what do I need to convert my english racer style bars to straight riser style

BillMarukin

Dec 5, 2010
I own 2 Marukin 400 bikes racer stlyle. I want to change the handle bars to a straight riser type. What hardware ( handle bars and brake levers do I need and where do I get the hardware. Thanks Bill

Do a search for "flat bar conversion" and you'll find a lot to read. w/o a detailed spec for that bike easily available it'll take some detective work.

We need to know what type of drivetrain you have, including number of gears front and back, and type and location of the shifters. A picture of the bike would also help. Steve

You've answered your own question. Brakes and handle bars. The best place to buy them is on eBay. Make sure that the diameter of the new handle bar where it clamps in the stem is the same as the clamping diameter of the old bar.

If memory serves me right, I believe the M-400 came as 12-speed bikes with down tube shifters. You can still use your down tube shifters of you can change your shifters to handle bar mounted thumb shifters. If you change the shifters, you will want a shifter that has at least 6 positions for the rear and at least two positions for the front. Just to be sure, before looking for shifters, count the number of gears that you have on your rear cassette and make sure that the rear shifter has the same number of positions as the number of gears on the cassette. Count the number of chain rings that are on your crankset and make sure that you are getting a shifter that has the same number of positions as the number of chain rings that are on your crankset. . If the shifters that you get have one more position than the exact number that you need, you can still use them and ignore the extra positions as long as your high and low adjustments are correct on your derailleurs.

Often times, the shifters and brakes will be assembled into one unit, but not always. You probably have standard road bike side pull brakes on your Marukin. If so, it is OK to use brakes that are made for center pull cantilever brakes but you want to stay away from levers that are are made for V brakes due to the longer pull of the V brakes. Your brake handle will be pulled almost to the stop before the brakes begin to actuate if you get V brake brake handles. Some brake handles have two locations to attach the cable, one for center pull cantilevers and one for V brakes. Make sure that you get one that will work with center pull cantilever brakes.

Marukin bikes were pretty nice bikes back in the 1980's. They have a good durable lugged steel frame and the ones that I had the opportunity to ride all were pretty sweet.