rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

10 mm BC axle = BAD!

Started by Spudman · · Last activity · 11 posts · 284 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
15 November 2005
Last activity
16 November 2005
Original author
Spudman
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
284
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, it finally happened. After many jumps and drops and flying across
    parking lots my BC wheel has broken. Let this be a lesson to all: Do
    not us a 10 mm axle on your BC! Or at least don't jump with it.

    I may sell the plates later, but I'm not sure.

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: bcbroken2.jpg |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/10654 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    Spudman

    |[/B] B B *|* THIS SPACE OWNED BY FLY :COOL:
    *|* I O *|* THIS SPACE OWNED BY FREES*TYLER!*
    *|* L A *|* *MERCYME OWNS THIS SPACE!!!
    [b]|* L R *|* This space owned by unijesse
    *|* - D *|* This space rendered by forrest
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44737

  2. anyone know the axle diameter on a standard Yuni BC? or on a bedford BC?

    --
    TheBadger587

    Gliding, finally.

    AIM:TheBadger587
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44737

  3. I'm totally getting a BC soon.

    --
    Skippii

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44737

  4. Oooh, ouchy.

    I don't want a BC, because its just another thing that I'll get hooked
    on, and I'll end up wanting more and better, etc etc etc.

    I really shouldnt start it.

    --
    forrestunifreak

    forrestuniETgmailDITcom

    warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
    it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
    it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
    and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
    'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    forrestunifreak's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6828
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44737

  5. Out of curiosity, how long did the 10mm last? Because that's probably
    what I'll be using.

    --
    Skippii

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44737

  6. Skippii said:

    Out of curiosity, how long did the 10mm last? Because that's probably
    what I'll be using.

    This particular one lasted a little over 2 months. I rode it almost
    every day over that period, but I think jumping is what really did it
    in. For just coasting a 10 mm works just fine, but any jumps/drops
    really need a thicker hub.

    At least now I have the motivation to build a new bc wheel. I have
    been thinking about other plate designs (that I can't possibly make,
    but still...)

    Such as:

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: bcplate.gif |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/10670 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    Spudman

    |[/B] B B *|* THIS SPACE OWNED BY FLY :COOL:
    *|* I O *|* THIS SPACE OWNED BY FREES*TYLER!*
    *|* L A *|* *MERCYME OWNS THIS SPACE!!!
    [b]|* L R *|* This space owned by unijesse
    *|* - D *|* This space rendered by forrest
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44737

  7. Spudman said:

    For just coasting a 10 mm works just fine, but any jumps/drops really
    need a thicker hub.

    I don't know about that. My old BC axle didn't break, but it bent
    enough to make the wheel bind. This was without any jumps or drops at
    all, just hopping on while it was rolling. Don't waste too much effort
    building around a skinny axle. You might be able to replace your
    existing axle in the same hub, for minimal expense.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44737

  8. dont want to be rude, but your plan isnt really good you want the nuts
    to come out for grip for hopping. I am sorry if I offnded you it wasent
    my point

    --
    maxisback
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    maxisback's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10885
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44737

  9. Nah, that was just an idea. I just keep getting all these bruises on my
    feet from protruding nuts, so I want to get rid of them. I know it
    won't have any grip, but it would work excelent for coasting. It might
    work with grip tape, too, or maybe I could just not recess the nut all
    the way so that it only sticks out a teeny bit.

    I'm just sick of having bruised feet.

    --
    Spudman

    |[/B] B B *|* THIS SPACE OWNED BY FLY :COOL:
    *|* I O *|* THIS SPACE OWNED BY FREES*TYLER!*
    *|* L A *|* *MERCYME OWNS THIS SPACE!!!
    [b]|* L R *|* This space owned by unijesse
    *|* - D *|* This space rendered by forrest
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44737

  10. I personally like the nut that sticks out on my 14mm axle, it allows me
    to hook myself in while I ride, while still allowing me to hop off when
    I get goin way too fast. Although, making it a bit rounder on the
    bottom would prevent alot of foot bruises.

    --
    Catboy

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)
    Gallery Updated: 11/11/05

    🙂*'UPD T-Shirts ON SALE NOW!!! (Only 3
    Left!)'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44635)*🙂
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Catboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2042
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44737

  11. Here's a possible idea for keeping the grip of the axle nut without the
    pain of landing on it:

    Put something above the nut, to angle your foot away so it doesn't get
    those nasty divots. Once your feet are on the platforms you can squeeze
    them back toward the center and have the benefit of the lift without
    the pain.

    I guess a simple way to build this would be to have some additional
    metal that extends above the axle hole, and to bend it over so it
    angles down and outward, with the outer edge about equal with the edge
    of the nut. Don't use too steep an angle, or it'll still bite your
    feet.

    As I see it, one of the weak spots on BC wheels today is a tendency for
    the platforms to bend downward over time. The build process so far has
    been to just use really thick metal. You could probably make something
    lighter (though not cheaper) using thinner material and a couple of
    gussets on the underside of the platforms.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44737

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.