Tall frame bikes?

TR1

Dec 22, 2007
Hello- Im a newbie just getting back into cycling. I have a custom built steel road bike that is about 12 years out of date and I would like to move up to something current. I had my last road bike built for me because I'm 6'6'' and could not find anything that fit right. (Too small) My old bike size is about a 70. My question is:

What companies should I be looking at for a larger frame bike? Back in the day (1990's) I remember Cannondale had some larger bikes... any thoughts would help.

Thanks,

TR

TR1 said:
Hello- Im a newbie just getting back into cycling. I have a custom built steel road bike that is about 12 years out of date and I would like to move up to something current. I had my last road bike built for me because I'm 6'6'' and could not find anything that fit right. (Too small) My old bike size is about a 70. My question is:

What companies should I be looking at for a larger frame bike? Back in the day (1990's) I remember Cannondale had some larger bikes... any thoughts would help.

Thanks,

TR
Go to your LBS and get measured for a bike. At your height, any frame will have to be special ordered, but nearly all of the major manufacturers will be able to supply a frame that will fit you.

Actually, Lennard Zinn has carved out a nitch building custom frames for tall riders. His bikes aren't just scaled up smaller bikes. The head tube, for example, is extended because if you raise up the top tube on a large frame size bike you lose the triangulation of the main frame.

Before going custom check out the 2008 TREK range. Yes that's right TREK.

They have added thier "performance" geometry range, and added an extra size. The largest frame has a 61cm top tube and 25cm tall head tube with less than 72.5deg seat angle. This is the biggest stock size frame I know of.

A long stem, spacers, and long seat post and you might get to a decent fitting bike without having to spend as much as going custom.

You also get the choice of Al or fantastic lastest technology CF frames.

(No I don't work for Trek etc, just really impressed with what they have bought out in 2008)

In case you are interested, I noticed some company on Amazon selling an extra large cruiser, fit for riders 6'3" and over. I don't remember what it was called or who had it.

TR1 said:

What kind of budget do you have to work with?

Why not just update the components on your current bike frame with a new set of Campagnolo Record/Chorus components + a 180mm Record crankset?

Who made your current frame? Have him/her respace the rear triangle (if it isn't already 130mm) & change the steerer to one that is threadless.

WATERFORD (the remnant of Schwinn's Paramount division) is a custom frame builder you may want to consider ...

GUNNAR may be willing to cobble up a semi-custom frame that is the right size for you -- just e-mail Richard Schwinn, and ask.

CANNONDALE may be willing to cobble up a custom frame for you ... they made a custom bike for LeBron James (last year? ... James is a major shareholder, now).

When you are Lebron James, you get all sorts of cool stuff made for you (since most normal things don't fit you) and then they market the hell out of it.

As you also pointed out his investment team supported Lebron's new found interest in cycling and put a stack of cash into Cannondale. Second reason for the company to bend over backwards for him. I doubt the company has a custom shop that services the general public (rather just does "special orders" and prototype work.)

alfeng said:
What kind of budget do you have to work with?

Why not just update the components on your current bike frame with a new set of Campagnolo Record/Chorus components + a 180mm Record crankset?

Who made your current frame? Have him/her respace the rear triangle (if it isn't already 130mm) & change the steerer to one that is threadless.

WATERFORD (the remnant of Schwinn's Paramount division) is a custom frame builder you may want to consider ...

GUNNAR may be willing to cobble up a semi-custom frame that is the right size for you -- just e-mail Richard Schwinn, and ask.

CANNONDALE may be willing to cobble up a custom frame for you ... they made a custom bike for LeBron James (last year? ... James is a major shareholder, now).

Your frame-which is the part you most need the special sizing-is likely less out of date than the componentry, just update the components. Or, if you are upgrading a lot of the components, buy a donar bike and move the parts off to your frame.