Last night, I hit 22 mph on my guni, according to my very reliable cycle
computer. My GPS watch only showed a top speed of 20.4, but it tends to
miss those small bursts of speed that the cyclo catches. The 20.4 made
me happy because it means that I was able to maintain that speed for a
short while.
I rode around Prospect Park in record time: 13.20 or so for the 3.35
miles of the course, averaging 14.8 mph for the hilly ride. I kept the
uni in high gear even for the heavy-duty uphill part (I think that
downshifting would have slowed me considerably) and could not have gone
much faster, but I'm sure I can get the time under 13 minutes. I'll
give it another try this evening.
I can tell you one thing: That ride wore me out! When it was over, I
went for another 3.5 miles over a different route, and most of that
time I could barely manage 10 mph. My watch is programmed to chirp if
my speed goes below 10, so after my super fast ride, the rest of my
exercise was punctuated by the unpleasant reminder of my own
exhaustion. My watch is also programmed to alert me if I ever exceed 20
mph, but I didn't hear it due to the volume of my iPod combined with
the rush of the wind. Bummer. I did want to hear that sound. I'll have
to try for that one again today!
--
David_Stone
Dictator for Life,
NYUC
Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48669