1988 schwinn Prelude classic

duke711

Mar 14, 2012
I am looking to get a bike for commuting in the city. Is this a good bike for that, I would get it for $350 it has
58cm frame 56 top tube tenax columbus tubing
23lbs
i completely stripped this bike down cleaned and greases everything added continental tires, mcs seatpost, richey pedals, kalloy stem, bar tape, levers, chain

Should I get it or is it not worth it?

duke711 said:
I am looking to get a bike for commuting in the city. Is this a good bike for that, I would get it for $350 it has
23lbs
i completely stripped this bike down cleaned and greases everything added continental tires, mcs seatpost, richey pedals, kalloy stem, bar tape, levers, chain
We'd need to see pictures, but that seems like a lot for that bike.

http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee473/urbanhucker/?action=view&current=1p4pb5623587.jpg

Here is a photo, let me know what you think is a fair price

Originally Posted by duke711 .

23lbs

FWIW. The lugged frame Schwinn Prelude was a pretty nice bike ... my recollection ([COLOR= #808080]which may be incorrect[/COLOR]) is that there was only one model between it and the Schwinn Paramount ... if that is correct, then the Prelude was #2 in the regular lineup at the time ...

Whether-or-not you consider that ([COLOR= #ffa500]i.e., being #2 in the Schwinn lineup[/COLOR]) to be good-or-bad may be in the eye-of-the-beholder ...

AND, the following is far from definitive ...

By my reckoning, a good vintage steel frame, alone, is worth a minimum of $100 ... however, some people woudn't pay half that much for ready to ride, vintage bike.

I reckon a vintage Schwinn Prelude frame in good condition is worth $150+ ...

So, using THAT as the minimum starting point, add the value ([COLOR= #ff0000]to YOU![/COLOR]) of the rest of the components.

If YOU are 6'0" to 6'3+" then it might be a very good value at $275-to-$350 ...

• if those are Dura Ace 7400 (?) components, then I would say that it should be worth $350
  • if those aren't Dura Ace components, then figure a value of closer to $275[COLOR= #808080]-or-less[/COLOR]

Regardless, if YOU are shorter than 6'0", then you may want to keep looking.

If Paramount was top-of-the-line, and there was one more between it and the Prelude, then wouldn't the Prelude be #3 and not #2?

Looks like it's farther down the list:

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1981_1990/1988_16.html

Note that the Paramount is not in that table, and that there are no Dura-Ace components listed.

I wouldn't give much more than $200 for it.