Slightly OT: Cycling vs golf / obesity (rant, preaching to the choir)

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Feb 11, 7:29 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/yodnka

>> Give us the actual link if you want us to look.
>>

> Why? The "tinyurl" works perfectly!
>
> If you are the "nervous type", just use "preview.tinyurl":
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/yodnka

Why did not the original poster show us this courtesy?

> .....or are you just playing netcop again?

Would you click on a suspicious looking link in a spam email? Would you
click on a link that ends in ".scr"? Opening hidden links from unknown
sources is a good way to pick up computer viruses and similar nasties.

On Feb 12, 4:03 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > On Feb 11, 7:29 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >> Give us the actual link if you want us to look.

> > Why? The "tinyurl" works perfectly!

> > If you are the "nervous type", just use "preview.tinyurl":

> >http://preview.tinyurl.com/yodnka

> Why did not the original poster show us this courtesy?

Just do it yourself, by adding "preview." to *any* tinyurl link.

> > .....or are you just playing netcop again?

> Would you click on a suspicious looking link in a spam email? Would you
> click on a link that ends in ".scr"? Opening hidden links from unknown
> sources is a good way to pick up computer viruses and similar nasties.

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!!

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Feb 12, 4:03 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>>> Why? The "tinyurl" works perfectly!
>>> If you are the "nervous type", just use "preview.tinyurl":
>>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/yodnka

>> Why did not the original poster show us this courtesy?

> Just do it yourself, by adding "preview." to *any* tinyurl link.[...]

But that requires manually editing the link. It is discourteous to the
reader to not post the actual link, especially from an unknown poster.

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>> On Feb 12, 4:03 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>> Why did not the original poster show us this courtesy?

>> Just do it yourself, by adding "preview." to *any* tinyurl link.[...]
>>

> But that requires manually editing the link. It is discourteous to the
> reader to not post the actual link, especially from an unknown poster.

If you're not allergic to cookies, you can configure tinyurl to always
preview - works for me.

On Feb 11, 1:35 pm, [email protected] wrote:

I was riding one splendid afternoon this last summer on Willows Road,
and some guy in a Yukon Denial or Ford Imposition or some similar
vehicle pulls up next to me at an intersection and wants to know where
the Willows Run Golf Course was. I told him that I had no idea -- the
golf course was around there somewhere, but I couldn't imagine wasting
a beautiful day golfing when one could ride a bike. He sort of sneered
at me and drove on.

But it's true - why would you want to golf when you could ride? You
just hit the little ball, then trot (or worse, drive) over to it, and
then hit it again. BO-ring. I can see why my father-in-law plays it --
he's in his 70s, and lost part of a lung due to cancer and can't do
more aerobic exercise. But why would anyone reasonably healthy do it?
What's the point?

Warm Regards,

Claire

> Claire Petersky, [email protected] wrote:
> I was riding one splendid afternoon this last summer on Willows Road,
> and some guy in a Yukon Denial or Ford Imposition or some similar
> vehicle pulls up next to me at an intersection and wants to know where
> the Willows Run Golf Course was. I told him that I had no idea -- the
> golf course was around there somewhere, but I couldn't imagine wasting
> a beautiful day golfing when one could ride a bike. He sort of sneered
> at me and drove on.
>
> But it's true - why would you want to golf when you could ride? You
> just hit the little ball, then trot (or worse, drive) over to it, and
> then hit it again. BO-ring. I can see why my father-in-law plays it --
> he's in his 70s, and lost part of a lung due to cancer and can't do
> more aerobic exercise. But why would anyone reasonably healthy do it?
> What's the point?

I don't believe there's anything inherently _wrong_ with golf, any more
than with poker, stereotypical adherents notwithstanding. You could
think of it as a video game on grass, maybe*.

One of my tenants used to take me for a quick 9 in June at 4am before
the course opened. (our northern days are long near the solstice) It's
kinda nice at dawn, no other golfers around. Free, too, at dawn!

White belts, polyester slacks and big guts are not actually _required_.

Maybe the truck drivin' guy already had a ride in before his golf game??

*yes, some will interpret that meaning quite differently I'm sure
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:55:35 -0800 (PST), Claire <[email protected]>
wrote:

>But it's true - why would you want to golf when you could ride? You
>just hit the little ball, then trot (or worse, drive) over to it, and
>then hit it again. BO-ring. I can see why my father-in-law plays it --
>he's in his 70s, and lost part of a lung due to cancer and can't do
>more aerobic exercise. But why would anyone reasonably healthy do it?
>What's the point?

Business networking.

Claire Petersky wrote:
> On Feb 11, 1:35 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> I was riding one splendid afternoon this last summer on Willows Road,
> and some guy in a Yukon Denial or Ford Imposition or some similar
> vehicle pulls up next to me at an intersection and wants to know where
> the Willows Run Golf Course was. I told him that I had no idea -- the
> golf course was around there somewhere, but I couldn't imagine wasting
> a beautiful day golfing when one could ride a bike. He sort of sneered
> at me and drove on.
>
> But it's true - why would you want to golf when you could ride? You
> just hit the little ball, then trot (or worse, drive) over to it, and
> then hit it again. BO-ring. I can see why my father-in-law plays it --
> he's in his 70s, and lost part of a lung due to cancer and can't do
> more aerobic exercise. But why would anyone reasonably healthy do it?
> What's the point?

I always thought the holes should be connected by single-track that the
golfers would have to ride.

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Claire Petersky, [email protected] wrote:
> > I was riding one splendid afternoon this last summer on Willows Road,
> > and some guy in a Yukon Denial or Ford Imposition or some similar
> > vehicle pulls up next to me at an intersection and wants to know where
> > the Willows Run Golf Course was. I told him that I had no idea -- the
> > golf course was around there somewhere, but I couldn't imagine wasting
> > a beautiful day golfing when one could ride a bike. He sort of sneered
> > at me and drove on.

I echo Andrew's comments: there's nothing inherently wrong with golf.
And I say that as someone who has never darkened the greens of a
full-size course, and who last used any club other than a putter during
high-school forays to the pitch-n-putt courses.

A puritanical attitude towards not-very-aerobic activities like this
takes us along the unpleasant road from pleasurable cycling to mandatory
cycling, or worse, mandatory stationary cycling: safer all around. Let
us not go there.

> I don't believe there's anything inherently _wrong_ with golf, any more
> than with poker, stereotypical adherents notwithstanding. You could
> think of it as a video game on grass, maybe*.
>
> One of my tenants used to take me for a quick 9 in June at 4am before
> the course opened. (our northern days are long near the solstice) It's
> kinda nice at dawn, no other golfers around. Free, too, at dawn!
>
> White belts, polyester slacks and big guts are not actually _required_.

Andrew, get with the program: plus-fours are the cycle-to-links
sartorial unifier:

http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=169
http://www.golfknickers.com/brs01.html

I do not want to admit the amount of time I've spent staring at this
page trying to figure out if I can justify the rather ridiculous price
(with Canadian shipping) they want for argyle socks that would match my
team kit:

http://www.golfknickers.com/cotblenarsoc.html

I did go as far as buying a different, cheaper, pair of right-color
argyle over-the-calf socks, but they're fairly thin, and a bit
overstretched when stretched over my calves. Acceptable, but these might
be better.

Found plus-four-length elastic-cord-cuffed nylon shorts at Value Village,

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Claire Petersky, [email protected] wrote:
>>> I was riding one splendid afternoon this last summer on Willows Road,
>>> and some guy in a Yukon Denial or Ford Imposition or some similar
>>> vehicle pulls up next to me at an intersection and wants to know where
>>> the Willows Run Golf Course was. I told him that I had no idea -- the
>>> golf course was around there somewhere, but I couldn't imagine wasting
>>> a beautiful day golfing when one could ride a bike. He sort of sneered
>>> at me and drove on.

> I echo Andrew's comments: there's nothing inherently wrong with golf.
> And I say that as someone who has never darkened the greens of a
> full-size course, and who last used any club other than a putter during
> high-school forays to the pitch-n-putt courses.
>
> A puritanical attitude towards not-very-aerobic activities like this
> takes us along the unpleasant road from pleasurable cycling to mandatory
> cycling, or worse, mandatory stationary cycling: safer all around. Let
> us not go there.[...]

I favor equal mandatory labor for ALL able bodied citizens in service of
the public welfare.

Apparently under some odd influence, hopefully chemical, Tom Sherman wrote:
> I favor equal mandatory labor for ALL able bodied citizens in service of
> the public welfare.

Dear King Of The World:

Thank you, Great Leader, we hear and obey.
Our servitude is a joy under your merciless thumb.
--

Andrew Muzi wrote:
> Apparently under some odd influence, hopefully chemical, Tom Sherman wrote:
>> I favor equal mandatory labor for ALL able bodied citizens in service
>> of the public welfare.

> Dear King Of The World:
>
> Thank you, Great Leader, we hear and obey.
> Our servitude is a joy under your merciless thumb.

I have the report by an informed person on the matter (Aleksandr
Isaevich Solzhenitsyn) that mandatory labor over an extended period will
improve moral character (excluding the "stool pigeons").

On Feb 13, 1:29 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Claire Petersky, [email protected] wrote:
> > I was riding one splendid afternoon this last summer on Willows Road,
> > and some guy in a Yukon Denial or Ford Imposition or some similar
> > vehicle pulls up next to me at an intersection and wants to know where
> > the Willows Run Golf Course was. I told him that I had no idea -- the
> > golf course was around there somewhere, but I couldn't imagine wasting
> > a beautiful day golfing when one could ride a bike. He sort of sneered
> > at me and drove on.

> > But it's true - why would you want to golf when you could ride? You
> > just hit the little ball, then trot (or worse, drive) over to it, and
> > then hit it again. BO-ring. I can see why my father-in-law plays it --
> > he's in his 70s, and lost part of a lung due to cancer and can't do
> > more aerobic exercise. But why would anyone reasonably healthy do it?
> > What's the point?

> I don't believe there's anything inherently _wrong_ with golf, any more
> than with poker, stereotypical adherents notwithstanding. You could
> think of it as a video game on grass, maybe*.
>
> One of my tenants used to take me for a quick 9 in June at 4am before
> the course opened. (our northern days are long near the solstice) It's
> kinda nice at dawn, no other golfers around. Free, too, at dawn!
>
> White belts, polyester slacks and big guts are not actually _required_.
>
> Maybe the truck drivin' guy already had a ride in before his golf game??
>
> *yes, some will interpret that meaning quite differently I'm sure
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

While I have no problem with golf itself, the golfers are not very
appealing. I do see some usefulness in golf. On occasions, in my
travels to conferences and such, the hotel have golf courses. These
are a very nice place to run. Very relaxing and peaceful.

On Feb 14, 3:15 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Andrew Muzi wrote:
> > Apparently under some odd influence, hopefully chemical, Tom Sherman wrote:
> >> I favor equal mandatory labor for ALL able bodied citizens in service
> >> of the public welfare.

> > Dear King Of The World:

> > Thank you, Great Leader, we hear and obey.
> > Our servitude is a joy under your merciless thumb.

> I have the report by an informed person on the matter (Aleksandr
> Isaevich Solzhenitsyn) that mandatory labor over an extended period will
> improve moral character (excluding the "stool pigeons").
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

I seem to have a preference for the amoral types. Many who go around
preaching and imposing morality look like the golf players described
in the story. Then, they get caught making passes at young boys in
stalls, having sex with altar boys, abusing women and doing all the
stuff that they speak against.

[email protected] aka Andres Muro wrote:
> On Feb 14, 3:15 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Andrew Muzi wrote:
>>> Dear King Of The World:
>>> Thank you, Great Leader, we hear and obey.
>>> Our servitude is a joy under your merciless thumb.
>> >

>> I have the report by an informed person on the matter (Aleksandr
>> Isaevich Solzhenitsyn) that mandatory labor over an extended period will
>> improve moral character (excluding the "stool pigeons").
>>

> I seem to have a preference for the amoral types. Many who go around
> preaching and imposing morality look like the golf players described
> in the story. Then, they get caught making passes at young boys in
> stalls, having sex with altar boys, abusing women and doing all the
> stuff that they speak against.

My only real current sins are posting way too much to Usenet and arguing
with trolls. I understand Andres Muro enjoys observing the latter activity.

On Feb 14, 6:42 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> [email protected] aka Andres Muro wrote:
>
> > On Feb 14, 3:15 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> I have the report by an informed person on the matter (Aleksandr
> >> Isaevich Solzhenitsyn) that mandatory labor over an extended period will
> >> improve moral character (excluding the "stool pigeons").

> > I seem to have a preference for the amoral types. Many who go around
> > preaching and imposing morality look like the golf players described
> > in the story. Then, they get caught making passes at young boys in
> > stalls, having sex with altar boys, abusing women and doing all the
> > stuff that they speak against.

> My only real current sins are posting way too much to Usenet and arguing
> with trolls. I understand Andres Muro enjoys observing the latter activity.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

Hey, Tom. Us moral types don't have enough real fun. We get our kicks
from the simple pleasure of posting in newsgroups.

Andres