Best way to secure your bike?

Wherbob

Mar 27, 2006
Whats the best way to secure my bike to something while I go into the store. I need something with a little reach, I have a U bar that locks across the wheels and frame and I have a thick cable with a padlock that I use. Is there a better way that I'm not aware of?

I don't know why but I'm paranoid with my newest bike, seems like its eye candy to a lot of people when they walk by it. I'm not liking the attention its getting.

Thanks

Wherbob said:
Whats the best way to secure my bike to something while I go into the store. I need something with a little reach, I have a U bar that locks across the wheels and frame and I have a thick cable with a padlock that I use. Is there a better way that I'm not aware of?

I don't know why but I'm paranoid with my newest bike, seems like its eye candy to a lot of people when they walk by it. I'm not liking the attention its getting.

Thanks
Yeah, with your eyes. I always bring my bike in the store so I can keep a watchful eye and a small lock I carry in my tool bag. If you have to buy something and the store won't let you take the bike take the bus or drive to the store and leave the bike inside.

Well I ride everywhere, I love to ride and thats why I have my bikes. To take a bus or drive is not an option, I not going to not ride in fear of gettin my bike stolen. Just looking for the best way to lock up my bike?

Wherbob said:

Thanks
If I have a new and expensive bike , I will bring the bike into the store .
If i cannot get in the store with my bike , I will find another store .

How about using an old Raleigh three speed type for your city/beater bike? They have a different feel from a road bike, obviously, but it is a good feel and look for errands and transportation. You can find one cheap, without quick release hubs, keep it outside all the time, ride it in the rain because it has full fenders and ride it with your street shoes/boots. It feels right for riding around town. Also, if you get a cheap rack and attach a milk crate to the back to carry your stuff, your Raleigh will be cool in a way Cannondale could never touch, no matter how beat up your old Raleigh looks (you can still keep it it good condition). And then when you get back on your road bike you will have a new appreciation for the different feels and functions of the different rides.

If you have to ride your sweet road bike on errands, I have seen bikes locked with multiple cables and U-locks and old chain links locking the seat to the frame. But what a hassle. I prefer to just use one lock outside at home or away and have it there so I can just jump on and go.