10 months to a competition, what to do

GeeRider

Aug 2, 2016
I've schedule only one A category race for next season. It's about 10 months away so I figure I could do Base, Build, Base, Build, Peak, Race. I feel a bit of variety helps with motivation and also boosts fitness better than over-extended base.

According to Friel's guidance for senior athletes (I'm ~50y), the development priorities are in order of importance:
Early Base: Strength, Aerobic threshold, Aerobic capacity
Late Base: Lactate threshold, Aerobic capacity, Aerobic threshold, Strength
Build: Aerobic capacity, Lactate threshold, Aerobic threshold, Strength,
Peak: Aerobic capacity, Strength

Aerobic capacity in early base is a bit odd but I guess it's ok?

Early base week could for instance be: Tu: weights, We: 60min SST, Fr: 5x5@110%FTP, Su: 120-200 min Endurance
Late base example: Tu: weights, We: 60min SST, Fr: 90 min SST, Su: 120-200 min Endurance
Build week example: Tu: 2x20@FTP, We 60min SST, Fr 2x20@FTP, Sa: 60@SST, Su: 120-200 min Endurance

Don't get stuck with weight training. I've already noticed that in my age it helps with almost everything so it will stay (although I hate it)

During winter most of the training will be indoor. If skiing is an option (hoping for a good winter) then I will adapt. Sunday rides may have higher intensity and shorter duration if done inside. If outside more time on saddle with lower intensity to cool down the brains from trainer riding.

Any comments about the approach?

Just one on the skiing. It is a good intermediate exercise for the legs but don't rely on it as a subsitute for high level aerobic exercise. Generally the duration of a run down the hill is too short. XC skiing is another matter.

That's right. Where I'm from 'skiing' means explicitly XC skiing. Downhill is downhill or alpine skiing.

I'd schedule some much earlier races in March April. Build up to those, race then, rebuild back up to A race.

10 months is a crazy long time to prep for one event. Not to mention putting so many eggs in one basket. With more races (even more A races), you have a lot more possibilities for both success, improvement, and fun.

Thanks. There will be preparing races both long 3+ hour and more intense one hour races. They won't get any priority or tapering so I consider them to be part of the training for the A. No racing before May though.

Hey,

Sounds like you've got a solid plan for your A race next season! I agree that varying your training can help with motivation and overall fitness. As for the Friel guidelines, it's interesting to see the shift in development priorities throughout the different phases. Aerobic capacity in the early base phase might seem unusual, but it's crucial for building a strong foundation.

During the late base phase, focusing on lactate threshold will be key to maintaining a high intensity without fatiguing too quickly. Make sure to incorporate both long, steady rides and shorter, more intense intervals to target various aspects of your fitness.

In the build and peak phases, keep pushing your aerobic capacity and strength, but don't neglect your lactate threshold. It's the balance of these elements that will lead to optimal performance on race day.

Happy training and best of luck in your A race! ‍♂️