2003 Campy R.Der Compaitbility

takman

New Member
Aug 18, 2003
Hey! I am ready to pick up a 2003 rear derailler for a song and want to use it with my 98 record ergo levers and drivetrain. Will a 9sp chain fit? Will I need to swap out the pulleys? I am pretty sure that there will be no problems with shifting.

Are there anyone out there who has done something similar?

Jason

Originally posted by takman
Hey! I am ready to pick up a 2003 rear derailler for a song and want to use it with my 98 record ergo levers and drivetrain. Will a 9sp chain fit? Will I need to swap out the pulleys? I am pretty sure that there will be no problems with shifting.

Are there anyone out there who has done something similar?

Jason

Oops! Meant to say a Record 2003 rear derailler!

This combination shifts Shimano 9s spacing (narrower). If you want Camp. spacing, price an index
wheel for your ergo's in the "deal" Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
410.426.3420 takman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey! I am ready to pick up a 2003 rear derailler for a song and want to use it with my 98 record
> ergo levers and drivetrain. Will a 9sp chain fit? Will I need to swap out the pulleys? I am pretty
> sure that there will be no problems with shifting.
>
> Are there anyone out there who has done something similar?
>
> Jason

My bad. The reverse of my previous post is true. You will have to get the index wheel. Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
410.426.3420 takman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey! I am ready to pick up a 2003 rear derailler for a song and want to use it with my 98 record
> ergo levers and drivetrain. Will a 9sp chain fit? Will I need to swap out the pulleys? I am pretty
> sure that there will be no problems with shifting.
>
> Are there anyone out there who has done something similar?
>
> Jason

You'll need to replace the ratchet in your Ergo levers to get good shifting, as Campagnolo changed
their derailleur parallelogram a couple of years back. I had to do this when my 1998 derailleur
cracked across the mounting bolt housing and the replacement 2001 derailleur Campagnolo gave me
shifted poorly until I also changed the ratchet in the levers.

Nick

"takman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hey! I am ready to pick up a 2003 rear derailler for a song and want to use it with my 98 record
> ergo levers and drivetrain. Will a 9sp chain fit? Will I need to swap out the pulleys? I am pretty
> sure that there will be no problems with shifting.

takman-<< I am ready to pick up a 2003 rear derailler for a song and want to use it with my 98
record ergo levers and drivetrain. Will a 9sp chain fit? Will I need to swap out the pulleys? I am
pretty sure that there will be no problems with shifting. >><BR><BR>

It will work fine w/o changes anywhere or any modification..We use 2003/4 rear ders as replacement
ders for all Campagnolo shifters...from 1988 indexing to modern ERGO...

bruni-<< This combination shifts Shimano 9s spacing (narrower). If you want Camp. spacing, price an
index wheel for your ergo's in the "deal" >><BR><BR>

Not true, 1998 ERGO wilh a 2003 rear der will shift Campagnolo 9s spacing w/o problem...

Nick-<< You'll need to replace the ratchet in your Ergo levers to get good shifting, as Campagnolo
changed their derailleur parallelogram a couple of years back. I had to do this when my 1998
derailleur cracked across the mounting bolt housing and the replacement 2001 derailleur Campagnolo
gave me shifted poorly until I also changed the ratchet in the levers.

In my experinece, as we put new, 2003 rear ders on even 1993-4 8s ergo...they work fine w/o
modificatiuon..regardless of Campagnolo or some web sighters may say.

Nick Payne wrote:
> You'll need to replace the ratchet in your Ergo levers to get good shifting, as Campagnolo changed
> their derailleur parallelogram a couple of years back. I had to do this when my 1998 derailleur
> cracked across the mounting bolt housing and the replacement 2001 derailleur Campagnolo gave me
> shifted poorly until I also changed the ratchet in the levers.

The ratchet costs something and it's not an easy job to get those springs back. It'd be far better
to either get a correct derailleur or make do with a "wrong" one. People with more experience than
me say old with new and vice versa "work fine" - although I must admit that I didn't have much luck
either when I tried using an old mech with new Ergos.

~PB