Told you the PCC was toothless. Parris adjudication.

spindrift

Guest
Dear Sir

As you may know, the PCC received a large number of complaints about
the Matthew Parris article about which you recently raised concerns.

The Commission has now assessed whether the article in question,
headlined “What’s smug and deserves to be decapitated”, breached the
terms of the Code of Practice (which can be seen on our website at
Press Complaints Commission >> Welcome). While it acknowledged the
deep concerns that many readers had about the piece, the Commission’s
decision was that there was no breach of the Code and a full
explanation is enclosed. Please let me know if you would like further
clarification of the reasons for the Commission’s decision.

Although the Commission has come to this view, we will be writing to
the editor of the Times to let him know the scale of complaints we
received about Mr Parris’ column.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which your complaint has been
handled - as opposed to the Commission’s decision itself - you should
write within one month to the independent Charter Commissioner, whose
details can be found on our website.

Thank you for taking this matter up with us.

Yours sincerely

Patrick Evenden
Administration Manager

PCC Ruling

Various v The Times

The Commission wished first to acknowledge the strong concerns raised
by many complainants that the article was an incitement to violence
against cyclists. It was clear that Mr Parris’ remarks about
decapitating cyclists – whatever his (presumably humorous) intention
had been – had caused considerable disquiet. Indeed, the Commission
was pleased to note that he had apologised for his comments in his
column of 3 January.

However, suggestions that the article was, as a result of the remarks,
a breach of the criminal law were not matters for the PCC. The
Commission’s task is to examine complaints that are framed within the
terms of the Code of Practice and it could do no more in this
instance.

As such, while noting the anger the article had caused, the question
for the Commission to answer was whether it was in breach of the
Code. It concluded that it was not.

With regard to Clause 1 (Accuracy), a number of complainants had
suggested that the article erred by claiming that cyclists were
responsible for littering hedgerows along country lanes. Complainants
had argued that Mr Parris provided no evidence that litter he had seen
was left by passing cyclists. In dealing with this complaint the
Commission emphasised the provisions of section iii) of Clause 1,
which says that “the press, while free to be partisan, must
distinguish clearly between comment, conjecture and fact”. On this
occasion, noting that the article was obviously marked as being a
platform for Mr Parris’ own views and experiences, the Commission
considered that the newspaper had sufficiently distinguished
conjecture from fact. It was undoubtedly the columnist’s opinion that
cyclists were responsible for the littering he had encountered; he was
entitled to present his view robustly.

Some complainants had sought to engage Clause 4 (Harassment) of the
Code of Practice. However, the Commission emphasised that this part
of the Code relates to the physical behaviour of journalists and not
to published material. As such, the article could not constitute a
breach of Clause 4.

The third Clause of the Code identified by a number of complaints was
Clause 12 (Discrimination). Here too, however, there could be no
breach. Clause 12 lists a number of things that the press must not
refer to pejoratively when talking about an individual: race, colour,
religion, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental illness or
disability. Preferred method of transport is not included in the
list.

Some complainants, as well as referring to specific Clauses of the
Code of Practice, had cited the preamble to the Code in their
submissions. The preamble, which sets the context for the Code, says
that “all members of the press have a duty to maintain the highest
professional standards” and explains that the Code must be honoured in
the full spirit as well as to the letter. However, the professional
standards to which the preamble refers are encapsulated in the 16
numbered Clauses which follow. Since the Commission had found the
article not to breach any of those Clauses, it concluded that there
was no breach of the Code of Practice overall. The fact that
complainants had obviously found the piece highly distasteful was not
a matter for the PCC since questions of taste fall outside its remit.

spindrift <[email protected]> wrote in news:274c18f0-320d-4730-bd01-
[email protected]:

Presumably they have teeth, just chose not to use them as the article
hadn't broken their rules. IMO Parris' mistake was to call for the comedy
killing of cyclists in a way that had actually been tried several times in
recent years. They'd have been barely a ripple if he'd have gone for a
more comedy killing - bludgeoned to death with rotten cucumbers for
example.

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 03:23:15 -0800 (PST) someone who may be
spindrift <[email protected]> quoted this:-

>Some complainants, as well as referring to specific Clauses of the
>Code of Practice, had cited the preamble to the Code in their
>submissions. The preamble, which sets the context for the Code, says
>that “all members of the press have a duty to maintain the highest
>professional standards” and explains that the Code must be honoured in
>the full spirit as well as to the letter. However, the professional
>standards to which the preamble refers are encapsulated in the 16
>numbered Clauses which follow.

Bollocks.

What it actually says is, "All members of the press have a duty to
maintain the highest professional standards. The Code, which
includes this preamble and the public interest exceptions below,
sets the benchmark for those ethical standards, protecting both the
rights of the individual and the public's right to know. It is the
cornerstone of the system of self-regulation to which the industry
has made a binding commitment."

http://www.pcc.org.uk/cop/practice.html

As you say toothless, I would also add the word useless.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

spindrift wrote:

> PCC Ruling
>
> Various v The Times
>
> As such, while noting the anger the article had caused, the question
> for the Commission to answer was whether it was in breach of the
> Code. It concluded that it was not.
>
> With regard to Clause 1 (Accuracy), ...
> ...the Commission
> considered that the newspaper had sufficiently distinguished
> conjecture from fact. It was undoubtedly the columnist’s opinion that
> cyclists were responsible for the littering he had encountered; he was
> entitled to present his view robustly.

A victory for free speech.

> Some complainants had sought to engage Clause 4 (Harassment)...
> .... However, the Commission emphasised that this part
> of the Code relates to the physical behaviour of journalists and not
> to published material.

Fair enough.

> The third Clause of the Code identified by a number of complaints was
> Clause 12 (Discrimination). Here too, however, there could be no
> breach. Clause 12 lists a number of things that the press must not
> refer to pejoratively when talking about an individual: race, colour,
> religion, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental illness or
> disability. Preferred method of transport is not included in the
> list.

Fair enough.

> Some complainants, as well as referring to specific Clauses of the
> Code of Practice, had cited the preamble to the Code in their
> submissions. ...
> ... Since the Commission had found the
> article not to breach any of those Clauses, it concluded that there
> was no breach of the Code of Practice overall.

Fair enough.

> The fact that
> complainants had obviously found the piece highly distasteful was not
> a matter for the PCC since questions of taste fall outside its remit.

Conclusion: Arrogant humourless whiners cannot be allowed to suppress
free speech in British newspapers - perhaps?

--
Matt B

> Conclusion: Arrogant humourless whiners cannot be allowed to suppress
> free speech in British newspapers - perhaps?

Too late, they already have

--

Nigel

Matt B wrote:

> Conclusion: Arrogant humourless whiners cannot be allowed to suppress
> free speech in British newspapers - perhaps?

If a cycling journo were to advocate dropping concrete blocks on
vehicles from motorway bridges, I wonder if the reaction from the PCC
would have been the same?

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Matt B wrote:
>
>> Conclusion: Arrogant humourless whiners cannot be allowed to suppress
>> free speech in British newspapers - perhaps?
>>

> If a cycling journo were to advocate dropping concrete blocks on
> vehicles from motorway bridges, I wonder if the reaction from the PCC
> would have been the same?

Well let's assume it was in an 'opinion' editorial, as the article in
question was. The reaction of the PCC would probably never be known, as
I doubt motorists would even "complain" about it.

--
Matt B

Matt B wrote:

>> If a cycling journo were to advocate dropping concrete blocks on
>> vehicles from motorway bridges, I wonder if the reaction from the PCC
>> would have been the same?

> Well let's assume it was in an 'opinion' editorial, as the article in
> question was. The reaction of the PCC would probably never be known, as
> I doubt motorists would even "complain" about it.

They complain about everything else...

"spindrift" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Dear Sir

>>As you may know, the PCC received a large number of complaints
>>about

the Matthew Parris article about which you recently raised concerns.
its remit.<<

[snip]

Well clause 12, about discrimination, is perfectly clear, then. If
what you ride is somebody, it's discrimination to comment on it. If
what you ride is some thing, it isn't.

I still feel that what is sauce for the goose ought to be sauce for
the gander. I don't care what choice is made, but it ought to be
consistent

Jeremy Parker