wrinkles in Cornea/Sclera

gman0482

Aug 13, 2009
Hello all,

I've been having some regular allergies this summer, usually sinus and some mild eye redness.

This morning I woke up with a very red right eye and a bit swollen. Afer washing up and putting in some drops, it seemed a little better but still reddish. Then I noticed that when I looked left, turning the eye to the nose, the inner white part of my eye wrinkled up. I'm pretty sure it was clear looking which I think is the cornea, but not sure. I know the internet is not recommended for medical answers, but I'll wait and see how it looks tomorrow, and if not better, I'll visit the optometrist.

I've been putting some warm cloths soaked in tea on it for now.

Any info on this would be great.
Thanks.
-Greg

Greg head to the ER. Most medical plans cover the ER but few cover the Optometrist.

gman0482 said:
I've been putting some warm cloths soaked in tea on it for now.

Is that a home brewed remedy?

I know, replies like this really take the biscuit but sometimes I do like to milk a bad joke but in this case I don't mean to stir the pot. I'd put a few eyedrops in and leaf it alone for an hour and see what happens.

Rather than head off to the ER, your local docs or urgent care at the hospital might be able to offer advise with a much lower co-pay than the ER.

Just to get this out there for everyone. ER docs and even GPs know sh!t about ophthalmology. The Interns at UCSF who come through my work on their ophthalmology rotation spend 4 hours following a general ophthalmologist every week for a month. I know way more about the eye than your GP. I can't tell you how many times the doctor I work for has had an ER doc send a patient home with numbing drops that will literally melt the cornea, or a PCP who's given a combination antibiotic/steroid to a patient with Herpes basically ensuring the patient will have serious complications, or given an antibiotic for a red painful eye that was very sensitive to light when the problem was iritis and needed a steroid!

And don't get me started on the 'get the red out drops.'

Bottom line go see an eye doctor. With a medical diagnosis your medical insurance will cover it and virtually anything with a 'red eye' has a medical diagnosis.

Went to the opthalmologist, said it was just allergies or something I was around, perscribed over-the-counter drops and that was it.

To answer your post swamp, not a joke. I brewe a cup of regular tea, let it sit and cool down to warm, soak a cotton cloth in it, and place it over the eye. I do it for about 15-20 minutes. It's an old and helpful remedy, I'm surprised someone as wise as you never heard of it. ;)

gman0482 said:
Went to the opthalmologist, said it was just allergies or something I was around, perscribed over-the-counter drops and that was it.

To answer your post swamp, not a joke. I brewe a cup of regular tea, let it sit and cool down to warm, soak a cotton cloth in it, and place it over the eye. I do it for about 15-20 minutes. It's an old and helpful remedy, I'm surprised someone as wise as you never heard of it. ;)

Had you been rubbing your eyes a lot?

alienator said:
Had you been rubbing your eyes a lot?

No I really try keeping my hands away unless something's in my eye and I have to get it out.

Now the other eye is getting the same, not as wrinkled but very red, ichy and sticky. I'll just keep using the drops (Alaway) for now and hopefully it will go away soon. My sinus is horrible lately too, making this the worst allergy season in my life.