Too old to become a pro?

yellow7

Aug 9, 2005
I would like to become a pro road cyclist after I finish my commiitment with the Air Force. I wonder If I am too old to even consider trying. I will be 25 in 06 when my hitch is up. 25 seems old in the cycling world. Brian

yellow7 said:
I would like to become a pro road cyclist after I finish my commiitment with the Air Force. I wonder If I am too old to even consider trying. I will be 25 in 06 when my hitch is up. 25 seems old in the cycling world. Brian
Are you one of the very fastest guys you know? Are you consistently a threat to win in local races against the 1/2/Pro field, sometimes with ease? If you don't really know the answer to these questions, see how those challenges go before worrying about that contract.

I wouldn't think 25 would be an issue if your riding fitness and racing experience is already at the appropriate level. Now, if you're talking about just getting into cycling next year, then that'd be a different story, as it can take several years for your body to adapt.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is pro, and there is Pro-Tour pro.

There are plenty of guys who get paid to turn up, they don't get much and they certainly can't live off it but technically they are pros. I don't want to discourage anyone, but you will know if you are pro-tour material. George Hencapie, as a junior, won 17 straight pro/1/2 races here in the US and even then he could 'only' finish 7th at the Junior Worlds.

I can't speak for the UK but I know of a, yes only one, guy that went pro at nearly 30 (that's not Pro-Tour, but he is still a make a living pro).

Ludo Dierxcksens turned pro at 30 and just retired at 41.

Mike Engleman (US based pro in the 90's) started racing bikes at 27.

25 is not to old, but you better have talent now and not be just another guy with "potential".

Like the other posters said, you have to be winning local races on a regular basis and without much difficulty if you plan on moving beyond being a top amateur.

Also, if you are going to live the dream, do it where you can race against the best competition often.

Dag Otto Lauritzen was 24 when he first began cycling after returning from a major injury. 1 year later he was in the national team. He later won a stage in the tour. I think he was a runner of some sort before the injury.

Part of the reason people don't turn professional, if they have not been racing since the ages of 20-22, is due to results. It takes a very long time to be able to develop an impressive list of races you have won, podium'd, placed top 5 or top 10 in. Unless you win Univest GP, it's pretty hard to get noticed.

The question you have to ask yourself is, do you really want to be a domestic pro? It takes alot of work and you will be paid almost nothing. 10k a year if you're lucky... I think you'd make more working at Starbucks. Plus, when it rains, you're still racing, regardless of how you feel. I'd guess that a large part of being a pro is having absolutely no fear of cornering, crashing, and leaning on people/getting leaned on. You really have to be able to ride your bike well, and you have to be willing to put out huge wattage numbers repeatedly for your teammates. It requires finishing every race completely exhausted...

So if that's what you want, go for it.

The vast majority of US-based pros are barely surviving and most are either trying to finish up a degree and or have some other job. Don't be fooled by lance's lifestyle, very few are at that level. A domestic pro is going to spend much of his career cold, tired, wet, hungry and staying in a wide array of questionable quality guest housing. Very few will be able to carve out a decent living. Not trying to squash your dream, but cyclists are the antithesis of what most people think of when they hear the term "professional athlete".

Hey I am just about to go into the Air Force! I'm 20, and have realized that trying to go pro is not worth it. I made it to cat 2, and right now I am happy with it.

Sure you could turn pro with a small div 3 US team, if you are getting wins in your local 1/2 races consistently. Otherwise, you still need to improve, and there is time. 26 is not old at all.