138 BPM

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Pete, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    I have made up my mind to bike one half of Skyline Drive. Here is my concern; It seems that when I
    am biking an 8% grade my heart rate is in the mid to high 130BPM range. According to a V02 test that
    I took recently my peak AT is 163 with a V02 peak of 27.9(ml./kg/min) Skyline drive has long grades
    with at least 8%. I am sure my heart rate will be at least 130 and above for an extended period of
    time. I am a 56 year old male. Is this a do able task, biking the drive with an extended heart rate
    such as this? I maxed out at 320 watts.

    Thanks for any input.

    > I have made up my mind to bike one half of Skyline Drive. Here is my concern; It seems that when I
    > am biking an 8% grade my heart rate is in the mid to high 130BPM range. According to a V02 test
    > that I took recently my peak AT is 163 with a V02 peak of 27.9(ml./kg/min) Skyline drive has long
    > grades with at least 8%. I am sure my heart rate will be at least 130 and above for an extended
    > period of time. I am a 56 year old male. Is this a do able task, biking the drive with an extended
    > heart rate such as this? I maxed out at 320 watts.
    >
    > Thanks for any input.

    Are you only doing the Skyline Drive or the BlueRidge Parkway? I have made two trips on my recumbent
    on the BRP and others on a DF. I do not think you will exceed the 80% very often. Getting up to the
    BRP is more of a challenge than riding along it. Screaming down those long grades at 50 mph is more
    frightening than going up. For in going up you can stop and catch your breath.

    I was 55 on my last ride on the BRP last May.

    Here are some pics to think about.
    http://www.clee.org/BikeTrips/default.cfm?main=va_trip_sept_99.cfm

    Last May, 2002 on the BRP near Peaks of Otter after the Mountains of Misery ride:
    http://www.clee.org/MoM2002/image029.htm http://www.clee.org/MoM2002/image030.htm
    http://www.clee.org/MoM2002/image031.htm http://www.clee.org/MoM2002/image032.htm

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. On 28 Jul 2003 18:02:31 -0700, [email protected] (Pete) wrote:

    >I have made up my mind to bike one half of Skyline Drive. Here is my concern; It seems that when I
    >am biking an 8% grade my heart rate is in the mid to high 130BPM range. According to a V02 test
    >that I took recently my peak AT is 163 with a V02 peak of 27.9(ml./kg/min) Skyline drive has long
    >grades with at least 8%. I am sure my heart rate will be at least 130 and above for an extended
    >period of time. I am a 56 year old male. Is this a do able task, biking the drive with an extended
    >heart rate such as this? I maxed out at 320 watts.

    Why not take the hills more slowly? Put lower gears on your bike if necessary.