SAGBRAW

Eric Hirsch

Guest
I'm riding SAGBRAW along the shores of Lake Michigan with
Bike Wisconsin this August. My daughter a 21 year old vegan,
(no meat, no fish, no dairy products), will be riding with
me. I'm worried about finding suitable restaurants and/or
health food stores along the route, which stretches from the
Wisconsin/Canadian border to just north of Milwaukee. Any
thoughts from those of you who have done this ride? I'd also
appreciate any advice about starting times in the mornings,
whether to try to make use of the group meals that are sold,
etc. I'm guessing we should start early to avoid missing the
showers at the end, and that the meals won't be of much use
to my daughter. Thanks in advance for any help.

Eric Hirsch Rans Stratus (recumbent) Rhode Island

Eric,

We've never done SAGBRAW, although we've done GRABAAWR six
times with the seventh beginning next week. Based on my
experience, you almost certainly will not find the meals
offered at the schools to be of any value to your daughter.
The meals on GRABAAWR tend to be run by organizations that
are looking to raise funds... food for the masses so to
speak. Great people, noble causes, just not for a vegan
diet. My wife maintains a vegetarian diet, though she does
eat dairy and fish, and we've never had a problem on
GRABAAWR by simply eating off-site. I wish that I could
offer further information on the towns that you'll
encounter.

With regard to start times, on GRABAAWR I have learned that
it doesn't make too much sense to leave real early....
unless its real hot. GRABAAWR had about 900 riders last
year, so there wasn't too much contention for showers or
decent camp locations. I think that SAGBRAW has less
participants. I've learned that starting late, enjoying the
day and getting in late avoids crowded showers.

Have fun. Bill does a great job organizing these tours.

Best, Jim Kruzitski St Paul, MN jkruzit <at> excite <dot>
com

news:[email protected]...

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
Servers! =-----

"Eric Hirsch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm riding SAGBRAW along the shores of Lake Michigan with
> Bike Wisconsin this August. My daughter a 21 year old
> vegan, (no meat, no fish, no dairy products), will be
> riding with me. I'm worried about finding suitable
> restaurants and/or health food stores along the route,
> which stretches from the Wisconsin/Canadian border to just
> north of Milwaukee.

What Wisconsin/Canadian border?

As it happens, my own daughter is a 21 year old vegan --
vegetarian since 14, vegan since 17. I'm not familiar with
this specific ride, but rural Wisconsin in general (i.e.
outside of Madison and Milwaukee) isn't vegan territory, to
put it mildly. Manitowoc has a large natural foods
industrial bakery (Natural Ovens of Manitowoc) that's worth
a look if the route goes that way. They have a small outlet
store / natural food store in the corner of the plant. I'd
carry whatever she ordinarily might use to supplement what's
likely to be a somewhat endless array of green salads,
pasta, and marinara sauce. Whether that's nuts and seeds,
protein powder, dried mushrooms, Luna bars or whatever
depends on your daughter.

On solo tours through Wisconsin, I also find that my
daughter's general speech about the evils of keeping cattle
in barns all day so they can eat endlessly in close quarters
and avoid disease only through antibiotics comes back to me.
My daughter's a wonderful person and I respect her views,
but frankly I'm just as glad not to have to hear that speech
every time we pass a cattle barn. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the information Mike. I think we do ride through
Manitowoc so we'll check out Natural Ovens. Sorry about
mistaking the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for Canada. That's
a New Englander for you.

Eric Hirsch Rans Stratus Rhode Island

ws:<[email protected]>...