Tour de France Advice for 1st timer?

PortFJ62

Apr 6, 2010
My wife and I are going to be traveling around Spain during July and want to catch a few of the stages that will be in the Pyrenees. This will be our first time out of the country and I am having a hard time trying to figure out the best approach to see the race. Would like to rent some type of euro van/camper but the cost is really high. Not sure about where to stay either. Many places are already booked so any advice would be greatly appreciated! I read that renting a car/camping and driving up the stage area at least a day in advance is the only way to get a spot?

Thanks
Matt

Hello Matt,
Good to hear that you want to see the Tour this year, renting a camping van is a bit expensive and not always easy to drive and park. Maybe renting a car and doing camping is the cheapest and best option, as for looking at the Tour, the best spots are not always on top of passes, it you take the Tourmalet (East side) the bottom of the climb right after Sainte Marie de Campan offers some very steep parts, I would recommend you could park around Ste Marie and walk a little bit. This is just an example. In any case I wish you a pleasant trip to the Pyrenees ! :)