15 Choices Instead of Eating

Captain BlubberSlap Lives

Guest
Bored? 15 Choices Instead of Eating
by Susan Woodward for MSN Health & Fitness
Freelance

Boredom. According to Webster’s, it’s hardly a complicated state of
affairs. Boredom is just “the condition of being bored or uninterested.”

But dealing with boredom is not always so simple. It is, after all, an
emotion. And just like the way we handle other difficult emotions, the
remedy many of us turn to is food.

“When you’re bored, you set out to do something more productive, like
eating,” explains George Rapitis, a high-school nutritionist in Michigan.
“You’re trying to heal that emotion. But it’s only a temporary fix and it
becomes a habit. You start reaching for food every time you’re bored.”

Of course, that action can lead to weight gain and other health problems.
So here we offer some suggestions and alternatives to try next time you
encounter the doldrums.

1. Stop making excuses. Once you know you engage in unhealthy eating habits
to combat boredom, it’s time to look for other types of contentment.

2. Walk the dog. Don’t have a dog? See point 1. Anything physical
(preferably in the fresh outdoors) works.

3. Listen to music. “Something like Beethoven,” encourages Rapitis. “It’s
satisfying music with lots of notes and it’s very relaxing.”

4. Be creative. Paint, draw, shape clay, sew some beautiful beads…Art and
crafts are very enjoyable, and unbeatable emotional outlets, too.

5. Take a bubble bath. “When people are bored they stagnate, there’s really
not a lot of joy in what they do,” says Julia Trick, N.D., nutrition
director at The Green House spa in Texas. OK, it’s the second part of her
comment that explains why you might take a bath! A bubble bath is fun, not
to mention restorative and indulgent. Men, this one’s for you, too!

6. Practice deep breathing. You may need expert guidance on how to perfect
the technique, but focused breathing could help dissipate your sense of
boredom. Best-selling author Dr. Andrew Weil is a big proponent of the
power of breath work.

Choose the diet that's right for you!
· eDiets Weight Loss Plan
· Atkins® Plan
· Total Body Makeover
· Glycemic Impact Plan
· Food Pyramid Made Easy
· Eating for Life Plan
· Vegetarian Plan
· Living with Diabetes Plan

7. Meditate. The transformative effects of meditation are well documented.
Again, you may need to research whether Vipassana, T.M., or another form of
meditation is the right one for you.

8. Read. Biographies of inspirational people may help best, advises Trick.

9. Drink herbal tea. People often crave stimulants when they’re bored.
Sure, caffeine and sugar give you a little lift, but there are better
choices, according to Trick. “Cinnamon tea, particularly, has a very good
effect on blood sugar,” she says. “You can make a big thermos of it and
drink it all day.” She also suggests licorice tea for adrenal support – but
not the candy!

10. Balance your body. Speaking of blood sugar, keeping it steady
throughout the day by eating smaller, more frequent meals may prevent the
onset of boredom before it begins.

11. Repeat an affirmation. Or an inspiring quote. “Write it out and stick
it right there on the fridge,” says Trick.

12. Call a friend. Pick up the phone instead of a bag of nasty chips to
encourage you out of your funk.

13. Prepare healthy food. For that matter, get excited about food again,
Trick says, because maybe it’s food that’s the root of your boredom. “About
75 percent of our calories come from the same old 10 foods. Challenge
yourself when you shop for groceries to pick six foods you haven’t tried
before, or that you have to learn how to cook,” she suggests.

14. Do housework. OK, it’s near the bottom of the list because really, not
many of us enjoy it. Still, there is the satisfaction of having a clean
home, and alternative fulfillments are what you’re seeking.

15. Develop a list. In preparation for the next time boredom strikes, write
a list of these and/or your own ideas of things to do. “Print it twice and
put one list on your cupboard and one on the refrigerator,” recommends
registered dietician Rick Hall. “If you don’t have the list, you probably
won’t think of something later when you’re bored!”

All are good, healthful alternatives to eating. Kinda like stopping
smoking - give yourself a substitute to obsess about. For me, I like to
drink ice water and chew the ice cubes. Very healthful.

"Captain BlubberSlap Lives" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> "About
> 75 percent of our calories come from the same old 10 foods. Challenge
> yourself when you shop for groceries to pick six foods you haven't tried
> before, or that you have to learn how to cook," she suggests.
>
> 14. Do housework. OK, it's near the bottom of the list because really, not
> many of us enjoy it. Still, there is the satisfaction of having a clean
> home, and alternative fulfillments are what you're seeking.
>
> 15. Develop a list. In preparation for the next time boredom strikes,
> write
> a list of these and/or your own ideas of things to do. "Print it twice and
> put one list on your cupboard and one on the refrigerator," recommends
> registered dietician Rick Hall. "If you don't have the list, you probably
> won't think of something later when you're bored!"

Bwahahahahah - We got Captain Blubberslap kicked out of Google
Usernet!!!!

We filled their in-box with complaints and forwarded his IP address to
Google.

'The Captain' ain't postin' no more!

Who's the next troll in line ..... Bwahahhahhahahahahaa!!!!!

Bwahahahahah - We got Captain Blubberslap kicked out of Google
Usernet!!!!

We filled their in-box with complaints and forwarded his IP address to
Google.

'The Captain' ain't postin' no more!

Who's the next troll in line ..... Bwahahhahhahahahahaa!!!!!

good angrie!! This mean asshole deserves to be out of here!!! He is a
mean cold hearted nasty person who will put misfortunate people down to
make himself feel better!!! Cruel!

[email protected] wrote:
> good angrie!! This mean asshole deserves to be out of here!!! He is a
> mean cold hearted nasty person who will put misfortunate people down to
> make himself feel better!!! Cruel!

Whoosh times two......
I've been in lurkerdom in ASDLC lately and have just shaking my head.
If there's a "Clue Fund for Catskills" I'd be happy to contribute to
it. You've demonstrated need.

Carmen

[email protected] wrote:
> good angrie!! This mean asshole deserves to be out of here!!! He is a
> mean cold hearted nasty person who will put misfortunate people down to
> make himself feel better!!! Cruel!

Whoosh times two......
I've been in lurkerdom in ASDLC lately and have just shaking my head.
If there's a "Clue Fund for Catskills" I'd be happy to contribute to
it. You've demonstrated need.

Carmen

whats a clue fund??? Don't rag on me this guy is not new, he has
changed his name so many times he does nothing but hurt people. Stop
fat bashing people who are less fortunate than you, that not the right
thing to do. This guy really my hurt the 400 lb man reading this and
trying to lose weight, or think of someone close to you who is
overweight, they dont need to read **** like this, this does not and
never has motivated anyone!

[email protected] wrote:
> whats a clue fund??? Don't rag on me this guy is not new, he has
> changed his name so many times he does nothing but hurt people. Stop
> fat bashing people who are less fortunate than you, that not the right
> thing to do. This guy really my hurt the 400 lb man reading this and
> trying to lose weight, or think of someone close to you who is
> overweight, they dont need to read **** like this, this does not and
> never has motivated anyone!

Yipee. You got some kid in a wheelchair kickedout of usenet. Rah Rah!

Gail_the couch_Grimes wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > whats a clue fund??? Don't rag on me this guy is not new, he has
> > changed his name so many times he does nothing but hurt people. Stop
> > fat bashing people who are less fortunate than you, that not the right
> > thing to do. This guy really my hurt the 400 lb man reading this and
> > trying to lose weight, or think of someone close to you who is
> > overweight, they dont need to read **** like this, this does not and
> > never has motivated anyone!

> Yipee. You got some kid in a wheelchair kickedout of usenet. Rah Rah!

I'd kick in a few bucks for the aforementioned clue fund.... the
intended beneficiary has certainly demonstrated ample need.... :)