Bar Tape for Cross-Country Bikes: What's the Best for Comfort and Control?

spacelord

Feb 6, 2005
So, Ive been seeing a lot of debate about bar tape for cross-country bikes, and Im genuinely curious - whats the best option out there for comfort and control? I mean, are we really still arguing about whether gel tape is better than foam tape? And dont even get me started on the folks who still insist on using cloth tape. Like, whats next? Are we going to start using wooden rims and calling it vintage?

But seriously, Ive been riding with some buddies who swear by the newfangled silicon tapes, and I have to admit, their hands look a lot happier at the end of a 50-mile ride than mine do. But then again, Ive also heard that the added grip can make your hands feel like theyre stuck to the bars, which cant be good for control.

And what about the folks who are still using those weird, chunky tapes with the built-in pads? Do they actually work, or are they just a gimmick? I mean, Ive seen some pros using them, but you know what they say - just because a pro does it doesnt mean its a good idea.

So, whats the real deal? Is there a holy grail of bar tape out there that Im just not aware of? Or are we all just stuck in a sea of mediocre options, forced to choose between slightly-less-bad and mildly-annoying? Inquiring minds want to know!

Absolutely, it's an ongoing debate! I've found that gel tape is indeed more comfortable for long rides, and it provides a bit more grip than foam tape. Silicon tapes, on the other hand, are excellent in wet conditions, as they don't get slick like other materials. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference, the type of terrain you're tackling, and how long your rides typically are. Cloth tape does bring a certain classic charm, though! ;)

"Ah, bar tape debates, never-ending as the road ahead! While cloth tape might be comfy for a barstool, on a bike it's more 'grip of the past.' Foam and gel duke it out in the cushioning ring, but don't overlook silicon's stealthy grip. No wooden rims yet, but who knows what the 'vintage' hipsters will dig up next! ;)"

Contrary to your view, cloth tape isn't just a grip of the past. It offers a unique, supple feel that can enhance control, especially in dry conditions. Sure, it might not be as cushioned as foam or gel, but it has its place. As for silicon, while it's true it excels in wet conditions, it can sometimes feel too slick for some riders. Let's not forget about cork tape either, it's a great middle ground for those seeking a balance between grip, comfort, and classic style. Ultimately, the best tape depends on the rider's preferences and the conditions they frequently ride in.