2004 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo - paint scratches / chips very easily, are many others experiencing t

Paul

Guest
I've very recently purchased an '04 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E
Koo. My only complaint is that after only four pretty
average rides it already has about six noticable
scratches / chips on it. Is anyone else suffering a
similar problem? Perhaps I've got one with a duff paint
job (can that even happen?).

I'm not overly bothered by the superficial damage, but then
again it's not a low end no name bike, so I expected better
for my money. I have a good mind to air my feelings at my
LBS (where I purchased the bike), and at least see if they
offer me some touch-up paint for free.

Paul

Paul <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've very recently purchased an '04 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E
> Koo. My only complaint is that after only four pretty
> average rides it already has about six noticable scratches
> / chips on it. Is anyone else suffering a similar problem?
> Perhaps I've got one with a duff paint job (can that even
> happen?).
>
> I'm not overly bothered by the superficial damage, but
> then again it's not a low end no name bike, so I expected
> better for my money. I have a good mind to air my feelings
> at my LBS (where I purchased the bike), and at least see
> if they offer me some touch-up paint for free.
>
> Paul

If you're worring about scratching your bike then don't ride
it! Otherwise accept it as part of the game...

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

Paul wrote:
> I've very recently purchased an '04 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E
> Koo. My only complaint is that after only four pretty
> average rides it already has about six noticable scratches
> / chips on it. Is anyone else suffering a similar problem?
> Perhaps I've got one with a duff paint job (can that even
> happen?).
>
> I'm not overly bothered by the superficial damage, but
> then again it's not a low end no name bike, so I expected
> better for my money. I have a good mind to air my feelings
> at my LBS (where I purchased the bike), and at least see
> if they offer me some touch-up paint for free.
>
> Paul

well.... as an owner of a very nice mountain bike with more
than a few scratches....stay on the paved bike trails if you
don't like scratches. They are part of the deal for mountain
biking. I suppose you could touch them up, I had matching
frame paint but after a while it's an exercise if futility
if you are riding your bike as it's meant to be ridden.

penny

On Mon, 31 May 2004 00:01:46 +0100, Paul <[email protected]> blathered:

>I've very recently purchased an '04 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E
>Koo. My only complaint is that after only four pretty
>average rides it already has about six noticable scratches
>/ chips on it. Is anyone else suffering a similar problem?
>Perhaps I've got one with a duff paint job (can that even
>happen?).
>
>I'm not overly bothered by the superficial damage, but then
>again it's not a low end no name bike, so I expected better
>for my money. I have a good mind to air my feelings at my
>LBS (where I purchased the bike), and at least see if they
>offer me some touch-up paint for free.

Ponce.

Pete

Paul wrote:
> I've very recently purchased an '04 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E
> Koo. My only complaint is that after only four pretty
> average rides it already has about six noticable scratches
> / chips on it. Is anyone else suffering a similar problem?
> Perhaps I've got one with a duff paint job (can that even
> happen?).
>
> I'm not overly bothered by the superficial damage, but
> then again it's not a low end no name bike, so I expected
> better for my money. I have a good mind to air my feelings
> at my LBS (where I purchased the bike), and at least see
> if they offer me some touch-up paint for free.

I think that it's just part and parcel of riding something
that's covered with shiny glossy paint over stones and
rocks. Of course you could cover the entire bike with
several layers of Gladwrap (that's Saran Wrap or something
to you Yanks, isn't it?). How about getting some clear
plastic scratchguard from a Motorcycle shop and cover the
tubes that are most in the line of fire?
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Thanks for the replies so far.

I think some of you misinterpreted my question. I'm never
going to not ride something because stones might fly up and
chip the paint, and I'm not going to be out there cleaning
the bike after every ride. However I don't agree that the
quality of the finish is so irrelevant that any comment on
it should by dismissed out of hand. Accordingly the finish
contrasts so starkly with my previous bike (a Chromoly Trek)
that I thought it was worthy of comment.

Westie wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> I've very recently purchased an '04 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E
>> Koo. My only complaint is that after only four pretty
>> average rides it already has about six noticable
>> scratches / chips on it. Is anyone else suffering a
>> similar problem? Perhaps I've got one with a duff paint
>> job (can that even happen?).
>>
>> I'm not overly bothered by the superficial damage, but
>> then again it's not a low end no name bike, so I expected
>> better for my money. I have a good mind to air my
>> feelings at my LBS (where I purchased the bike), and at
>> least see if they offer me some touch-up paint for free.
>
> I think that it's just part and parcel of riding something
> that's covered with shiny glossy paint over stones and
> rocks. Of course you could cover the entire bike with
> several layers of Gladwrap (that's Saran Wrap or something
> to you Yanks, isn't it?). How about getting some clear
> plastic scratchguard from a Motorcycle shop and cover the
> tubes that are most in the line of fire?

they sell that clear stuff by the roll at ski shops, too,
it's called ski saver

penny

Paul wrote:
| I've very recently purchased an '04 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E
| Koo. My only complaint is that after only four pretty
| average rides it already has about six noticable scratches
| / chips on it. Is anyone else suffering a similar problem?
| Perhaps I've got one with a duff paint job (can that even
| happen?).
|
| I'm not overly bothered by the superficial damage, but
| then again it's not a low end no name bike, so I expected
| better for my money. I have a good mind to air my feelings
| at my LBS (where I purchased the bike), and at least see
| if they offer me some touch-up paint for free.
|
| Paul

I have a 1996 Big Sur. At the time it was made, a Big Sur
was the aluminum equivalent to the HKK (it was CroMo.) The
paint chips off with alarming regularity. It seems to be
very thick and does not adhere to the alloy very well. If
it gets any worse I'll strip the whole thing and polish
the metal.

---
__o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest,
just details. The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com http://intbike.com
_______
Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.692 / Virus
Database: 453 - Release Date: 5/28/2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:17:05 +0100, Paul <[email protected]> blathered:

>Thanks for the replies so far.
>
>I think some of you misinterpreted my question. I'm never
>going to not ride something because stones might fly up and
>chip the paint, and I'm not going to be out there cleaning
>the bike after every ride. However I don't agree that the
>quality of the finish is so irrelevant that any comment on
>it should by dismissed out of hand. Accordingly the finish
>contrasts so starkly with my previous bike (a Chromoly
>Trek) that I thought it was worthy of comment.

You've got a Fisher. The crappy paintjob that comes as
standard is the least of your worries. Good luck!

Pete

The Nelson Paradigm wrote:

> Paul wrote:
> | I've very recently purchased an '04 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo
> | E Koo. My only complaint is that after only four pretty
> | average rides it already has about six noticable
> | scratches / chips on it. Is anyone else suffering a
> | similar problem? Perhaps I've got one with a duff paint
> | job (can that even happen?).
> |
> | I'm not overly bothered by the superficial damage, but
> | then again it's not a low end no name bike, so I
> | expected better for my money. I have a good mind to
> | air my feelings at my LBS (where I purchased the
> | bike), and at least see if they offer me some touch-up
> | paint for free.
> |
> | Paul
>
> I have a 1996 Big Sur. At the time it was made, a Big Sur
> was the aluminum equivalent to the HKK (it was CroMo.) The
> paint chips off with alarming regularity. It seems to be
> very thick and does not adhere to the alloy very well. If
> it gets any worse I'll strip the whole thing and polish
> the metal.

If the frame or paint wasn't prepped right the paint won't
stick. Ignore the guys beating their dicks on the (virtual)
table. If the paint wasn't sticking to their bikes they'd be
****** too. Paint protect the frame from corrosion (yes Al
corrodes). Talk to your LBS.

Shawn

Thanks TNP.

> If it gets any worse I'll strip the whole thing and polish
> the metal.

Exactly what I thought. If I ride the bike for three years,
and the paint gets to bad it's an eye-sore, I can always
strip it down or put it in for a respray. In the meantime
I'm going to enjoy the ride!

On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:35:45 -0400, The Nelson Paradigm
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Paul wrote:
> | I've very recently purchased an '04 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo
> | E Koo. My only complaint is that after only four pretty
> | average rides it already has about six noticable
> | scratches / chips on it. Is anyone else suffering a
> | similar problem? Perhaps I've got one with a duff paint
> | job (can that even happen?).
> |
> | I'm not overly bothered by the superficial damage, but
> | then again it's not a low end no name bike, so I
> | expected better for my money. I have a good mind to
> | air my feelings at my LBS (where I purchased the
> | bike), and at least see if they offer me some touch-up
> | paint for free.
> |
> | Paul
>
> I have a 1996 Big Sur. At the time it was made, a Big Sur
> was the aluminum equivalent to the HKK (it was CroMo.) The
> paint chips off with alarming regularity. It seems to be
> very thick and does not adhere to the alloy very well. If
> it gets any worse I'll strip the whole thing and polish
> the metal.
>

> ---
> __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest,
> just details. The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
> http://intergalax.com http://intbike.com
> _______
> 5/28/2004

Thanks! I researched the Fisher for quite a while, what have
you heard (or experienced) against them?

On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:43:37 +0000 (UTC), Pete Jones
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:17:05 +0100, Paul <[email protected]>
> blathered:
>
>> Thanks for the replies so far.
>>
>> I think some of you misinterpreted my question. I'm never
>> going to not ride something because stones might fly up
>> and chip the paint, and I'm not going to be out there
>> cleaning the bike after every ride. However I don't agree
>> that the quality of the finish is so irrelevant that any
>> comment on it should by dismissed out of hand.
>> Accordingly the finish contrasts so starkly with my
>> previous bike (a Chromoly Trek) that I thought it was
>> worthy of comment.
>
> You've got a Fisher. The crappy paintjob that comes as
> standard is the least of your worries. Good luck!
>
> Pete

On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:15:59 +0100, Paul <[email protected]> blathered:

>Thanks! I researched the Fisher for quite a while, what
>have you heard (or experienced) against them?

Just keep an eye on the welds.... http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/bikes/scal-
weld2.jpg

That was the second to go in exactly the same place in less
than 12 months. I didn't bother with a third.

>> On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:17:05 +0100, Paul <[email protected]>
>> blathered:
>>
>>> Thanks for the replies so far.
>>>
>>> I think some of you misinterpreted my question. I'm
>>> never going to not ride something because stones might
>>> fly up and chip the paint, and I'm not going to be out
>>> there cleaning the bike after every ride. However I
>>> don't agree that the quality of the finish is so
>>> irrelevant that any comment on it should by dismissed
>>> out of hand. Accordingly the finish contrasts so starkly
>>> with my previous bike (a Chromoly Trek) that I thought
>>> it was worthy of comment.
>>
>> You've got a Fisher. The crappy paintjob that comes as
>> standard is the least of your worries. Good luck!
>>
>> Pete

Pete

Shawn Curry wrote:
| The Nelson Paradigm wrote:
|
|| Paul wrote:
||| I've very recently purchased an '04 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo
||| E Koo. My only complaint is that after only four pretty
||| average rides it already has about six noticable
||| scratches / chips on it. Is anyone else suffering a
||| similar problem? Perhaps I've got one with a duff paint
||| job (can that even happen?).
||| I'm not overly bothered by the superficial damage, but
||| then again it's not a low end no name bike, so I
||| expected better for my money. I have a good mind to
||| air my feelings at my LBS (where I purchased the
||| bike), and at least see if they offer me some touch-up
||| paint for free.
||| Paul
|| I have a 1996 Big Sur. At the time it was made, a Big Sur
|| was the aluminum equivalent to the HKK (it was CroMo.)
|| The paint chips off with alarming regularity. It seems to
|| be very thick and does not adhere to the alloy very well.
|| If it gets any worse I'll strip the whole thing and
|| polish the metal.
|
| If the frame or paint wasn't prepped right the paint won't
| stick. Ignore the guys beating their dicks on the
| (virtual) table. If the paint wasn't sticking to their
| bikes they'd be ****** too. Paint protect the frame from
| corrosion (yes Al corrodes). Talk to your LBS.

Uh, I was the LBS when I got that bike. Anyway, in my case
it's second-hand and a commuter bike.

---
__o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest,
just details. The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com http://intbike.com
_______
Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.692 / Virus
Database: 453 - Release Date: 5/28/2004

Jeez, I don't like the look of that much! Do you ride heavy?

On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:54:35 +0000 (UTC), Pete Jones
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:15:59 +0100, Paul <[email protected]>
> blathered:
>

>> Thanks! I researched the Fisher for quite a while, what
>> have you heard (or experienced) against them?
>
> Just keep an eye on the welds.... http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/bikes/scal-
> weld2.jpg
>
> That was the second to go in exactly the same place in
> less than 12 months. I didn't bother with a third.
>

>>> On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:17:05 +0100, Paul <[email protected]>
>>> blathered:

>>> You've got a Fisher. The crappy paintjob that comes as
>>> standard is the least of your worries. Good luck!
>>>
>>> Pete
>
> Pete

| On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:54:35 +0000 (UTC), Pete Jones
| <[email protected]> wrote:
|
|| On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:15:59 +0100, Paul <[email protected]>
|| blathered:
||| Thanks! I researched the Fisher for quite a while, what
||| have you heard (or experienced) against them?
|| Just keep an eye on the welds.... http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/bikes/scal-
|| weld2.jpg
|| That was the second to go in exactly the same place in
|| less than 12 months. I didn't bother with a third.

I have not seen any real problems with Fisher hardtails.
However, I have seen 4 different Sugars break at the
same location (a weld just below the front derailleur.)
That would be 5 if you count one bike that has been re-
framed twice.

---
__o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest,
just details. The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com http://intbike.com
_______
Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.692 / Virus
Database: 453 - Release Date: 5/28/2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:11:04 -0400, "The Nelson Paradigm"
<[email protected]> blathered:

>|| Just keep an eye on the welds.... http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/bikes/scal-
>|| weld2.jpg

>Do you ride heavy?

No, I just ride up and down mountains, which seems to be
outside the design brief for Fisher 'mountain bikes'.

>I have not seen any real problems with Fisher hardtails.
>However, I have seen 4 different Sugars break at the
>same location (a weld just below the front derailleur.)
>That would be 5 if you count one bike that has been re-
>framed twice.

A mate who bought a Sugar gave up on it, it was in the shop
on almost weekly basis getting pivots replaced etc. It had a
fantastic degree of rear end slop and major chainsuck
issues. He now rides a Patriot and loves it.

Pete

Why don't you contact fisher directly via e-mail? I have done so re:issues with my 04 ziggurat. The customer service seems to be right on...I think you will get an answer. However, my case is not yet settled. There have been several solutions offered, but we are just getting back to the negotiating table after the holiday weekend.

I would like to know if you contact them, and what kind of solution you reach. Then we might compare service experience for the benefit of all.

Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:11:04 -0400, "The Nelson Paradigm"
> <[email protected]> blathered:

> >Do you ride heavy?
>
> No, I just ride up and down mountains, which seems to be
> outside the design brief for Fisher 'mountain bikes'.

Way so. Most cookie-cutter bikes are underbuilt (reads
crappy materials, design and fabrication) for real world
conditions and use.

> >I have not seen any real problems with Fisher hardtails.
> >However, I have seen 4 different Sugars break at the
> >same location (a weld just below the front derailleur.)
> >That would be 5 if you count one bike that has been re-
> >framed twice.
>
> A mate who bought a Sugar gave up on it, it was in the
> shop on almost weekly basis getting pivots replaced etc.
> It had a fantastic degree of rear end slop and major
> chainsuck issues.

Fantastic is a fitting adjective in describing the stay flex
on the booger.

> He now rides a Patriot and loves it.

What's her name?

JD