2004 Mavic Ksyrium Comparison: Cosmos vs. Equipe

Scott Raymond

Guest
Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice... and, though it happens rarely, googling has failed me.

I'm going to buy a wheelset - either Mavic's 2004 Ksyrium Cosmos or Equipe. The going prices seem to
be $300 for the Cosmos and $350 for the Equipe.

So my hopefully straightforward question: disregarding price, which is the more durable wheelset for
general training and moderate climbing. Before someone asks what general and moderate mean... I'm
riding less than 150km a week these days and nothing around here (Monterey, CA) presents more than
twenty miutes of climbing.

Are there any other significant factors that differentiate these two
wheelsets>

I will appreciate any perspective... thanks.

Scott-

Based on what I have read and heard, stay away from the cheaper Ksyrium product line. Everyone with
them and everyone I know at a shop carrying bike lines that came equipped with them have told about
how un-reliable they are. Plus they are no lighter that a good set of Open Pros or Velocity Razors
built with Ultegra or Chorus hubs and DB spokes. Only the top end Kysriums seem to have any benefit
but their cost is much higher than the $350.

"Scott Raymond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Guys,
>
> I'm looking for a bit of advice... and, though it happens rarely,
googling
> has failed me.
>
> I'm going to buy a wheelset - either Mavic's 2004 Ksyrium Cosmos or
Equipe.
> The going prices seem to be $300 for the Cosmos and $350 for the Equipe.
>
> So my hopefully straightforward question: disregarding price, which is
the
> more durable wheelset for general training and moderate climbing. Before someone asks what general
> and moderate mean... I'm riding less than 150km
> week these days and nothing around here (Monterey, CA) presents more than twenty miutes of
> climbing.
>
> Are there any other significant factors that differentiate these two
> wheelsets>
>
> I will appreciate any perspective... thanks.
>
> Scott-

How can these new Equipe wheels be "un- relaible". They only have been out for a couple months??? I
have sold a couple sets of the Ksyrium Equipe and they are pretty nice for the $$

Dave Lettieri FasTrack Bicycles

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 09:15:54 -0500, "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Based on what I have read and heard, stay away from the cheaper Ksyrium product line. Everyone with
>them and everyone I know at a shop carrying bike lines that came equipped with them have told about
>how un-reliable they are. Plus they are no lighter that a good set of Open Pros or Velocity Razors
>built with Ultegra or Chorus hubs and DB spokes. Only the top end Kysriums seem to have any benefit
>but their cost is much higher than the $350.
>
>"Scott Raymond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Guys,
>>
>> I'm looking for a bit of advice... and, though it happens rarely,
>googling
>> has failed me.
>>
>> I'm going to buy a wheelset - either Mavic's 2004 Ksyrium Cosmos or
>Equipe.
>> The going prices seem to be $300 for the Cosmos and $350 for the Equipe.
>>
>> So my hopefully straightforward question: disregarding price, which is
>the
>> more durable wheelset for general training and moderate climbing. Before someone asks what
>> general and moderate mean... I'm riding less than 150km
>> week these days and nothing around here (Monterey, CA) presents more than twenty miutes of
>> climbing.
>>
>> Are there any other significant factors that differentiate these two
>> wheelsets>
>>
>> I will appreciate any perspective... thanks.
>>
>> Scott-

I am not sure about the Equipe ones, just the ones that were out the last few years. I don't remeber
the name of the models, but think it was just Kysirums SSC or the like. I hope and assume Mavic got
the feedback and improved on the design so maybe they will be better.

"FasTrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How can these new Equipe wheels be "un- relaible". They only have been out for a couple months???
> I have sold a couple sets of the Ksyrium Equipe and they are pretty nice for the $$
>

> Dave Lettieri FasTrack Bicycles
>

> On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 09:15:54 -0500, "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Based on what I have read and heard, stay away from the cheaper Ksyrium product line. Everyone
> >with them and everyone I know at a shop carrying bike lines that came equipped with them have
> >told about how un-reliable
they
> >are. Plus they are no lighter that a good set of Open Pros or Velocity Razors built with Ultegra
> >or Chorus hubs and DB spokes. Only the top end Kysriums seem to have any benefit but their cost
> >is much higher than the $350.
> >
> >"Scott Raymond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> Guys,
> >>
> >> I'm looking for a bit of advice... and, though it happens rarely,
> >googling
> >> has failed me.
> >>
> >> I'm going to buy a wheelset - either Mavic's 2004 Ksyrium Cosmos or
> >Equipe.
> >> The going prices seem to be $300 for the Cosmos and $350 for the
Equipe.

> >> So my hopefully straightforward question: disregarding price, which is
> >the
> >> more durable wheelset for general training and moderate climbing.
Before
> >> someone asks what general and moderate mean... I'm riding less than
150km
> >> week these days and nothing around here (Monterey, CA) presents more
than
> >> twenty miutes of climbing.
> >>
> >> Are there any other significant factors that differentiate these two
> >> wheelsets>
> >>
> >> I will appreciate any perspective... thanks.
> >>
> >> Scott-

Originally posted by Raymo853
I am not sure about the Equipe ones, just the ones that were out the last few years. I don't remeber
the name of the models, but think it was just Kysirums SSC or the like. I hope and assume Mavic got
the feedback and improved on the design so maybe they will be better.

Kysrium Elites