The Cycling Press in the UK

foxvi

Aug 23, 2004
I bought the two leading cycle publications, Procycling and Cycle Sport in the UK this month and was very disappointed in the contents. Okay they covered the Landis case in some depth but hardly mentioned the riders who where suspended by pro teams because of the investigation by Spanish Police. No journalist on these two magazines seems to have taken the Operation Puerto documents which have been available on the internet for weeks and gone through them. I know Cycleheroes is in the process of doing an article on the papers and Radsport in Germany has published an article this week pointing out all the almost daily inaccurate accusations against Ullrich but I would be interested in what other countries press and media have been up to. The Spanish, French and German media seem to be quite happy to print anything they want with no accuracy but just want to prove the ‘58’ guilty, especially Ullrich and Basso.

Most of us on this forum are aware of the inconsistencies of the evidence under OP, so why are journalists not investigating and reporting this? Are they scared of legal action from riders, or getting on the wrong side of the UCI, or upsetting sponsors and teams? I find these two magazines actions and contents strange as the fans buy these publications and I as a fan want facts and investigative journalism, not the promise of a ‘Drug Free Sport’ if I wear a wrist band that will be free with the next issue?!