track races vs. road races

cycler1217

Feb 21, 2010
ive had trouble finding a road race event in my area but there is a velodrome near by, but i am in possession of only a road bike and i was wondering if i could use that in a track race or is that against the rules ? comments advice, stories are welcome .

No, you most likely won't be able to race a road bike at sanctioned velodrome races, unless things have dramatically changed and no one told me. :D The rules are quite strict. You can't even use road wheels with skewers, and when I rode the velodrome about 15 years ago, we even had to use special track wheel nuts with rounded ends, like this:

si_UEw150h150_Dura%20Ace%20Track%20Wheelnut.jpeg

cycler1217 said:
ive had trouble finding a road race event in my area but there is a velodrome near by, but i am in possession of only a road bike and i was wondering if i could use that in a track race or is that against the rules ? comments advice, stories are welcome .
To amplify -- it's a safety issue ...

Because the lower BB + sometimes longer crank arms on a Road bike could lead to the rider gouging/catching the track's surface AND/OR crashing.

FYI. A lot of tracks do have "rentals" which will give you an opportunity to see whether or not you want to buy your own bike.