138 BPM

Pete

Guest
I have made up my mind to bike one half of Skyline Drive. Here is my concern; It seems that when I
am biking an 8% grade my heart rate is in the mid to high 130BPM range. According to a V02 test that
I took recently my peak AT is 163 with a V02 peak of 27.9(ml./kg/min) Skyline drive has long grades
with at least 8%. I am sure my heart rate will be at least 130 and above for an extended period of
time. I am a 56 year old male. Is this a do able task, biking the drive with an extended heart rate
such as this? I maxed out at 320 watts.

Thanks for any input.

> I have made up my mind to bike one half of Skyline Drive. Here is my concern; It seems that when I
> am biking an 8% grade my heart rate is in the mid to high 130BPM range. According to a V02 test
> that I took recently my peak AT is 163 with a V02 peak of 27.9(ml./kg/min) Skyline drive has long
> grades with at least 8%. I am sure my heart rate will be at least 130 and above for an extended
> period of time. I am a 56 year old male. Is this a do able task, biking the drive with an extended
> heart rate such as this? I maxed out at 320 watts.
>
> Thanks for any input.

Are you only doing the Skyline Drive or the BlueRidge Parkway? I have made two trips on my recumbent
on the BRP and others on a DF. I do not think you will exceed the 80% very often. Getting up to the
BRP is more of a challenge than riding along it. Screaming down those long grades at 50 mph is more
frightening than going up. For in going up you can stop and catch your breath.

I was 55 on my last ride on the BRP last May.

Here are some pics to think about.
http://www.clee.org/BikeTrips/default.cfm?main=va_trip_sept_99.cfm

Last May, 2002 on the BRP near Peaks of Otter after the Mountains of Misery ride:
http://www.clee.org/MoM2002/image029.htm http://www.clee.org/MoM2002/image030.htm
http://www.clee.org/MoM2002/image031.htm http://www.clee.org/MoM2002/image032.htm

- Bellaire, TX USA -

On 28 Jul 2003 18:02:31 -0700, [email protected] (Pete) wrote:

>I have made up my mind to bike one half of Skyline Drive. Here is my concern; It seems that when I
>am biking an 8% grade my heart rate is in the mid to high 130BPM range. According to a V02 test
>that I took recently my peak AT is 163 with a V02 peak of 27.9(ml./kg/min) Skyline drive has long
>grades with at least 8%. I am sure my heart rate will be at least 130 and above for an extended
>period of time. I am a 56 year old male. Is this a do able task, biking the drive with an extended
>heart rate such as this? I maxed out at 320 watts.

Why not take the hills more slowly? Put lower gears on your bike if necessary.