10/11 speed compatability

mjpolo

Jul 6, 2009
I have a 10 speed Record group on my Colnago and just bought a new frame that I am setting up. Question is what is the best approach to allow me to use my campy wheels on both bikes?

1. Put together another 10 speed Campy group through Ebay
2. Adopt 11 speed and swap out cassettes when swapping wheels between bikes (upgrade old 10 spd shifters and chain at later date)
3. I heard I could run SRAM 10 speed with Campy wheels....
4. Other?

Depends on what you want. Do you want 11 speeds, or are you chuffed with 10? If you want 11 spd on the new frame, swapping cassettes on a wheel is dead easy, but iffin' that's the route you go, I'd just buy another wheelset. It can be nice having a second wheelset.

Spacing on a SRAM cassette is significantly different than Campy. Maybe it would shift, but it won't shift ideally. On the other hand, if you want to run SRAM, you could buy a Shimano freehub for your Campy wheels and then just change freehubs when necessary. It's a tad more involved than changing a cassette but not much.

IMHO, you should just buy another wheelset. Were you planning on having a second wheelset or instead having one frame, at any given time, without wheels?

Yeah, I'd go with the second wheelset option, too. Heck, if you insist, you could just go buy a second rear wheel, and swap out front wheels only.

In the interest of not making this overly complex I didn't introduce the fact I have a powertap and would like to use it on both bikes. I already have a second set of wheels and could put the 11 speed cassette on them....

Ah, I see. In that case, swap the cassettes. Takes less than five minutes (maybe one once you're good at it :D). I'd recommend getting the original Campagnolo lockring tool if you go that route. It fits noticeably better than the one that Park Tools sells; if you use it a lot, then it's worth the couple of bucks, IMHO.

Check to be sure that the PT hub will work with an 11 spd cassette. There are just a few hubs that don't, and I don't know if PT hubs are one of 'em.

alienator said:
Check to be sure that the PT hub will work with an 11 spd cassette. There are just a few hubs that don't, and I don't know if PT hubs are one of 'em.

Yeah, I think White Industries for one don't work with 11-speed Campy, yet. The Powertap works though, I have one fitted out with an 11-speed cassette. Works fine.

mjpolo said:
I have a 10 speed Record group on my Colnago and just bought a new frame that I am setting up. Question is what is the best approach to allow me to use my campy wheels on both bikes?

1. Put together another 10 speed Campy group through Ebay
2. Adopt 11 speed and swap out cassettes when swapping wheels between bikes (upgrade old 10 spd shifters and chain at later date)
3. I heard I could run SRAM 10 speed with Campy wheels....
4. Other?

Swap the cassette. Sram(or shimano) 10s spacing and Campagnolo 10s doesn't work that well.

Lockring tool, chainwhip, big wrench and bob's yer uncle.