crank removal

Being from the square taper axle era, I've never removed a crank with
any of the new attachment methods. It's a 2001 Dura Ace crank with
Octa-link. What tool do I need? Any other tips would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

[email protected] wrote:
> Being from the square taper axle era, I've never removed a crank with
> any of the new attachment methods. It's a 2001 Dura Ace crank with
> Octa-link. What tool do I need? Any other tips would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks.

Same tool but with a little metal "mushroom" to plug the end of the
oversize axle. They can be bought separately, or they come with new
cranksets.

[email protected] wrote:
> Being from the square taper axle era, I've never removed a crank with
> any of the new attachment methods. It's a 2001 Dura Ace crank with
> Octa-link. What tool do I need? Any other tips would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks.

It is most likely the Shimano "self extracting" system. Just loosen
the big allen bolt in the crank arm, and the arm will come off. More
details can be found here:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=120

Cheers,

Josh

[email protected] wrote:
> Being from the square taper axle era, I've never removed a crank with
> any of the new attachment methods. It's a 2001 Dura Ace crank with
> Octa-link. What tool do I need? Any other tips would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks.

Many octa/isis cranks have self-extractors which are generally fine to
use, but if you have the option it does make sense to not use them in
order to save wear on the parts. (Maybe all octalink cranks have self
extractors, not sure though).

To extract them using a seperate tool you either need an oversize
spindle adapter, which is just a little nubby thing that a regular
extractor can contact which has a wider other end to contact the
spindle, a tool that's specific to oversize spindles (Park makes one,
not sure about others and it's kinda pointless to have it be specific),
or a tool that's swappable to work with either. The nubby thing
(shimano tl-fc15) is cheap and you could probably make your own, but I
haven't done that. All of these work with both octalink and isis.

[email protected] wrote:

> Being from the square taper axle era, I've never removed a crank with
> any of the new attachment methods. It's a 2001 Dura Ace crank with
> Octa-link. What tool do I need?

Crank thread is still 22mm as always. You need to drop
something over that big opening with an older puller.
Shimano's plug, TL-FC-15 or anything that diameter.

Peter reports an axle inside the spindle, off side crank
bolt still in place, works too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org