1978 Raleigh Competition GS Stem Size Question

I'm looking to change the stem to one with a shorter reach, say around
70-80mm. Does anyone know if the TTT Synthesis Quill Stem will fit? If
not any suggestions?

Thanks,
George

[email protected] wrote:

> I'm looking to change the stem to one with a shorter reach, say around
> 70-80mm. Does anyone know if the TTT Synthesis Quill Stem will fit? If
> not any suggestions?

Any normal "1 inch" quill stem will fit. Actual diameter that fits in
the steerer is 7/8" (22.2 mm)

http://harriscyclery.com/stems

Sheldon "No Problem" Brown
| As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, |
| they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, |
| they do not refer to reality. --Albert Einstein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

> I'm looking to change the stem to one with a shorter reach, say around
> 70-80mm. Does anyone know if the TTT Synthesis Quill Stem will fit? If
> not any suggestions?

Maybe.
The bars your bike shipped with were 25.4mm at the stem
clamp. The 3ttt Synthesis is 26.0.

Measure the bars ( are they original?). If they are 25.4,
consider new bars ( see also concurrent threads about cracks
in older aluminum equipment) or Nitto's beautiful little
25.4=>26.0 shim set.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I'm looking to change the stem to one with a shorter reach, say

around
> > 70-80mm. Does anyone know if the TTT Synthesis Quill Stem will fit?

If
> > not any suggestions?

> Maybe.
> The bars your bike shipped with were 25.4mm at the stem
> clamp. The 3ttt Synthesis is 26.0.
>
> Measure the bars ( are they original?). If they are 25.4,
> consider new bars ( see also concurrent threads about cracks
> in older aluminum equipment) or Nitto's beautiful little
> 25.4=>26.0 shim set.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks everyone.

I had already changed to flat bars with the original stem and it fits
fine. I'll measure the diameter of the newer bars if I decide to
replace the stem.

I'm not sure whether I would change the rise or reach, or both. The
bars and seat are at about even height right now. It looks great but
it feels just alittle too far forward, on the trainer at least. I may
wait until I can ride outside, it's 7 degrees with snow here in NY, and
see how it feels. It may be ok at speed and possibly preferable on
long rides.

George

[email protected] writes:

>I'm looking to change the stem to one with a shorter reach, say around
>70-80mm. Does anyone know if the TTT Synthesis Quill Stem will fit? If
>not any suggestions?

TTT Synthesis Quill stem is an excellent choice. This beautiful and
classic stem will compliment your bike. The 1978 Raleigh Pro came
with TTT Record stems, the grandfather of this stem, and the Pro was
the next model up the "racing line" of Raleigh bikes.

Be careful however to make sure that your stem and bars match
together. Some older TTT Record stems were 25.8, as were TTT bars,
and these stems cracked on GB 25.4 bars when installed without shims
in the 1970's.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA