Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

~1985 Campy Crank arm bolt allen size?

Started by Gman · · Last activity · 10 posts · 1,235 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
25 March 2003
Last activity
27 March 2003
Original author
Gman
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,235
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it. They appear to have an allen bolt,
    although it is a different size than is on my modern FS mtn bike.

    I have been told it's likely a 10mm.

    Anyone have old Campy cranks with 10mm bolts?

    I guess I'll run down to the LBS with it...

    G

  2. "Gman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it. They appear to have an allen
    bolt, although it is a different size than is on my modern FS mtn bike.

    I have been told it's likely a 10mm.

    Anyone have old Campy cranks with 10mm bolts?

    I guess I'll run down to the LBS with it...

    G

    I thought Campy had 7mm bolts.

    Anyone know differently?

    Mike

  3. In article gN1ga.14$me.10@fed1read04 said:


    "Gman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it. They appear to have an allen
    bolt, although it is a different size than is on my modern FS mtn bike.

    I have been told it's likely a 10mm.

    Anyone have old Campy cranks with 10mm bolts?

    I guess I'll run down to the LBS with it...

    G

    I thought Campy had 7mm bolts.

    Anyone know differently?

    Could also be a non-Campy allen-head crank bolt or self-extracting gizmo. They were sold in the
    aftermarket during the time that Campy used 15mm hex-head bolts. There were several types & bolt
    formats used in these products. Some even used 6mm allen head, which is just way too small.

    --Paul

  4. Mike S. mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet said:


    "Gman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it. They appear to have an allen
    bolt, although it is a different size than is on my modern FS mtn bike.

    I have been told it's likely a 10mm.

    Anyone have old Campy cranks with 10mm bolts?

    I guess I'll run down to the LBS with it...

    G

    I thought Campy had 7mm bolts.

    Anyone know differently?

    Mike

    I'm pretty sure it's bigger than 7mm. My FS mtn bike crank bolts are definitely bigger than 7mm and
    that wrench is too small for the Campys.

    ...to the LBS w/ it tomorrow.

    G

  5. Mike S. said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it. They appear to have an allen
    bolt, although it is a different size than is on my modern FS mtn bike.

    I have been told it's likely a 10mm.

    Quoted message said:

    I thought Campy had 7mm bolts.

    I was gonna say 7 as well, and that is one size most allen wrench sets do not have. Be careful,
    also, since the auto-extractor rings, the things that look like the dust caps, are left-hand thread.
    They also tend to wear. I had one that was so bad off it would not pull the crank any more.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
    (_)/ (_) |

  6. Gman said:

    I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it. They appear to have an allen bolt,
    although it is a different size than is on my modern FS mtn bike.

    I have been told it's likely a 10mm.

    Anyone have old Campy cranks with 10mm bolts?

    I guess I'll run down to the LBS with it...

    I think they were 8mm in 1995 (and still are).

    Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles habcycles.comhabcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

  7. "Gman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it. They appear to have an allen
    bolt, although it is a different size than is on my modern FS mtn bike.

    I have been told it's likely a 10mm.

    Anyone have old Campy cranks with 10mm bolts?

    The bolt is m8x1. The allen head was 7mm on the older bolts, 8mm now

    --
    Andrew Muzi yellowjersey.orgyellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  8. glaprade-<< I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it.

    7mm and self extractor on Record/CDA/Chorus/Victory-others..

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  9. mikeshaw-<< I thought Campy had 7mm bolts.

    Anyone know differently?

    This era had 7mm self extractores, then went to a 8mm allen about 1994 or so-or a 15mm bolt-

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  10. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    glaprade-<< I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it.

    7mm and self extractor on Record/CDA/Chorus/Victory-others..

    You guys were absolutely correct. 7mm it is! Got a wrench now.

    G

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.