Sequoia Century (200k) website page up

"Dave Rusin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> As I understand it, exercise develops our muscles by
> tearing them apart a bit and then rebuilding them, better
> and stronger than before.

this process of super-compensation involves a little more
than simply reparing macro-tears in the tissue, although
that is part of it. other enhancements come through
improvement in buffering capacity and increase in key
enzyme levels.

> That takes protein. But when is best to get the protein?
> Is your body still working on muscle repair a few days
> after your long bike ride or heavy swim?

the argument for protein involves both performance and
recovery.

for performance, there is a direct link between fatigue and
glycogen depletion. If this glycogen is not replenished
between workouts adequately, you face a net reduction in the
amount of glycogen available from one practice to the next.
The high intensity nature of swimming means that the body
will not begin to break down triglycerides as glycogen
stores begin to run low; instead, it will circumvent
triglycerides, and begin to use protein. The process of
protein metabolism to create glycogen is known as
gluconeogenesis. An amino acid known as alanine present in
muscle tissue is transported to the liver where it is
transformed into glucose, and then into glycogen.

for recovery, some research has shown improved performance
by intake of protein before and during performance (one
sports drink, Accelerade, bases its marketing on this -
although my swimmers say it tastes like ass). in terms of
recovery, look at the role of protein in enhancing the
insulin response, and some research has shown that by
including protein in the post-exercise meal an environment
more optimal for anabolic response is brought about.
either way, having the right amounts of protein available
does no harm.

as for what protein, research has shown that protein
supplements are not really needed. the protein drinks
(usually whey-based) in the amounts recommended by the
manufacturors are enough to build over 200lbs of human
muscle in a year. obviusly, they're very excessive. research
has also shown that animal protein is much better than
synthetic and non-animal (non-meat) forms, not only because
it contains the correct aminos, but also because it has
supplementary minerals and nutrients.

hope this helped.

steve

Terry Morse wrote:
> Dave Rusin wrote:
>

>>May I piggyback on this discussion and ask also about
>>proteins?
>>
>>As I understand it, exercise develops our muscles by
>>tearing them apart a bit and then rebuilding them, better
>>and stronger than before. That takes protein. But when is
>>best to get the protein?
>

> I believe the latest research recommends protein all the
> time. The standard recovery food is 4 parts carbs/1 part
> protein, and that recommendation hasn't changed. The
> prevailing recommendation during exercise used to be carbs
> only, but studies now are showing that adding some protein
> during exercise delays muscle fatigue.
>
> Accelerade is a sports drink that incorporates protein.
> I'm going to give it a try when my Cytomax runs out:
>
> http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=accelerade
> --
> terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

The research you are referring to was funded by Accelerade.
So far it has only been one study.

The reason for the carbs recommendation was that is what
the body uses for energy. The protein recommendation has
been made on the belief that it helps the body absorb the
carbs faster.

Check this link out. http://www.cptips.com/ The site is
written by a medical doctor as well as cyclist and his
information seems to be pretty good. In keeping with some of
the other posts on this topic, he covers carbo loading.

As part of this thread covers soda, it is interesting that
he talks about that when discussing sports drinks. Hey the
first sports drink were defizzed coke. Carbs (sugar) and
caffeine, what more could you ask for.

Ed Swierk wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction
> Bicycles wrote:
>

>>I forced myself to eat a fair amount at lunch, knowing
>>full well that it would bog me down at first on the climb.
>>But, when you're on the "wrong" side of the mountain, with
>>quite a few miles to go, you have to be thinking an hour
>>ahead (as far as food goes), not how you feel at the
>>moment. It worked out very nicely; I felt a bit sluggish
>>at the beginning of the climb, but finished strongly.
>

> Good point--I did feel much better after the first part of
> the climb. It didn't occur to me that it might have been
> because of, not despite, the hearty lunch.
>

>>I'm sure there are other foods besides pasta that would
>>work well, but why take the chance? If pasta's worked for
>>you in the past, stick with it.
>

> Well, I was actually wondering whether someone better-
> versed in nutrition or physiology might have debunked the
> night-before pasta theory, on the grounds that, say, one
> would have digested it completely before the ride even
> begins. Absent a counterargument based in fact, I will
> indeed indulge in a bowl of pasta before my next century.
>
> --Ed

I put it in another post but I have found this site to be
pretty good for nutritional info. http://www.cptips.com/. He
talks about carbo loading and all of that. There is
something to having the pasta the night before.

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Paul Duren wrote:
> I put it in another post but I have found this site to be
> pretty good for nutritional info. http://www.cptips.com/.
> He talks about carbo loading and all of that. There is
> something to having the pasta the night before.

It keeps amazing me to see how many people would not know
how to feed themselves, if it were not for internet.

Sergio Pisa

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Bill Bushnell wrote:
>
> > Sugary soft drinks aren't so good early in a ride, but
> > later in a ride, after a hot climb, is often the best
> > time. This was a good location for such refreshment; the
> > timing was perfect.
>
> Yes, the soda stop was most welcome after the Zayante
> climb (thanks, Chain Reaction!). I wasn't feeling good
> after lunch. Maybe I ate too much bread and pasta salad.
> It certainly felt like I was carrying an extra 10 pounds
> up that climb. Should I have stuck to cookies and bananas?
>
> Which makes me wonder--Zayante aside, I felt really good
> for most of the ride. I ate a big bowl of pasta the night
> before. Is there a correlation, or is the night-before
> pasta thing a myth?

Well, marathon runners swear by it, so I expect there's
something to it.

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

We are all living proof that we know how to feed ourselves
to keep alive, but cycling can require special kind of
"feeding" for maximum performance, for endurance, or to
avoid illness or bonking. Although I managed to stay alive
and complete the Eastern Sierrra Double Century (my first)
recently I would really like to find a complete and balanced
nutrition mix I could combine with water to consume slowly
from my camelback enroute, rather than forcing down an
arrortment of energy bars, bananas, cookies, and powders and
caps. I have not yet found a source of that info, in books,
periodicals, or on web sites. Anyone know of such a mix? Or
maybe a recipe for something I could make up for myself
without having to take a short course in nutrition...
--
Steve Juniper "One of the few good things about modern
times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have

"Sergio SERVADIO" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:pine.LNX.3.96.1040609090524.1266Q-
[email protected]... On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Paul

Steve Juniper wrote:

> I would really like to find a complete and balanced
> nutrition mix I could combine with water to consume slowly
> from my camelback enroute, rather than forcing down an
> arrortment of energy bars, bananas, cookies, and powders
> and caps. I have not yet found a source of that info, in
> books, periodicals, or on web sites. Anyone know of such a
> mix? Or maybe a recipe for something I could make up for
> myself without having to take a short course in
> nutrition...

This pdf document is a good starting point for endurance
nutrition:

http://www.e-caps.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf

Lots of hard won knowledge, written by an ultra-endurance
rider (RAAM, Furnace Creek 508, etc.).