Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

172.5 triple road cranks vs. Q-factor

Started by Jeff S. · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,175 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 March 2004
Last activity
15 March 2004
Original author
Jeff S.
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,175
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Help please.

    I'm looking for a set of 172.5 triple road cranks to run
    with my Campy Daytona 10-speed drivetrain. The '03 Record
    or '04 Chorus cranks are way too much quality (and $$$) for
    my generic ride (Surly CROSS x CHECK). I know of FSA, but
    they reportedly have very big Q-factors (distance between
    outer face of crankarms). There are also several TA models
    (thanks Peter).

    Any more options with a narrow Q?

    Better question - who has or where can I get a list of Q-
    factors for 172.5 10-speed triple cranks?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Jeff S.
    Help please.

    I'm looking for a set of 172.5 triple road cranks to run
    with my Campy Daytona 10-speed drivetrain. The '03 Record
    or '04 Chorus cranks are way too much quality (and $$$) for
    my generic ride (Surly CROSS x CHECK). I know of FSA, but
    they reportedly have very big Q-factors (distance between
    outer face of crankarms). There are also several TA models
    (thanks Peter).

    Any more options with a narrow Q?

    Better question - who has or where can I get a list of Q-
    factors for 172.5 10-speed triple cranks?

    Thanks in advance.

    What Q-factor are you aiming for?
    What chain line are you aiming for?
    What clearance will you have for your smallest chain ring?
    Zephyr arms, TA Axix 122mm bottom bracket - 153.5mm
    Zephyr arms, TA Axix 125mm bottom bracket - 156.5mm

    Zephyr arms, Phil Wood 123mm bottom bracket - 154.5mm
    Zephyr arms, Phil Wood 125mm bottom bracket - 156.5mm

    Zephyr arms, Shimano UN-72 122.5mm bottom bracket - 156.5mm
    Zephyr arms, Shimano UN-72 127.5mm bottom bracket - 161.5mm

    Zephyr arms, Race Face 120mm bottom bracket - 156mm

    Zephyr arms, FSA 123mm bottom bracket - 158mm

    Different BB axles have different tapers. Therefore the same arms will mount differently on different BB Axles of the * Same Length*

    Sheldon Brown has a pretty complete table of Q-factors at:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
    I think that the Sugino AT Triple with 150 mm Q was the lowest I could find the last time I looked.

  3. Jeff S. said:

    I'm looking for a set of 172.5 triple road cranks to run
    with my Campy Daytona 10-speed drivetrain. The '03 Record
    or '04 Chorus cranks are way too much quality (and $$$)
    for my generic ride (Surly CROSS x CHECK). I know of FSA,
    but they reportedly have very big Q-factors (distance
    between outer face of crankarms). There are also several
    TA models (thanks Peter).

    Any more options with a narrow Q?

    Veloce.

    ~PB

  4. 43.5 chainline

    As narrow a Q-factor as possible, I just can't find the data
    on the Campy triple cranks for comparison purposes.

    I'm thinking 50/40/28 or 26 with a 12x25 or 26 (thanks
    Veloce) 10-speed cogset.

    "daveornee" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jeff S. said:

    Help please. I'm looking for a set of 172.5 triple
    road cranks to run with my Campy Daytona 10-speed
    drivetrain. The '03 Record or '04 Chorus cranks are


    way

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    too much quality (and $$$) for my generic ride (Surly
    CROSS x CHECK).


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    know of FSA, but they reportedly have very big Q-
    factors (distance between outer face of crankarms).
    There are also several TA models (thanks Peter). Any
    more options with a narrow Q? Better question - who
    has or where can I get a list of Q- factors for
    172.5 10-speed triple cranks? Thanks in advance.

    What Q-factor are you aiming for? What chain line are you
    aiming for? What clearance will you have for your smallest
    chain ring?

    Zephyr arms,

    Quoted message said:

    TA Axix 122mm bottom bracket - 153.5mm Zephyr arms, TA
    Axix 125mm bottom bracket - 156.5mm

    Zephyr arms, Phil Wood 123mm bottom bracket - 154.5mm
    Zephyr arms, Phil Wood 125mm bottom bracket - 156.5mm

    Zephyr arms, Shimano UN-72 122.5mm bottom bracket -
    156.5mm Zephyr arms, Shimano UN-72 127.5mm bottom bracket
    - 161.5mm

    Zephyr arms, Race Face 120mm bottom bracket - 156mm

    Zephyr arms, FSA 123mm bottom bracket - 158mm

    Different BB axles have different tapers. Therefore the
    same arms will mount differently on different BB Axles of
    the * Same Length*

    Sheldon Brown has a pretty complete table of Q-factors at:
    sheldonbrown.combbsize.html I think that the
    Sugino AT Triple with 150 mm Q was the lowest I could find
    the last time I looked.

    --

  5. My information sources (including Campy's official website)
    don't indicate that a 172.5 triple crank is made other than
    the '03 Record or '04 Chorus. Do tell more re Veloce...

    "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jeff S. said:

    I'm looking for a set of 172.5 triple road cranks to run
    with my Campy Daytona 10-speed drivetrain. The '03
    Record or '04 Chorus cranks are way too much quality
    (and $$$) for my generic ride (Surly CROSS x CHECK). I
    know of FSA, but they reportedly have very big Q-factors
    (distance between outer face of crankarms). There are
    also several TA models (thanks Peter).

    Any more options with a narrow Q?

    Veloce.

    ~PB

  6. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Jeff S. said:

    I'm looking for a set of 172.5 triple road cranks to run
    with my Campy Daytona 10-speed drivetrain. The '03
    Record or '04 Chorus cranks are way too much quality
    (and $$$) for my generic ride (Surly CROSS x CHECK). I
    know of FSA, but they reportedly have very big Q-factors
    (distance between outer face of crankarms). There are
    also several TA models (thanks Peter). Any more options
    with a narrow Q?

    Quoted message said:

    "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message -"]news:[email hidden]-
    berlin.de...

    Quoted message said:

    Veloce.

    Jeff S. said:

    My information sources (including Campy's official


    website) don't indicate

    Quoted message said:

    that a 172.5 triple crank is made other than the '03


    Record or '04 Chorus.

    Quoted message said:

    Do tell more re Veloce...

    Right. Mirage/Veloce triples and Centaur triples are
    170-175 only.

    Perhaps he was thinking of the doubles? 172 now in
    Mirage/Veloce and Centaur.

    Centaur $180, Chorus $230 not all that dear if you really
    want the one-spoke-thickness-longer crank.

    Personally I can't tell 2mm under any conditions.

    YMMV, Princess.
    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

  7. Jeff S. said:

    My information sources (including Campy's official
    website) don't indicate that a 172.5 triple crank is made
    other than the '03 Record or '04 Chorus. Do tell more re
    Veloce...

    Sorry Jeff, I was mistaken (looked up double instead of
    triple). Apologies for raising hopes and wasting time.

    ~PB

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.