15 Choices Instead of Eating

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Captain BlubberSlap Lives, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. Bored? 15 Choices Instead of Eating
    by Susan Woodward for MSN Health & Fitness
    Freelance

    Boredom. According to Webster’s, it’s hardly a complicated state of
    affairs. Boredom is just “the condition of being bored or uninterested.”

    But dealing with boredom is not always so simple. It is, after all, an
    emotion. And just like the way we handle other difficult emotions, the
    remedy many of us turn to is food.

    “When you’re bored, you set out to do something more productive, like
    eating,” explains George Rapitis, a high-school nutritionist in Michigan.
    “You’re trying to heal that emotion. But it’s only a temporary fix and it
    becomes a habit. You start reaching for food every time you’re bored.”

    Of course, that action can lead to weight gain and other health problems.
    So here we offer some suggestions and alternatives to try next time you
    encounter the doldrums.

    1. Stop making excuses. Once you know you engage in unhealthy eating habits
    to combat boredom, it’s time to look for other types of contentment.

    2. Walk the dog. Don’t have a dog? See point 1. Anything physical
    (preferably in the fresh outdoors) works.

    3. Listen to music. “Something like Beethoven,” encourages Rapitis. “It’s
    satisfying music with lots of notes and it’s very relaxing.”

    4. Be creative. Paint, draw, shape clay, sew some beautiful beads…Art and
    crafts are very enjoyable, and unbeatable emotional outlets, too.

    5. Take a bubble bath. “When people are bored they stagnate, there’s really
    not a lot of joy in what they do,” says Julia Trick, N.D., nutrition
    director at The Green House spa in Texas. OK, it’s the second part of her
    comment that explains why you might take a bath! A bubble bath is fun, not
    to mention restorative and indulgent. Men, this one’s for you, too!

    6. Practice deep breathing. You may need expert guidance on how to perfect
    the technique, but focused breathing could help dissipate your sense of
    boredom. Best-selling author Dr. Andrew Weil is a big proponent of the
    power of breath work.

    Choose the diet that's right for you!
    · eDiets Weight Loss Plan
    · Atkins® Plan
    · Total Body Makeover
    · Glycemic Impact Plan
    · Food Pyramid Made Easy
    · Eating for Life Plan
    · Vegetarian Plan
    · Living with Diabetes Plan

    7. Meditate. The transformative effects of meditation are well documented.
    Again, you may need to research whether Vipassana, T.M., or another form of
    meditation is the right one for you.

    8. Read. Biographies of inspirational people may help best, advises Trick.

    9. Drink herbal tea. People often crave stimulants when they’re bored.
    Sure, caffeine and sugar give you a little lift, but there are better
    choices, according to Trick. “Cinnamon tea, particularly, has a very good
    effect on blood sugar,” she says. “You can make a big thermos of it and
    drink it all day.” She also suggests licorice tea for adrenal support – but
    not the candy!

    10. Balance your body. Speaking of blood sugar, keeping it steady
    throughout the day by eating smaller, more frequent meals may prevent the
    onset of boredom before it begins.

    11. Repeat an affirmation. Or an inspiring quote. “Write it out and stick
    it right there on the fridge,” says Trick.

    12. Call a friend. Pick up the phone instead of a bag of nasty chips to
    encourage you out of your funk.

    13. Prepare healthy food. For that matter, get excited about food again,
    Trick says, because maybe it’s food that’s the root of your boredom. “About
    75 percent of our calories come from the same old 10 foods. Challenge
    yourself when you shop for groceries to pick six foods you haven’t tried
    before, or that you have to learn how to cook,” she suggests.

    14. Do housework. OK, it’s near the bottom of the list because really, not
    many of us enjoy it. Still, there is the satisfaction of having a clean
    home, and alternative fulfillments are what you’re seeking.

    15. Develop a list. In preparation for the next time boredom strikes, write
    a list of these and/or your own ideas of things to do. “Print it twice and
    put one list on your cupboard and one on the refrigerator,” recommends
    registered dietician Rick Hall. “If you don’t have the list, you probably
    won’t think of something later when you’re bored!”

    Tags:

  2. Grant

    Grant Guest

    All are good, healthful alternatives to eating. Kinda like stopping
    smoking - give yourself a substitute to obsess about. For me, I like to
    drink ice water and chew the ice cubes. Very healthful.

    "Captain BlubberSlap Lives" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
> [...]
    > "About
    > 75 percent of our calories come from the same old 10 foods. Challenge
    > yourself when you shop for groceries to pick six foods you haven't tried
    > before, or that you have to learn how to cook," she suggests.
    >
    > 14. Do housework. OK, it's near the bottom of the list because really, not
    > many of us enjoy it. Still, there is the satisfaction of having a clean
    > home, and alternative fulfillments are what you're seeking.
    >
    > 15. Develop a list. In preparation for the next time boredom strikes,
    > write
    > a list of these and/or your own ideas of things to do. "Print it twice and
    > put one list on your cupboard and one on the refrigerator," recommends
    > registered dietician Rick Hall. "If you don't have the list, you probably
    > won't think of something later when you're bored!"

  3. Bwahahahahah - We got Captain Blubberslap kicked out of Google
    Usernet!!!!

    We filled their in-box with complaints and forwarded his IP address to
    Google.

    'The Captain' ain't postin' no more!

    Who's the next troll in line ..... Bwahahhahhahahahahaa!!!!!

  4. Bwahahahahah - We got Captain Blubberslap kicked out of Google
    Usernet!!!!

    We filled their in-box with complaints and forwarded his IP address to
    Google.

    'The Captain' ain't postin' no more!

    Who's the next troll in line ..... Bwahahhahhahahahahaa!!!!!

  5. good angrie!! This mean asshole deserves to be out of here!!! He is a
    mean cold hearted nasty person who will put misfortunate people down to
    make himself feel better!!! Cruel!

  6. good angrie!! This mean asshole deserves to be out of here!!! He is a
    mean cold hearted nasty person who will put misfortunate people down to
    make himself feel better!!! Cruel!

  7. good angrie!! This mean asshole deserves to be out of here!!! He is a
    mean cold hearted nasty person who will put misfortunate people down to
    make himself feel better!!! Cruel!

  8. good angrie!! This mean asshole deserves to be out of here!!! He is a

  9. [email protected] wrote:
    > good angrie!! This mean asshole deserves to be out of here!!! He is a
    > mean cold hearted nasty person who will put misfortunate people down to
    > make himself feel better!!! Cruel!

    Whoosh times two......
    I've been in lurkerdom in ASDLC lately and have just shaking my head.
    If there's a "Clue Fund for Catskills" I'd be happy to contribute to
    it. You've demonstrated need.

    Carmen

  10. [email protected] wrote:
    > good angrie!! This mean asshole deserves to be out of here!!! He is a
    > mean cold hearted nasty person who will put misfortunate people down to
    > make himself feel better!!! Cruel!

    Whoosh times two......
    I've been in lurkerdom in ASDLC lately and have just shaking my head.
    If there's a "Clue Fund for Catskills" I'd be happy to contribute to
    it. You've demonstrated need.

    Carmen

  11. whats a clue fund??? Don't rag on me this guy is not new, he has
    changed his name so many times he does nothing but hurt people. Stop
    fat bashing people who are less fortunate than you, that not the right
    thing to do. This guy really my hurt the 400 lb man reading this and
    trying to lose weight, or think of someone close to you who is
    overweight, they dont need to read shit like this, this does not and
    never has motivated anyone!

  12. [email protected] wrote:
    > whats a clue fund??? Don't rag on me this guy is not new, he has
    > changed his name so many times he does nothing but hurt people. Stop
    > fat bashing people who are less fortunate than you, that not the right
    > thing to do. This guy really my hurt the 400 lb man reading this and
    > trying to lose weight, or think of someone close to you who is
    > overweight, they dont need to read shit like this, this does not and
    > never has motivated anyone!

    Yipee. You got some kid in a wheelchair kickedout of usenet. Rah Rah!

  13. Gail_the couch_Grimes wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > whats a clue fund??? Don't rag on me this guy is not new, he has
    > > changed his name so many times he does nothing but hurt people. Stop
    > > fat bashing people who are less fortunate than you, that not the right
    > > thing to do. This guy really my hurt the 400 lb man reading this and
    > > trying to lose weight, or think of someone close to you who is
    > > overweight, they dont need to read shit like this, this does not and
    > > never has motivated anyone!

    > Yipee. You got some kid in a wheelchair kickedout of usenet. Rah Rah!

    I'd kick in a few bucks for the aforementioned clue fund.... the
    intended beneficiary has certainly demonstrated ample need.... :)