Ultegra10 BB clicking noise help

BarryG

Guest
I just changed my Ultegra10 6603 cranks out from a 172.5 to a 165. Now
there's a slight clicking noise that wasn't there before. I believe
everything was installed properly, using a Park BBT-9. Was looking for some
helpful advice.

Also can someone confirm that the collar/ring that goes on the axle at the
drive side should have the side with the segmented gaps toward the crank?
Finally, can the bearings be repacked? If so, advice on removing the seals?

Thanks for any help,
Barry

BarryG wrote:
> I just changed my Ultegra10 6603 cranks out from a 172.5 to a 165. Now
> there's a slight clicking noise that wasn't there before. I believe
> everything was installed properly, using a Park BBT-9. Was looking for some
> helpful advice.
>
> Also can someone confirm that the collar/ring that goes on the axle at the
> drive side should have the side with the segmented gaps toward the crank?
> Finally, can the bearings be repacked? If so, advice on removing the seals?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Barry

Prep the frame?
Lots of grease into the shell?
Cups in tight?
Grease onto the BB spindle?
Crank 'pushed' on with the little plastic tool?
Pinch bolts to torque?

Pedals greased and tight into the cranks?

Bearings are throwaway, not replaceable inside the cups.

> BarryG wrote:
> > I just changed my Ultegra10 6603 cranks out from a 172.5 to a 165. Now
> > there's a slight clicking noise that wasn't there before. I believe
> > everything was installed properly, using a Park BBT-9. Was looking for

some
> > helpful advice.
> >
> > Also can someone confirm that the collar/ring that goes on the axle at

the
> > drive side should have the side with the segmented gaps toward the

crank?
> > Finally, can the bearings be repacked? If so, advice on removing the

seals?

> > Thanks for any help,
> > Barry

> Prep the frame?
> Lots of grease into the shell?
> Cups in tight?
> Grease onto the BB spindle?
> Crank 'pushed' on with the little plastic tool?
> Pinch bolts to torque?
>
> Pedals greased and tight into the cranks?
>
> Bearings are throwaway, not replaceable inside the cups.

Thanks for the good advice. Yes on all counts and I completely reassembled
the crank/bb to be sure. I now suspect a misdiagnosis originally. I had
also swapped out the top 3 cog cluster on the cassette from 21-23-25 to
21-24-27 and believe that some of the clicking/creaking may be coming from
that cog group. The noise is really bad when climbing hard in the 21 cog.