170mm vs 175mm crank arms?

Peter Cole wrote:

> Chalo wrote:
> >
> > I have bikes with 165, 170, 175, 180, 185, 190, 196, and 205mm cranks.
> > I can't feel a difference between the 165s and 170s, or between the
> > 185s and 190s, etc.

> > Now swiitching between my two most frequent choices of commuting bikes,
> > one of which has 185mm cranks and the other of which has 205mm cranks,
> > presents a noticeable change in feel at the pedals.

> Do you have strong preferences for crank length? If so, what do you find
> to be the big differences?

I like the feel of the longer cranks better, and I get the sense that I
can ride them for longer periods with less fatigue. The shorter ones
feel more "businesslike" due to the higher cadence they promote, but I
can't discern whether I ride any faster with them. Crank length would
probably not be enough of a factor to make me dislike a bike overall,
unless they were too long for the BB height and posed pedal clearance
problems.

I definitely put all my fastest miles-- by far-- on my 196mm Bullseye
cranks, but that was at least partly a matter of circumstance (that is,
they were on the bike I rode the most when I was fastest).

Chalo

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:13:19 -0500, Paul Hobson <[email protected]>
wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 02:50:39 -0500, Paul Hobson <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>>I just switched to shorter cranks (down to 165 from 175) and can't
>>>really tell a difference.
>>>
>>>You happy?

>> I will be when you switch back to 175s on your next bike.
>>

>I still ride both bikes regularly.

Cool.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:16:50 -0500, Paul Hobson <[email protected]> wrote:

>531Aussie wrote:
>> Paul Hobson Wrote:
>>
>>>I just switched to shorter cranks (down to 165 from 175) and can't
>>>really tell a difference.
>>>
>>>You happy?
>>>

>> no difference???? Really???
>>

>Not that I can tell. I mean, 1 cm compared to the length of my 5'10"
>(177.8 cm) body just ain't a whole lot. I have noticed better pedal
>clearance around turns, but I think that's all mental. I just get out
>and ride. As long as things don't hurt (they don't) and I get to where
>I'm going fast enough (still do) I'm happy.
>\\paul

I've got 170s and 175s on different bikes, I tend, and that's tend, to pedal a
slightly higher cadence in usually, that's usually, a slightly lower gear with
the 170s. Pretty much what one would expect.

Ron

RonSonic wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:16:50 -0500, Paul Hobson <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>531Aussie wrote:

>>>no difference???? Really???
>>>

>>Not that I can tell. I mean, 1 cm compared to the length of my 5'10"
>>(177.8 cm) body just ain't a whole lot. I have noticed better pedal
>>clearance around turns, but I think that's all mental. I just get out
>>and ride. As long as things don't hurt (they don't) and I get to where
>>I'm going fast enough (still do) I'm happy.
>>\\paul

> I've got 170s and 175s on different bikes, I tend, and that's tend, to pedal a
> slightly higher cadence in usually, that's usually, a slightly lower gear with
> the 170s. Pretty much what one would expect.

Went back and looked at the entire fleet. The bikes I mentioned are
both fixies with about the same ratio. The old (now beater) bike has
170 mm cranks, not 175 mm. The new bike has the 165 mm cranks. I can't
tell much a difference between those bikes. The 175 mm cranks are on
the road bike. I'd be an apples/oranges situation to compare those. I
mean, of course my cadence will be high on the road bike regardless of
the crank length. Who knows...
\\paul

pedal speed is what??

the extra 5mm gives extra leverage, if the frame allows for a sweet
spot to insert the 175
but lets speak of the 5mm in one specific gear combo
and refer to the effect on top and bottom combo-
does the extra 5mm reduce your frame/muscular effectiveness at the
bottom combo?
does the extra 5mm produce greater power-say climbing ability/speed-in
the top combo?
or is there a reduction on both with the extra 5mm
the idea i proposed was there's a frame factor to be dealt with-if too
tall or too short for the frame then the seat doesn't fall into a
middle position and then does not allow for adjusting the sweet spot to
the extra 5mm

what you say is true but maybe at a lower level of performance than
what the extra 5mm category falls to-
the faster spin develops into the same speed with less effort not less
effort with lower speeds

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> pedal speed is what??
>
> the extra 5mm gives extra leverage, if the frame allows for a sweet
> spot to insert the 175
> but lets speak of the 5mm in one specific gear combo
> and refer to the effect on top and bottom combo-
> does the extra 5mm reduce your frame/muscular effectiveness at the
> bottom combo?
> does the extra 5mm produce greater power-say climbing ability/speed-in
> the top combo?
> or is there a reduction on both with the extra 5mm
> the idea i proposed was there's a frame factor to be dealt with-if too
> tall or too short for the frame then the seat doesn't fall into a
> middle position and then does not allow for adjusting the sweet spot to
> the extra 5mm
>
> what you say is true but maybe at a lower level of performance than
> what the extra 5mm category falls to-
> the faster spin develops into the same speed with less effort not less
> effort with lower speeds

The biomechanics of bicycling are complicated and
incompletely understood. All agree that whatever
combination we use, we use all our power, and over the
short haul the components do not make much difference in
performance. Over the long haul, we will fatigue less with
a good fit. The best that any of us can do is read it all,
and keep tinkering.

--
Michael Press

or to go in another direction - the extra 5mm may bring your
musculature into a lactate intolerant mode - this can be eliminated
with practice - see the alworth-carmichael-nye training manual
or as the posts below suggest, the extra leverage may be too extra for
the knee's articulations, but the spin just right
not only as stretch and impact but the element if you're older or
insufficient of squeezing the lube out of bursal spaces thus
increasing wear there also.
gotta try it right?
youbet! off to the 56 tooth ring

Post Cartesian Climate-bicycle commuting from the 17th century to the
21st
The scenarios that are laid out above present some of the difficulties
in presuming the ease in developing new articulations of space and
illustrate the absolute complexity that our language and processes of
engaging with the world leave us with. It suggests that we are lost,
but persistent in continuing forward in search of a modern clarity,
with tools and systems that are becoming extremely old. Dimensions
remain a useful and efficient method to articulate the scale and
relations with spaces but is wholly riddled with a mindset that does
not connect with our everyday experience of the world. However such
methods are still employed by architects and planners on
extraordinarily different scales to transform our street level
experience. Linearity is more of a part of our temporal environment
more than ever, as economics forms the structure for surviving and
apparently the means to move forward.
Consequently this can only be described as a Post Cartesian climate,
the opportunities for the multiple dimensional, non-gravitational,
light speed properties of the internet have yet to escape the
colonisation and conversion of cyberspace into the slow broadcast
medium where inert web sites store information ready for retrieval.
Perhaps as the new wave of software that acknowledges the network as a
non-hierarchical framework for organising our experiences, will enable
us to interface our 'maps' of the world to re-invent the present
and prevent us from getting lost.
behind the downs processional.: a search beyond google
beyond http://www.wordreference.com/definition/FROG or bicycle or

insightful (ah ****) sorni's comment on ???