saddlebags said:Just made a big scr*w up and could do with some advice. I have a 9 speed road bike and decided to upgrade the wheels to the 2006 Campag Eurus wheelset. I bought them online and made the schoolboy error of throwing the packaging away. I realised too late that they come with a 10 speed hub and the online shop won't take them back. Nightmare!
Anyways as I see it I have 2 choices:
1. Sell the wheels and buy others that are compatible with my 9 speed bike.
2. Buy new 10 speed levers and rear mech (along with the cassette that I was going to put on with the new wheels anyways).
Both options mean losing money for sure. Any thoughts? I hope someone might tell me I'm missing something but I'm not hopeful. ??
I think I may know a way that you may be able to do 9s with your current drivetrain on these wheels. It involves some expense but cheaper than going all 10s or getting another set of wheels.
1. Obtain an Ultegra (or Dura-Ace) 10s cassette with an 11T small cog. Remove the 11T and replace with a spacer equivalent in width to the cog and place this between the large cassette cog and the freehub. You will end up with a 9s cassette with 10s spacing. You would be left with 12T as your smallest cog.
2. Get a Jtek Shiftmate (model #2) and install it on your derailleur such as to allow Shimano 9s to shift 10s spaced cassette.
3. Use a 10s chain.
4. Adjust your rear derailleur stops to align the derailleur as you usually would.
I have not done this, but I think that it would work. You would basically convert your 9s drivetrain to 10s spacing but use only 9s cogs. If you wanted to upgrade to 10s in the future, you would just need new shifters since you would already have the cassette and chain. 9s rear mech works fine with 10s chains and cassettes. Just remove the shiftmate when converting to 10s.