Sourcing bottom bracket cable guides

Graham Ashton

Guest
I need to replace the bottom bracket cable guide on my early 90s Dawes
Galaxy. I phoned a bike shop who said that there were essentially two
sorts that attach underneath the bottom bracket:

1. An old type with a builtin plug that you push into the bottom
bracket.

2. A more modern type with a bolt.

I have type 1. The bike shop said you couldn't get hold of the older
sort any more. Does anybody know where I might be able to get hold of
one?

Cheers,

Graham

"Graham Ashton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>I need to replace the bottom bracket cable guide on my early 90s Dawes
> Galaxy. I phoned a bike shop who said that there were essentially two
> sorts that attach underneath the bottom bracket:
>
> 1. An old type with a builtin plug that you push into the bottom
> bracket.
>
> 2. A more modern type with a bolt.
>
> I have type 1. The bike shop said you couldn't get hold of the older
> sort any more. Does anybody know where I might be able to get hold of
> one?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Graham

I had this problem. Tap the hole and use a bolt.

Ken.

On Mon, 26 May 2008 10:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Graham Ashton
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I need to replace the bottom bracket cable guide on my early 90s Dawes
>Galaxy. I phoned a bike shop who said that there were essentially two
>sorts that attach underneath the bottom bracket:
>
> 1. An old type with a builtin plug that you push into the bottom
>bracket.
>
> 2. A more modern type with a bolt.
>
>I have type 1. The bike shop said you couldn't get hold of the older
>sort any more. Does anybody know where I might be able to get hold of
>one?

<goes to look in bits box>

--

Tim

I understand very little of what's being discussed
but for some reason it's fascinating.

(Jon Thompson, urs)

On Mon, 26 May 2008 10:50:51 -0700 (PDT)
Graham Ashton <[email protected]> wrote:

> I need to replace the bottom bracket cable guide on my early 90s Dawes
> Galaxy. I phoned a bike shop who said that there were essentially two
> sorts that attach underneath the bottom bracket:
>
> 1. An old type with a builtin plug that you push into the bottom
> bracket.
>
> 2. A more modern type with a bolt.
>
> I have type 1. The bike shop said you couldn't get hold of the older
> sort any more.

Translation: he can't be bothered.

> Does anybody know where I might be able to get hold of
> one?

Here's one
http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/418-471546
but there are several types and the fixing hole might not line up or be
the right size. You can just glue on the bolt-on type - cable tension
pretty much holds them in place anyway. Or jam a bit of wall plug in
the hole and use a self-tapper.