What's the most unfriendly city/country toward bicycles?

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Burn Gum! It Melts!) wrote:
>
> >If any motorist said that to me, they'd get a hammer through their window. I don't take ********
> >off those losers. If they want to mess with me, they're messing with the wrong guy.
>
> Yeah, how stable can a guy who rides a bike with a hammer be? ;-)

I don't know but I'd say the guy with the Hummer will always beat the guy with the hammer... ;)

http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

The Silver Comet is an excellent bike trail in Atlanta, at least if you're in the west suburbs.
OTOH, getting therre can be a problem. A lot of the local roads are quite narrow for the amount of
traffic they carry. I thought the drivers were quite attentive, IMHO

news:[email protected]...

"Burn Gum! It Melts!" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On 26 Aug 2003 14:00:00 -0700, [email protected] (bikerider7) said:
>
> >If the category is 'country' then the answer is obvious:
> >
> >Saudi Arabia.
> >
> >Women are not allowed to ride bicycles and face severe punishment from the religious police if
> >they try to do so.
>
> Of course Bush is a strong supporter of the government of Saudi Arabia.
>
> --
>
> I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative!

I'VE RIDDEN IN A LOT OF PLACES AND WOULD HAVE REAL TROUBLE FINDING A CONSISTENT PATTERN BETWEEN AN
AREA'S BIKE FRIENDLINESS AND ITS POLITICAL COLORATION.

[email protected] (Don Quijote) wrote:
>Marc <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> [email protected] (Burn Gum! It Melts!) wrote:

>> >Try riding a bike on the roadway of, say, Taylor Mill Road just south of I-275.
>> >
>> >For most bicyclists who attempt this, their next ride will likely be in a hearse.
>>
>> I've heard statements about roads I commuted on for a summer. I did so without problem. If you
>> can post some numbers on cyclist fatalities on the road, I'll listen. Otherwise, I'll take it as
>> I did for the warnings I've received - uninformed fears held by unskilled and timid people.
>>
>So what you do, take your brave family kids and all on any major street?

Do you ban your kids from crossing the street until they are 18 under the fear that they will
get run over?

Marc For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"

"Ron Wallenfang" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Burn Gum! It Melts!" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On 26 Aug 2003 14:00:00 -0700, [email protected] (bikerider7) said:
> >
> > >If the category is 'country' then the answer is obvious:
> > >
> > >Saudi Arabia.
> > >
> > >Women are not allowed to ride bicycles and face severe punishment from the religious police if
> > >they try to do so.
> >
> > Of course Bush is a strong supporter of the government of Saudi Arabia.
> >
> > --
> >
> > I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative!
>
> I'VE RIDDEN IN A LOT OF PLACES AND WOULD HAVE REAL TROUBLE FINDING A CONSISTENT PATTERN BETWEEN AN
> AREA'S BIKE FRIENDLINESS AND ITS POLITICAL COLORATION.

I've found a real political coloration pattern among SUV addicts. They lean toward the right wing
hallelujah type...

They also vote for war, so long as it is not them who go...

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Mike Vermeulen) writes:

>p.s. Some close runner ups, though they were better than Miami Beach: -- Longbeach, California on
> the PCH -- Colby, Kansas downtown

Now I've only driven through Colby (a fairly sleepy town in Western Kansas) but am surprised to see
it garner dishonerable mention. howcome?

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

>Now I've only driven through Colby (a fairly sleepy town in Western Kansas) but am surprised to see
>it garner dishonerable mention. howcome?

I probably caught Colby on a bad day, but... -- Coming in KS 25 from the north, road construction
has bridge out and detour to east. Large (fairly well behaved) wheat trucks during wheat harvest. --
Following detour downtown, cobblestones and then more closed streets with most of the downtown
ripped up -- Within a two block area that was narrowed due to construction, one car with loud "get
off the road" type honk and two police cars zooming past, only to stop short block away and pick up
cones. -- About average "strip" from downtown to I-70.

I'm sure it is a nice quiet and sleepy town, particularly when they finish tearing up downtown and
the impatient drivers I encountered have a day off...and wheat harvest is done...but this was enough
to get Colby on the list.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen

Marc <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> >So what you do, take your brave family kids and all on any major street?
>
> Do you ban your kids from crossing the street until they are 18 under the fear that they will get
> run over?

I hope they never try you for child abuse... ;)

[email protected] (Brent P) wrote:
>>>Here's how I avoid those problems, I use the roadway.
>>
>> Try riding a bike on the roadway of, say, Taylor Mill Road just south of I-275.
>
>Don't even know what state you are talking about.

Kentucky, just 5 miles or so south from Cincinnati, Ohio (another "bicyclist's hell").

>> For most bicyclists who attempt this, their next ride will likely be in a hearse.
.. at some

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

> > Saudi Arabia.
>
> OTOH, the weather is nice.

In winter, yes. In summer, 60 degrees Celsius and more. You can walk or cycle outside for about 10
min before you start getting problems.