RVing and Bike Trails (IL, IN, IA, MO, WI, MI)

Skyhooks

Guest
Greetings:

I've been lurking a little bit here. I love to read all the descriptive posts about bike paths. My
spouse and I like to ride our bikes a lot, but mostly on dedicated bike/hiking paths, not roads.
We've ridden over 2000 miles in the past two years.

We're quite familiar with the (Illinois) I&M and Hennepin Canal Paths, but we'd like to learn about
other paths that can accommodate a small Class B RV/MH (basically a taller full-size conversion van)
with electricity. We'd prefer camping/RVing sites that are located on or quite near any particular
path. The I&M Canal Path doesn't have such a facility -- it accommodates primitive camping only.
Hennepin has a few locations for an RV, but no electricity.

Oh, I should say we're interested only in "lame & tame" paths, such as rails-to-trails, etc., not
mountain biking or anything like that. Neither of us are vigorous enough (nor young enough) to
handle those types of advanced biking trails that require such physical dexterity and exersion.

Another point -- since we have only so much time to travel to locations for weekend jaunts (4 hours
max one-way, give or take a little), they can't be too far away in distance/time from Central
Illinois where Interstates 57, 72, & 74 intersect. However, I know someday we'll want to do the Erie
Canal and other similar paths when extended time off (as in vacation) becomes available (not to
mention the money!).

We know about the Katy Trail in Missouri, but not if it is has any (RV with electricity) campgrounds
that abut the trail or are easily accessible to it. The Tunnel Hill Path in southern Illinois is
also another possibility, but again we don't know if any RV campgrounds are located adjacent to
and/or near the path.

Anywho, I look forward to reading responses. Thanks so much.

Skyhooks hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

x-no-archive-yes

Take a look at the Prairie Spirit Trail in Garnett, KS. About 30 miles in length and Garnett has a
few city owned campgrounds a Class B would fit in perfectly! PLUS, the campgrounds are right next to
the trail. Only drawback is the trail cost $3 per day to ride or $11 for an annual permit.

Enjoy. Mike

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

>Greetings:
>
>I've been lurking a little bit here. I love to read all the descriptive posts about bike paths. My
>spouse and I like to ride our bikes a lot, but mostly on dedicated bike/hiking paths, not roads.
>We've ridden over 2000 miles in the past two years.
>
>We're quite familiar with the (Illinois) I&M and Hennepin Canal Paths, but we'd like to learn about
>other paths that can accommodate a small Class B RV/MH (basically a taller full-size conversion
>van) with electricity. We'd prefer camping/RVing sites that are located on or quite near any
>particular path. The I&M Canal Path doesn't have such a facility -- it accommodates primitive
>camping only. Hennepin has a few locations for an RV, but no electricity.
>
>Oh, I should say we're interested only in "lame & tame" paths, such as rails-to-trails, etc., not
>mountain biking or anything like that. Neither of us are vigorous enough (nor young enough) to
>handle those types of advanced biking trails that require such physical dexterity and exersion.
>
>Another point -- since we have only so much time to travel to locations for weekend jaunts (4 hours
>max one-way, give or take a little), they can't be too far away in distance/time from Central
>Illinois where Interstates 57, 72, & 74 intersect. However, I know someday we'll want to do the
>Erie Canal and other similar paths when extended time off (as in vacation) becomes available (not
>to mention the money!).
>
>We know about the Katy Trail in Missouri, but not if it is has any (RV with electricity)
>campgrounds that abut the trail or are easily accessible to it. The Tunnel Hill Path in southern
>Illinois is also another possibility, but again we don't know if any RV campgrounds are located
>adjacent to and/or near the path.
>
>Anywho, I look forward to reading responses. Thanks so much.
>
>Skyhooks hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

Do not reply to the e-mail address above - too much SPAM! Post replies to the group!

Thanks for your comments :) I'll check this path out, but since it's in Kansas, it sounds a long
way away ??

I certainly don't mind paying a reasonable fee to cover the cost a trail's upkeep! After all, the
users should be responsible. One thing I especially hate when I ride the I&M path is to see litter -
it's dispairing to think some folks are just so inconsiderate of other folk (sigh).

Mike Erb wrote:

> x-no-archive-yes
>
> Take a look at the Prairie Spirit Trail in Garnett, KS. About 30 miles in length and Garnett has a
> few city owned campgrounds a Class B would fit in perfectly! PLUS, the campgrounds are right next
> to the trail. Only drawback is the trail cost $3 per day to ride or $11 for an annual permit.
>
> Enjoy. Mike
>
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Greetings:
> >
> >I've been lurking a little bit here. I love to read all the descriptive posts about bike paths.
> >My spouse and I like to ride our bikes a lot, but mostly on dedicated bike/hiking paths, not
> >roads. We've ridden over 2000 miles in the past two years.
> >
> >We're quite familiar with the (Illinois) I&M and Hennepin Canal Paths, but we'd like to learn
> >about other paths that can accommodate a small Class B RV/MH (basically a taller full-size
> >conversion van) with electricity. We'd prefer camping/RVing sites that are located on or quite
> >near any particular path. The I&M Canal Path doesn't have such a facility -- it accommodates
> >primitive camping only. Hennepin has a few locations for an RV, but no electricity.
> >
> >Oh, I should say we're interested only in "lame & tame" paths, such as rails-to-trails, etc., not
> >mountain biking or anything like that. Neither of us are vigorous enough (nor young enough) to
> >handle those types of advanced biking trails that require such physical dexterity and exersion.
> >
> >Another point -- since we have only so much time to travel to locations for weekend jaunts (4
> >hours max one-way, give or take a little), they can't be too far away in distance/time from
> >Central Illinois where Interstates 57, 72, & 74 intersect. However, I know someday we'll want to
> >do the Erie Canal and other similar paths when extended time off (as in vacation) becomes
> >available (not to mention the money!).
> >
> >We know about the Katy Trail in Missouri, but not if it is has any (RV with electricity)
> >campgrounds that abut the trail or are easily accessible to it. The Tunnel Hill Path in southern
> >Illinois is also another possibility, but again we don't know if any RV campgrounds are located
> >adjacent to and/or near the path.
> >
> >Anywho, I look forward to reading responses. Thanks so much.
> >
> >Skyhooks hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu
> >

> Do not reply to the e-mail address above - too much SPAM! Post replies to the group!

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:06:45 -0500, Skyhooks <[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

>...but we'd like to learn about other paths that can accommodate a small Class B RV/MH (basically a
>taller full-size conversion van) with electricity. We'd prefer camping/RVing sites that are located
>on or quite near any particular path.

<snip>

You might be interested in the Greenbriar River Trail in West Virginia.

see: http://www.greenbrierrivertrail.com/

There are campsites very close to the trail in Watoga State Park:

see: http://www.watoga.com/accommodations/accommodations.html

This trail is _very_ flat since the old railroad bed was built right next to the river. Gravel
surface & beautiful mountail scenery.

Jack Fortune Atlanta, Georgia

Southwest Ohio has a great selection of railtrails. They link Cincinnati, Dayton, Xenia and
more. The majority are paved and follow river valleys making them very scenic. <A
HREF="http://www.intellweb.com/trails/">Miami Valley Ohio Rails-To-Trails Pages</A> Charlie
Myer Indiana

"Skyhooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Greetings:
>
> I've been lurking a little bit here. I love to read all the descriptive posts about bike paths. My
> spouse and I like to ride our bikes a lot, but mostly on dedicated bike/hiking paths, not roads.
> We've ridden over 2000 miles in the past two years.
>
> We're quite familiar with the (Illinois) I&M and Hennepin Canal Paths, but we'd like to learn
> about other paths that can accommodate a small Class B RV/MH (basically a taller full-size
> conversion van) with electricity. We'd prefer camping/RVing sites that are located on or quite
> near any particular path. The I&M Canal Path doesn't have such a facility -- it accommodates
> primitive camping only. Hennepin has a few locations for an RV, but no electricity.

I often travel to other states to do bike rides. The I&M has been one I've considered. What is your
favorite area? My daughter and I like to visit small towns, shop along the way and keep the mileage
around 25-40 miles per day. We enjoy the trails that have things to see and do rather than just ride
through open country.

Beverly

> Oh, I should say we're interested only in "lame & tame" paths, such as rails-to-trails, etc., not
> mountain biking or anything like that. Neither of us are vigorous enough (nor young enough) to
> handle those types of advanced biking trails that require such physical dexterity and exersion.
>
> Another point -- since we have only so much time to travel to locations for weekend jaunts (4
> hours max one-way, give or take a little), they can't be too far away in distance/time from
> Central Illinois where Interstates 57, 72, & 74 intersect. However, I know someday we'll want to
> do the Erie Canal and other similar paths when extended time off (as in vacation) becomes
> available (not to mention the money!).
>
> We know about the Katy Trail in Missouri, but not if it is has any (RV with electricity)
> campgrounds that abut the trail or are easily accessible to it. The Tunnel Hill Path in southern
> Illinois is also another possibility, but again we don't know if any RV campgrounds are located
> adjacent to and/or near the path.
>
> Anywho, I look forward to reading responses. Thanks so much.
>
> Skyhooks hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

http://www.cedarvalleytrail.com/

Nice trail; 2 hours west of Dubuque, Ia. Northern 15 mi. is paved from Mc Farland park to Waterloo.
Also many trails in Waterloo & Cedar Falls. The 40 mi. south into Cedar Rapids is crushed limestone
and rideable with road tires. RV camping in Waterloo (George Whith) and (McFarland Park) in La Port
on the trail 15 mi. S. of Waterloo, Ia... harley

"CBike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Southwest Ohio has a great selection of railtrails. They link
Cincinnati,
> Dayton, Xenia and more. The majority are paved and follow river valleys
making
> them very scenic. <A HREF="http://www.intellweb.com/trails/">Miami Valley Ohio
Rails-To-Trails
> Pages</A> Charlie Myer Indiana

I live in SW Ohio and have to agree there are some great Rails-to-Trails in the area. You might want
to check out the Little Miami Scenic Trail. I'm sure you would find camping at Buck Creek State Park
or Caesar Creek State Park. Kings Island Campgrounds is another option but they're a little pricey.

http://www.bikemiamivalley.org/maps.htm

Beverly

Beverly wrote:

> "Skyhooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > We're quite familiar with the (Illinois) I&M and Hennepin Canal Paths, . . .
>
> I often travel to other states to do bike rides. The I&M has been one I've considered. What is
> your favorite area? My daughter and I like to visit small towns, shop along the way and keep the
> mileage around 25-40 miles per day. We enjoy the trails that have things to see and do rather than
> just ride through open country.
>
> Beverly

Thanks for your earlier post about the <http://www.bikemiamivalley.org/maps.htm> website. It will be
very helpful when we head that way for biking ;)

Anywho, the I&M Canal Path is fantastic, especially at this time of year when the trees will be
turning to their fall colors! Our favorite part is to ride east from Morris to as far as we can,
usually 11 miles one way at least. At eleven miles east of Morris, there is a "point" of land on the
Illinois River. Across the river from this point is the Dresden Nuclear Power Plant. Spouse and I
like to picnic at this point because there's a bench to sit on and rest while eating our lunch
(usually something like a sub sandwich or KFC).

What's nice about the section east of Morris is a lot of the path lays between the Illinois River
and the old I&M Canal. The bike/hiking path is the actual tracks the mules used to haul barges when
the canal was active. However, the one drawback about this eastern section is there really are no
small towns to go through or by. Only McKinley Woods and Channahon Parks are the highlights. The
path ends on the east in an industrial area of Joliet. Personally, I wouldn't recommend accessing
the path from that end. Here's a link to a detailed map of the eastern section with milage markers
<http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/PARKS/I&M/EAST/images/I&m1.gif>.

The good news is the path from the western edge in Lasalle/Peru is also great! From Lasalle/Peru,
it's only about 7 or 8 miles to Utica. The canal is still present along this part of the trail.
Utica has some really nice features, and IIRC, the I&M Museum is located there, as well.

From Utica, it's a little push to Ottawa, about 12 miles or so (I can't recall exact milage). Parts
of the canal along this section have been reclaimed by nature over the years. Between Utica and
Ottawa (?? or is it a bit farther east of Ottowa?) is Buffalo Rock State Park (where the Tumuli are
located), which is just across the 2-lane highway at an I&M trailhead. After Ottawa comes Marseilles
(pronounced mar-sells'), then Seneca. Here's the detailed map of the western section
<http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/PARKS/I&M/EAST/images/i&m2.gif>.

The wildlife is incredible! Many turtles, snakes, fox, deer, coyote, muskrat (or some sort of beaver
like rodent), herons, cranes, hawks, owls, and other sort :) The fauna is gorgeous, too. In some
places, the canal has all but disappeared and is sometimes hard to find because Nature has nearly
reclaimed it.

My spouse and I frequently drive 90-110 miles (one way) to access this path for day rides ;) It's
definitely worth the travel time for this path, even for only a day.

HTH!

Skyhooks hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

> > >We know about the Katy Trail in Missouri, but not if it is has any (RV with electricity)
> > >campgrounds that abut the trail or are easily accessible to it.

Here are a few possibilities for you, along the Katy Trail. I suggest that you call them to verify
that they really can accomodate your RV, really are on or near the trail, and to make sure that they
are not closed for the season or out of business.

Sedalia (mile 229 on Katy Trail, approx 3.5 hour drive from St. Louis) Countryside RV & Campground
660-827-6513 Missouri State Fairgrounds 660-530-5600

Hartsburg (mile 153, about 2 hour drive from St. Louis) Hartsburg Hummingbird 573-657-9585

Bluffton (mile 110, about 2 hour drive from St. Louis) Steamboat Junction Campground 573-831-4807
www.steamboatjunction.com

St. Charles (mile 39, eastern end of Katy Trail, 20 minutes from St. Louis) Sundermeier RV Park
636-940-0111

I'm not sure where you live, but I gave the drive times from St. Louis to give you some perspective
on location.

Note that the mile numbers follow the old railroad mile markers, so the trail mileage starts at 33
rather than 0.

<shameless plug> I should also mention Grant's Trail in suburban St. Louis (since I run a website
covering that trail: www.bikegrantstrail.com). There are no RV campgrounds right on the trail, but
if you camp anywhere in the metro St. Louis area, it's worth the drive to visit Grant's Trail
because it has many interesting attractions (Grant's Farm animal park, Ulysses Grant's home, etc)
along 6 paved miles of rail-to-trail. Visit www.bikegrantstrail.com for directions and more details.
The Orlando's parking lot could easily accomodate your RV. </shameless plug>

Happy riding, Raymond Scott bikegrantstrail.com

x-no-archive-yes

You're right - didn't realize the distance!!

Well, have you looked at the Root River Trail in SE Minn? There are lots of campgrounds there right
on the trail. One, in Peterson, MN is a city owned campground and the trail is 20 feet away from
your campsite. Root River trail is very nice, paved and is about 40 miles long. Lots of little towns
and facilites plus it's free.

There is a website address but I don't have it handy. Do a search for Root River Trail in Minn and
you'll see it.

Enjoy, Mike

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

>Thanks for your comments :) I'll check this path out, but since it's in Kansas, it sounds a long
>way away ??
>
>I certainly don't mind paying a reasonable fee to cover the cost a trail's upkeep! After all, the
>users should be responsible. One thing I especially hate when I ride the I&M path is to see litter
>- it's dispairing to think some folks are just so inconsiderate of other folk (sigh).
>
>Skyhooks hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

Do not reply to the e-mail address above - too much SPAM! Post replies to the group!

Goodall's publishes the best campground guides I have found.

You can order a set of maps from the Illinois dept. of transportation web site that show practically
all of the Illinois bike paths and rate roads for bike use.

Wisconson DOT publishes similar maps that are for sale in Wisconson bike shops or can be downloaded
in pieces from its web site.

"Ed" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Goodall's publishes the best campground guides I have found.
>
> You can order a set of maps from the Illinois dept. of transportation web
site
> that show practically all of the Illinois bike paths and rate roads for
bike
> use.
>
> Wisconson DOT publishes similar maps that are for sale in Wisconson bike
shops
> or can be downloaded in pieces from its web site.

The state of Wisconsin bike maps (which I find excellent) are on-line at

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/bike-foot/countymaps.htm

These are the same maps as the set of 4 in print, except that they are organized by county into
Adobe files.

The state of Illinois bike maps are on-line at

http://www.dot.state.il.us/bikemap/STATE.HTM

I would think there would be lots of places in Wisconsin that would fit your bill.

One that doesn't get much attention is the Wild Goose State Trail, which is an old rail to trail
conversion near Juneau. The trail itself is nice, but unspectacular. The Horicon national wildlife
refuge is quite interesting, though. The trail passes along the side of it, and there is a (paved)
road through part of the wildlife area. Can't speak to RV facilities, though.

Skyhooks <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Greetings:
>
> I've been lurking a little bit here. I love to read all the descriptive posts about bike paths. My
> spouse and I like to ride our bikes a lot, but mostly on dedicated bike/hiking paths, not roads.
> We've ridden over 2000 miles in the past two years.
>
> We're quite familiar with the (Illinois) I&M and Hennepin Canal Paths, but we'd like to learn
> about other paths that can accommodate a small Class B RV/MH (basically a taller full-size
> conversion van) with electricity. We'd prefer camping/RVing sites that are located on or quite
> near any particular path. The I&M Canal Path doesn't have such a facility -- it accommodates
> primitive camping only. Hennepin has a few locations for an RV, but no electricity.
>
> Oh, I should say we're interested only in "lame & tame" paths, such as rails-to-trails, etc.,

There are campgrounds near just about every trail, except those located in major urban areas. The
best thing to do is get some trail info from railstotrails.org and then use Yahoo yellow pages to
find campgrounds near trailheads or other entry points. Aside from railstotrails.org, each state's
DNR and/or DOT has bike path and campground/statepark info. Most states have info on the web.

Aside from that general info, I, an Illinoian, can enthusiastically recommend the trails of
Minnesota. Many are paved and most seem to have camping facilities of all levels nearby. Root River
and Paul Bunyan are two of my favorites. Additionally, the individual trails themselves often have
their own websites, like the Lake Wobegon Regional Trail in central Minnesota. On this site there is
a great deal of tourist info including camping facilities. Along with Yahoo yellow pages, I search
with google to find trail info.

boris blak wrote:

> Skyhooks <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Greetings:

(snip)

> > Oh, I should say we're interested only in "lame & tame" paths, such as rails-to-trails, etc.,
>
> There are campgrounds near just about every trail, except those located in major urban areas. The
> best thing to do is get some trail info from railstotrails.org and then use Yahoo yellow pages to
> find campgrounds near trailheads or other entry points. Aside from railstotrails.org, each state's
> DNR and/or DOT has bike path and campground/statepark info. Most states have info on the web.
>
> Aside from that general info, I, an Illinoian, can enthusiastically recommend the trails of
> Minnesota. Many are paved and most seem to have camping facilities of all levels nearby. Root
> River and Paul Bunyan are two of my favorites. Additionally, the individual trails themselves
> often have their own websites, like the Lake Wobegon Regional Trail in central Minnesota. On this
> site there is a great deal of tourist info including camping facilities. Along with Yahoo yellow
> pages, I search with google to find trail info.

Thanks for the info. I've known about the rails-to-trails for a long time. However, my problems is
"time" and "location"! I just don't have enough time-off (all in one sum) to travel the distance to
get to a trail then ride on it. Sometimes, I wish I worked 4-days a week instead of 5. Oh well,
life's a beach ;)

Skyhooks hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

"reply to" address munged -- read line above for correct addy.

>Thanks for the info. I've known about the rails-to-trails for a long time. However, my problems is
>"time" and "location"! I just don't have enough time-off (all in one sum) to travel the distance to
>get to a trail then ride on it. Sometimes, I wish I worked 4-days a week instead of 5. Oh well,
>life's a beach ;)

I should have mentioned before Horseshoe Lake state park in Madison county Illinois just northeast
of St. Louis. Madison county has well over 50 miles of mostly off road bike routes. There are maps
posted a intersections along the trails. Camp at Horseshoe Lake and get on a bike trail at the North
edge of the park. If you go there look for the new Lewis and Clark museum. Also ride over the
Mississippi river on the old Chain of Rocks bridge (no auto traffic allowed, this is old route 66.)
With about one mile on road riding you can get from the bridge to a trail that goes to downtown St.
Louis. I think you can then cross another bridge back to Illinois and ride the levee back.

A few miles from there is the Vadalabene bike trail along the Mississippi from Alton to Pere
Marquette state park. You can camp at Pere Marquette. Along the way ride into Elsah to see a very
old river town, stop at Grafton for food and drink. Explore the caves and sinkholes along the Alton
end of the trail. If you want hills Alton has them and the trail from Grafton to Pere Marquette runs
up and down the bluff a few times.

'Bicycle Trails of Illinois' published by American Bike Trails has detail maps of most of the trails
in Illinois and has area maps showing both trails and state parks which helps matching the two.

Ed wrote:

> >Thanks for the info. I've known about the rails-to-trails for a long time. However, my problems
> >is "time" and "location"! I just don't have enough time-off (all in one sum) to travel the
> >distance to get to a trail then ride on it. Sometimes, I wish I worked 4-days a week instead of
> >5. Oh well, life's a beach ;)
>
> I should have mentioned before Horseshoe Lake state park in Madison county Illinois just
> northeast of St. Louis. Madison county has well over 50 miles of mostly off road bike routes.
> There are maps posted a intersections along the trails. Camp at Horseshoe Lake and get on a bike
> trail at the North edge of the park. If you go there look for the new Lewis and Clark museum.
> Also ride over the Mississippi river on the old Chain of Rocks bridge (no auto traffic allowed,
> this is old route 66.) With about one mile on road riding you can get from the bridge to a trail
> that goes to downtown St. Louis. I think you can then cross another bridge back to Illinois and
> ride the levee back.
>
> A few miles from there is the Vadalabene bike trail along the Mississippi from Alton to Pere
> Marquette state park. You can camp at Pere Marquette. Along the way ride into Elsah to see a very
> old river town, stop at Grafton for food and drink. Explore the caves and sinkholes along the
> Alton end of the trail. If you want hills Alton has them and the trail from Grafton to Pere
> Marquette runs up and down the bluff a few times.
>
> 'Bicycle Trails of Illinois' published by American Bike Trails has detail maps of most of the
> trails in Illinois and has area maps showing both trails and state parks which helps matching
> the two.

Thanks for the recommendation, Ed. Riding on the "Chain of Rocks" bridge over the Mississippi River
sounds really neat. I know we'd enjoy riding along the levee, too. Perhaps sometime between now and
next year, spouse and I will be able to check out that area's bike trails, as long as they're "lame
and tame" trails and not BMX!

Regarding the 'Bicycle Trails of Illinois' book, we have the most recent edition (3rd, I
believe). It's a fairly nice book, except it's not very accurate, really. For example, this book
lists the "Heartland Trail," but the problem is it's not truly a bike trail (except for hardy
mountain bikers). There's an old abandoned rail bed there, but it's certainly not suitable for
"lame and tame" riding. One can hike it (so I've reliably heard), but it hasn't been developed
due to lack of funds (not surprising). And IIRC, the book's map places "Lake of the Woods" on the
east side of Urbana, when in fact it is located just north of Mahomet, which is a good 15-20
miles _WNW_ of Urbana!

OH, just this past Sunday (10/5/03) my spouse and I rode the Grants Farm Trail in the St. Louis
area, as some folk here recommended. It's a very lovely trail albeit somewhat short, but we didn't
find it suitable to our liking -- it's too urbanized and crowded, although I'm sure that during the
week its usage is less congested. We prefer trails that are a bit more "remote" and not so busy.

The Katy Trail is ideal :) We rode almost 30 miles on Saturday
(10/4/03) between Trelour and Hermann. Now that's the kind of trail and riding we like. In fact, I
was surprised we didn't see more riders on the Katy Trail than we did -- I'd guess about
20 to 30 other riders (?) over an seven hour period. The remoteness and solitude of the
Katy Trail are quite nice, and the scenery is spectacular, particularly where the rock
bluffs grandly rise up alongside the trail. My spouse nearly ran over the middle of a
rather large snake (couldn't tell which species), but luckily he barely missed it, and me,
while trying to avoid hurting the snake (breaking its spine). We also saw another smaller
garter snake.

So far, spouse and I like the I&M Canal Path and the Katy Trail the best so far. We've been to
Tunnel Hill and Hennepin, as well as the Fox River Trail. We found the Fox River Trail to be a bit
too urbanized and crowded, too. Sheese, I sort of feel like Goldilocks (VBG) -- this one's too
small, this one's too crowded, this one is just right (GRIN)!

Skyhooks hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

"reply to" address munged -- read line above for correct addy.

"Skyhooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> The Katy Trail is ideal :) We rode almost 30 miles on Saturday
> (10/4/03) between Trelour and Hermann. Now that's the kind of trail and riding we like. In fact, I
> was surprised we didn't see more riders on the Katy Trail than we did -- I'd guess about
> 20 to 30 other riders (?) over an seven hour period. The remoteness and solitude of the
> Katy Trail are quite nice, and the scenery is spectacular, particularly where the rock
> bluffs grandly rise up alongside the trail.

That's a particularly pretty section; I loved the parts right next to the river.

> We found the Fox River Trail [Illinois] to be a bit too urbanized and crowded, too.

Try the far north end, from McHenry (really Bull Valley Rd on the west side of McHenry) north to
Genoa City, Wisconsin. That's gravel, and very lightly used.

"Skyhooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... (some snips)

> The Katy Trail is ideal :) We rode almost 30 miles on Saturday
> (10/4/03) between Trelour and Hermann. Now that's the kind of trail and riding we like. In fact, I
> was surprised we didn't see more riders on the Katy Trail than we did -- I'd guess about
> 20 to 30 other riders (?) over an seven hour period. The remoteness and solitude of the
> Katy Trail are quite nice, and the scenery is spectacular, particularly where the rock
> bluffs grandly rise up alongside the trail. My spouse nearly ran over the middle of a
> rather large snake (couldn't tell which species), but luckily he barely missed it, and
> me, while trying to avoid hurting the snake (breaking its spine). We also saw another
> smaller garter snake.

Two of my granddaughters and I rode a section of the Katy Trail near St. Charles last summer. Like
you we did not run into many other riders. I imagine the temperature of 97 had a little to do with
it :) The trail section along the river was especially beautiful. We didn't run into any snakes but
were startled by a couple of deer. They jumped onto the trail just a few feet ahead of us and
continued on the trail for awhile before jumping back into some brush. This is one trail I intend to
include in future vacation plans. I'll be sure to select a time of year with lower temps.

Beverly

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 02:42:44 GMT, "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> We found the Fox River Trail [Illinois] to be a bit too urbanized and crowded, too.
>
>Try the far north end, from McHenry (really Bull Valley Rd on the west side of McHenry) north to
>Genoa City, Wisconsin. That's gravel, and very lightly used.

Actually it's only gravel north of Ringwood (Illinois), and really bad gravel at that. Last time we
did our club's "Ride to the Border", my girlfriend and I hopped off the trail at Ringwood and took
Route 31 into Richmond to avoid the gravel section. It's that bad!

Actually the trail is really fun just north of Crystal Lake with steep hills and twisty bits, but
then gets really, really BORING for the next five miles or so into McHenry. McHenry to Ringwood is a
nice stretch with good pavement.