nagging lower-back pain, so I'd say don't just keep suffering; do what it takes to fix it.

Originally Posted by dhk2 .

A trainer at a club meeting about five years ago told us that gaining flexibility and building ab strength would fix most cyclists' lower back pain, unless there was some serious underlying problem.
I would guess your trainer (and yourself) are correct. I do happen to also have an underlying problem. But even then... strength training, and increasing flexibility and balance can make a world of difference. It has for me! Of course... I will be the first to also admit that finding the balance between building the body and harming an already damaged body is in part just luck. I found the worse thing for my back... was to do nothing. Keeping active.... keeps me active.