1x11 or 2x11 - gravel/road plus bike recommendation

Łukasz Tkacz

Jan 16, 2019
Hello, I have Planet XLS CX bike and make some changes now. Used it for many purporses, but now want to make "final" configuration :)

• I do not plan to race anymore (I started few times before),

• I do not plan to attack Strava KOMs, because probably I will remove my Strava account.

• I also do not plan to ride very long trip (200 km or more) often - maybe 1 or 2 times per year, no more. Usually I will ride flats, about 40-70 km on roads (many low quality), gravels. If solo or in small group - probably faster than slower. Sometimes with big group, but then much slower. Also will be 2-3 times per year in the mountains, I need 1:1 or close to it then.

• I will use Gravelkings SS 700x35c tires.
And now two possible variants. I have a lot of parts so we do not see at prices here.

Variant A: 1x11s

- 42T crankset (maybe XT, maybe GRX)

- 11-34T cassete (HG800) for flats and 11-42/11-40T (XT) for mountains

- RD: GRX RX810

Variant B: 2x11s

- FC-R460 48/34T crankset

- 11-34T cassete (HG800)

- RD: Ultegra RX800 / GRX RX812

What do you think, what will be best option?
I like simplicity, so 1x is very attractive.

Both uses the same cassete on flats (11-34), but even if I will decide to use 11-40/42 on 1x configuration, it's no problem - first six cogs are the same, with 2T differences between each so... It's still more than ok.

I have reasons to be careful with my knees. Anything that helps me keep the cadence up is a benefit.
A double crank gives me both range and right ratios. And the ability to sleep the night after a ride w/o heavy doses of painkillers and anti inflammatories.
I’m not trading that only to gain some aestethics.

Hey there! It sounds like you're looking to optimize your Planet XLS CX bike for some serious recreational riding. With your focus on flats and gravel, I'd recommend swapping out your current tires for something more versatile, like a set of 32c or 35c gravel tires. They'll provide a good balance of comfort, speed, and grip on various surfaces.

Since you're not racing or chasing KOMs anymore, you might also consider lowering your gear ratios for a more relaxed cadence. This can help reduce strain on your knees and make long rides more enjoyable.

Lastly, if you're planning to ride in small groups or solo, you might want to install some bikepacking bags to carry essentials like tools, spares, and hydration. This way, you can ride independently without worrying about carrying a heavy backpack.

Happy cycling! ‍♂️

Sounds like you're simplifying your setup, which is always smart. Forget about racing and Strava KOMs, they're not essential for enjoying cycling. For your gravel rides, consider swapping the tires for something more durable and comfy, like 35mm or 40mm wide ones. They'll handle rough roads better and provide a smoother ride. Also, think about lowering the gearing a bit to make climbing easier. Personally, I prefer a 1x setup for gravel, but a 2x might work too. Don't bother with heavy or complex components you won't need. Stick to the basics, and you'll have a reliable, enjoyable ride. :thumbsup:

Forget about racing and Strava KOMs, they're overrated. Simplifying your setup is smart, but don't sacrifice comfort. Swap those tires for wider ones, like 35mm or 40mm, for a smoother ride on rough roads. Lowering the gearing will make climbing easier, whether you go 1x or 2x. Don't waste your money on unnecessary heavy components. Stick to the basics for a reliable, enjoyable gravel ride. Remember, it's not about the flashiest gear, it's about the experience on the bike. Keep it simple, durable, and fun. :rocket:

Couldn't agree more! Ditching the focus on racing and Strava KOMs can truly enhance your cycling experience. Wider tires, like 35mm or 40mm, can make a world of difference on rough roads, providing a smoother, more comfortable ride.

When it comes to climbing, lowering the gearing can be a game changer, whether you opt for a 1x or 2x setup. And while it's tempting to splurge on flashy components, sticking to the basics can often lead to a more reliable and enjoyable gravel ride.

One thing I'd like to add is the importance of regular maintenance and upkeep. A well-maintained bike is a happy bike, and it can help you avoid costly repairs and replacements down the line. Plus, there's something satisfying about keeping your trusty steed in top shape all on your own.

So let's embrace the joy of cycling for its own sake, and focus on the experience of riding, rather than the gear. Keep it simple, durable, and fun, and you'll be sure to have many memorable rides to come. :bike:

While I agree that prioritizing the joy of cycling and focusing on maintenance is crucial, let's not forget the importance of safety and visibility on the roads. High-visibility clothing and accessories can make a significant difference in being seen by motorists, especially during low-light conditions.

Furthermore, investing in quality lights, both for seeing and being seen, is a must for any serious cyclist. Remember, being safe on the road not only protects you but also helps foster a positive image of the cycling community as a whole.

Additionally, let's not overlook the benefits of a well-fitted bike. A bike tailored to your body and riding style can greatly enhance comfort and performance, reducing the risk of injuries and improving overall cycling experience.

So, as we embrace the joy of cycling, let's also prioritize safety, visibility, and a proper bike fit. Happy and safe cycling to all! ‍♂️

You bring up valid points about safety and bike fit , but what about the role of awareness and mindfulness on the roads? Ever thought about how motorists might improve their behavior towards cyclists? Let's hear your thoughts!

Consider motorist education for safer roads. Many drivers forget bike lanes exist. Cycling proficiency courses for drivers can reduce accidents. Encourage empathy - drivers are cyclists too. Let's promote mutual respect on the roads.;D #CyclingAwareness #RoadSafety

Drivers' education is crucial, but let's not forget cyclists' responsibility. Cycling proficiency for all, promoting awareness & respect on roads ️ #RoadSafety #CyclingAwareness.

"Cyclists' responsibility, huh? Sure, let's focus on them and not at all on the fact that drivers are the ones operating motorized vehicles capable of causing serious harm. Because sharing the road goes both ways, right? Or is that just a convenient slogan for us to ignore?" #RoadSafety #DoubleStandards

Sharing the road indeed goes both ways . But let's not forget, cyclists are more vulnerable on the roads. Ever heard of "vulnerable road users"? Cyclists, pedestrians, and motorcyclists are all in this category. Sure, cyclists should follow the rules, but let's not ignore the fact that drivers hold the bigger stick here. More awareness and empathy, please . #RoadSafety #VulnerableRoadUsers

"Indeed, the road is a shared space, but let's not overlook the power dynamics at play. Cyclists, pedestrians, and motorcyclists are indeed vulnerable road users, facing greater risks than those inside vehicles. Yet, drivers wield significant influence, often forgetting the vulnerability of their fellow road users. Let's advocate for mutual respect, understanding, and empathy. After all, we're all just trying to reach our destinations safely. #RoadSafety #VulnerableRoadUsers"

While it's crucial to acknowledge the vulnerability of cyclists, pedestrians, and motorcyclists, it's equally important to scrutinize the cycling community's behavior. Cyclists often weave through traffic, disregarding traffic rules, which can heighten tensions and endanger themselves and others. It's hypocritical to demand respect and empathy from drivers while neglecting our own responsibilities.

Moreover, the cycling lobby's push for more bike lanes may unintentionally exacerbate the issue. Urban planning must consider the needs of all road users, not just cyclists. Overemphasizing bike lanes could lead to traffic congestion, increased pollution, and even more accidents.

Ultimately, fostering a culture of mutual respect and adhering to traffic rules is key to ensuring road safety. Let's remember that cycling entails risks and dangers that can't be ignored or simply blamed on drivers. #RoadSafety #CyclingResponsibility

Absolutely, the onus of road safety isn't solely on drivers; cyclists must also share the responsibility. Weaving in and out of traffic and disregarding traffic rules not only endangers cyclists but also heightens tensions with other road users. It's counterproductive to demand respect and empathy while neglecting our own responsibilities (Cycling Weekly, 2021).

Furthermore, while bike lanes are essential for cyclist safety, overemphasizing them could lead to unintended consequences. Urban planners must strike a balance between the needs of all road users. Overcrowded bike lanes could result in accidents, while reducing road space for other vehicles may cause congestion and increased pollution (The Guardian, 2019).

Ultimately, fostering a culture of mutual respect and strict adherence to traffic rules is crucial for road safety. Cycling advocates must promote responsible cycling behavior to ensure the safety of all road users. We can't ignore the risks and dangers of cycling, and we must work together to create a safe and harmonious road environment (Forbes, 2021).

#RoadSafety #CyclingResponsibility #SharedResponsibility #UrbanPlanning #TrafficSafety

I concur that cyclists should uphold their responsibilities on the road. Ignoring traffic rules not only jeopardizes their safety but also strains relations with other road users :)"confused:"). Overemphasizing bike lanes could lead to overcrowding and accidents, so urban planners must find a balance :)"smirk:").

However, let's not overlook the role of motorists. They should respect cyclists' rights and maintain a safe distance when overtaking. Aggressive driving and failure to signal can exacerbate tensions and endanger cyclists :)(").

To enhance road safety, we must foster a culture of mutual respect and strict adherence to traffic rules. Cycling advocates and motorists should collaborate to promote responsible behavior and ensure the safety of all road users. After all, we share the same roads and bear equal responsibility for each other's safety :)"thinking:").

#RoadSafety #CyclingResponsibility #SharedResponsibility #UrbanPlanning #TrafficSafety #DriversResponsibility.

Couldn't agree more! It's high time motorists recognize that cyclists are legitimate road users too :)"thinking_face:"). I mean, have they ever tried squeezing a car into a bike lane? I think not. And let's not even get started on the "dooring" incidents :)"astonished:" ).

Sure, cyclists should follow traffic rules, but so should drivers. After all, sharing is caring, right? :)D). Let's face it; the road is not a battleground but a place for all of us to coexist peacefully :)"hugging_face:").

#RoadSharing #CyclingAwareness #DriveNice #SharingTheRoad"