Steering Tube Cut Too Short - Options?

Aztec

Jul 8, 2003
My tube was cut about 4cm too short for me. There just aren't any stems that can bridge that by angling upward enough. So... new fork time? I have a Columbus Muscle, on a Colnago Dream Plus. Colnago forks START at $430 and are 100g heavier than what I already have. But the Columbus is $400 as well.

Any good values in quality carbon forks, or am I best off just sucking it up and buying the Colnago fork?

Originally posted by Aztec
My tube was cut about 4cm too short for me. There just aren't any stems that can bridge that by angling upward enough. So... new fork time? I have a Columbus Muscle, on a Colnago Dream Plus. Colnago forks START at $430 and are 100g heavier than what I already have. But the Columbus is $400 as well.

Any good values in quality carbon forks, or am I best off just sucking it up and buying the Colnago fork?

4cm upwards rise must be possible i doesn't look really nice but you have em. If its and old style(threaded fork you can put an adapter in it to make it one for a aheadset, the adapter wins you several cm's but sadly also several grams prices around 10 euro/us dollar

No, I mean that even with my existing stem which has a +10 or so rise, I'm still 4cm too low.

It's threadless, too. I think Im hosed. :-( But on the bright side, this seems a great opportunity to buy a new frame/fork combo!

Originally posted by Aztec
No, I mean that even with my existing stem which has a +10 or so rise, I'm still 4cm too low.

It's threadless, too. I think Im hosed. :-( But on the bright side, this seems a great opportunity to buy a new frame/fork combo!

I can think of a couple of possible remedies. Why not use a stem with a 17 degree rise. With the same extension, this will bring you closer. Another possiblity. Use a mountain stem with a high rise. I think that Nitto makes a road handlebar that will fit a mountain stem.