10 speed (2 x 10) brake shifters (Shimano, SRAM, Campagnolo, etc)

skipilot

Feb 3, 2013
I am building a road bike from a used carbon fiber Pennarola frame. Some components such as wheels and crankset have been transferred from my totaled roadbike. Next step is to install brake/shifter system. Any recommendations that are compatible with Shimano derailleur? Someone told me that there are a few models that incorporate a "micro adjustment" or partial shift to avoid noise of chain rubbing front derailleur in certain gear combinations. If true, which models have this feature? Are the modesl with carbon fiber levers materially lighter? Thanks.

Originally Posted by skipilot .

I am building a road bike from a used carbon fiber Pennarola frame. Some components such as wheels and crankset have been transferred from my totaled roadbike. Next step is to install brake/shifter system. Any recommendations that are compatible with Shimano derailleur? Someone told me that there are a few models that incorporate a "micro adjustment" or partial shift to avoid noise of chain rubbing front derailleur in certain gear combinations. If true, which models have this feature? Are the modesl with carbon fiber levers materially lighter? Thanks.
The Shimano Di2 has the micro-adjust you mentioned. Its also very very expensive. The shifters cost around 200euros for a pair (not the Di2 ones, the Tiagra ones or something equivalent in the other brands. The Di2 probably cost around 500 or something crazy like that) and a deraileur starts at around 30 so its probably better to get a deraileur to match the shifters.

Campagnolo, Shimano and SRAM all make good stuff. There are some differences in operation. You might want to check how comfortable each shifter is and how it works to make a decision. You could also probably get some weight figures from the manufacturers websites. Campagnolo have carbon levers from their Centaur line and up, not sure about SRAM. Shimano doesnt have carbon levers until the very high end models I think (105 is with aluminium levers). There is probably not much of a weight gain just from the shifter levers.

Reactions: skipilot
skipilot said:
I am building a road bike from a used carbon fiber Pennarola frame. Some components such as wheels and crankset have been transferred from my totaled roadbike.  Next step is to install brake/shifter system.  Any recommendations that are compatible with Shimano derailleur?  Someone told me that there are a few models that incorporate a "micro adjustment" or partial shift to avoid noise of chain rubbing front derailleur in certain gear combinations. If true, which models have this feature?  Are the modesl with carbon fiber levers materially lighter?   Thanks.
Before someone can give you any relevant advise, it would be helpfull to know more about your components that you are using. Which cassette, which front and rear deraillure, and what cranks are you using. The above reply by Volnix is a good starter though.

FYI. Campagnolo mechanical shifters will work well with most Shimano derailleurs ...

Let your budget & aesthetic sensibilities be the determinant between the 10-speed & 11-speed versions.

BTW. Unlike Shimano's shifters, Campagnolo shifters are compatible with almost any cable actuated front derailleur while using almost any width chain.

SRAM shifters lack trim for their front derailleurs ...

• By my reckoning, someone in SRAM's accounting department must feel that the extra 50¢ it might cost to grind another notch-or-two in each of the LEFT shifter's indexing wheel is better handed out as a bonus to the principals of the corporation ...

• AND/OR, some clever MBA must figure that because their MTB shifters don't have trim for their front derailleurs then their Road shifters don't need it.