2003 Campy R.Der Compaitbility

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by takman, Oct 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. takman

takman New Member

Hey! I am ready to pick up a 2003 rear derailler for a song and want to use it with my 98 record ergo levers and drivetrain. Will a 9sp chain fit? Will I need to swap out the pulleys? I am pretty sure that there will be no problems with shifting.

Are there anyone out there who has done something similar?

Jason

Tags:

2. takman

takman New Member

Oops! Meant to say a Record 2003 rear derailler!

3. Bruni

Bruni Guest

This combination shifts Shimano 9s spacing (narrower). If you want Camp. spacing, price an index
    wheel for your ergo's in the "deal" Tom

--
    Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
    410.426.3420 takman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey! I am ready to pick up a 2003 rear derailler for a song and want to use it with my 98 record
    > ergo levers and drivetrain. Will a 9sp chain fit? Will I need to swap out the pulleys? I am pretty
    > sure that there will be no problems with shifting.
    >
    > Are there anyone out there who has done something similar?
    >
    > Jason
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > >--------------------------<
    > Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

4. Bruni

Bruni Guest

My bad. The reverse of my previous post is true. You will have to get the index wheel. Tom

--
    Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
    410.426.3420 takman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey! I am ready to pick up a 2003 rear derailler for a song and want to use it with my 98 record
    > ergo levers and drivetrain. Will a 9sp chain fit? Will I need to swap out the pulleys? I am pretty
    >
    > Are there anyone out there who has done something similar?
    >
    > Jason
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > >--------------------------<
    > Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

5. Nick Payne

Nick Payne Guest

You'll need to replace the ratchet in your Ergo levers to get good shifting, as Campagnolo changed
    their derailleur parallelogram a couple of years back. I had to do this when my 1998 derailleur
    cracked across the mounting bolt housing and the replacement 2001 derailleur Campagnolo gave me
    shifted poorly until I also changed the ratchet in the levers.

Nick

"takman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

6. takman-<< I am ready to pick up a 2003 rear derailler for a song and want to use it with my 98
    record ergo levers and drivetrain. Will a 9sp chain fit? Will I need to swap out the pulleys? I am
    pretty sure that there will be no problems with shifting. >><BR><BR>

It will work fine w/o changes anywhere or any modification..We use 2003/4 rear ders as replacement
    ders for all Campagnolo shifters...from 1988 indexing to modern ERGO...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

7. bruni-<< This combination shifts Shimano 9s spacing (narrower). If you want Camp. spacing, price an
    index wheel for your ergo's in the "deal" >><BR><BR>

Not true, 1998 ERGO wilh a 2003 rear der will shift Campagnolo 9s spacing w/o problem...

(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

8. Nick-<< You'll need to replace the ratchet in your Ergo levers to get good shifting, as Campagnolo
    changed their derailleur parallelogram a couple of years back. I had to do this when my 1998
    derailleur cracked across the mounting bolt housing and the replacement 2001 derailleur Campagnolo
    gave me shifted poorly until I also changed the ratchet in the levers.

In my experinece, as we put new, 2003 rear ders on even 1993-4 8s ergo...they work fine w/o
    modificatiuon..regardless of Campagnolo or some web sighters may say.

9. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

Nick Payne wrote:
    > You'll need to replace the ratchet in your Ergo levers to get good shifting, as Campagnolo changed
    > their derailleur parallelogram a couple of years back. I had to do this when my 1998 derailleur
    > cracked across the mounting bolt housing and the replacement 2001 derailleur Campagnolo gave me
    > shifted poorly until I also changed the ratchet in the levers.

The ratchet costs something and it's not an easy job to get those springs back. It'd be far better
    to either get a correct derailleur or make do with a "wrong" one. People with more experience than
    me say old with new and vice versa "work fine" - although I must admit that I didn't have much luck
    either when I tried using an old mech with new Ergos.

~PB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.