What service

Tom Crispin

Guest
On Monday, on the way back to school from a swimming lesson, one child
complained about a funny noise from their bike. I told her to change
up a gear then down a gear. She did this. Later, cycling up a steep
hill, the rear mech got caught in the spokes, causing the gears to
become inoperable. The girl had to push the Islabikes Beinn 26 back
to school.

I sent an email to Isla Rowentree, explaining the problem. I had an
email back this morning explaining that her bikes use a replaceable
derailleur hanger, which will bend if the bike is dropped or crashed
on the right side. The part is sacrificial to protect the more
expensive parts. She went on to suggest that this problem might recur
and has dropped half a dozen spares in the post.

"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Later, cycling up a steep
> hill, the rear mech got caught in the spokes, causing the gears to
> become inoperable. The girl had to push the Islabikes Beinn 26 back
> to school.

Make sure the initial problem wasn't a badly adjusted stop screw though,
rather than a bent hangar. Guess you've checked for spoke damage and out of
true rear wheel too.

Jc.

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:20:43 +0100, "Josey" <jc@nospam> wrote:

>"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Later, cycling up a steep
>> hill, the rear mech got caught in the spokes, causing the gears to
>> become inoperable. The girl had to push the Islabikes Beinn 26 back
>> to school.

>Make sure the initial problem wasn't a badly adjusted stop screw though,
>rather than a bent hangar. Guess you've checked for spoke damage and out of
>true rear wheel too.

There is spoke damage, but the wheel is still true.

"Tom Crispin" wrote
> I sent an email to Isla Rowentree, explaining the problem. I had an
> email back this morning explaining that her bikes use a replaceable
> derailleur hanger, which will bend if the bike is dropped or crashed
> on the right side. The part is sacrificial to protect the more
> expensive parts.

Nephew's bike had a crash and der hanger got bent. Brother-in-law was very
irate at the poor quality metal used in hanger and, being a handy sort of
chap, was all set to make a much stronger one to replace it. However, he
first made a complaining visit to LBS whereupon they opened a drawer full of
spares and handed him one with a full explanation. Exit red-faced.