25.8 seatpost -) 27.0 / 27.2?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Biggs, Apr 26, 2003.

  1. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Long shot: Is there a seatpost shim on the market to enable a 25.8 seatpost to fit 27.0 or 27.2
    frames? Got one for sale even?

    I don't need the shim at the moment but there's a certain seatpost I'd buy if it could be shimmed.

    ~PB

    Tags:

  2. Mark Potter

    Mark Potter Guest

    when I bought a new bike I wanted to use my old x-lite seat pi so I used a shim, I got it from work.
    if you want to use a shim simply workout how much smaller your pin is from what you want it to be,
    in your case 27.2-52.8= 1.4mm then half it (0.7mm) now all you need to do is find some material
    0.7mm thick cut a piece to go round your seat (try to get it as long as possible that way you will
    have the most material in contact with your frame) and away your go!!! Mark "Pete Biggs"
    <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Long shot: Is there a seatpost shim on the market to enable a 25.8 seatpost to fit 27.0 or 27.2
    > frames? Got one for sale even?
    >
    > I don't need the shim at the moment but there's a certain seatpost I'd buy if it could be shimmed.
    >
    > ~PB

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
    > Long shot: Is there a seatpost shim on the market to enable a 25.8 seatpost to fit 27.0 or 27.2
    > frames? Got one for sale even?
    >
    > I don't need the shim at the moment but there's a certain seatpost I'd buy if it could be shimmed.

    Cane Creek and Post Moderne do a 25.4 to 26.6 and 26.8mm which will do the job with the very
    gentlest of persuasion. The USE XCR also comes in 25.0 to
    26.2 and 26.4 which would need a bit more persuasion. You can get them from Wiggle
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryName=Seat%20Post

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  4. Nc

    Nc Guest

    > Long shot: Is there a seatpost shim on the market to enable a 25.8 seatpost to fit 27.0 or 27.2
    > frames? Got one for sale even?

    Dig around Wiggle site reveals that PostModern do 26mm I/D, 27.2mm O/D. Might be near
    enough to work.

    NC

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

    I'm concerned about bodging because I've even had trouble fitting a 27.2 post into a 27.2 frame
    before!! (Because some posts are slightly larger than they're supposed to be: shows how critical the
    diameter can be). But I suppose the shims have a certain amount of flexibility because they
    incorporate some slit or split.

    This would just be for a seatpost spotted on eBay - that I don't need urgently anyway. I'm not sure
    I'll bother bidding unless I can be sure of getting the right shim cheaply and easily.

    Shame they're aren't more /good/ 25.0 and 27.0 seatposts around (two-bolt type). I mainly want a
    second post* for my 27.0 road bike (got shims for
    25. already). I would be very interested in a 25.0 ITM Big One or Millenium (or v similar) if anyone
    has one for sale. Got a Big One already, if you pardon the expression, and it works very well,
    so would like another.

    * Would be a great way of quickly swapping saddles and removing seatpost rack for short fast local
    rides or racing, etc. Change of saddle is as good as a rest, I find, and a different fore/aft
    saddle positions can suit different types of riding. Just swapping the whole post with saddle is
    sooooo much easier than fiddling with saddle clamp.

    ~PB

  6. pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc schreef ...
    > Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
    >
    > I'm concerned about bodging because I've even had trouble fitting a 27.2 post into a 27.2 frame
    > before!! (Because some posts are slightly larger than they're supposed to be: shows how critical
    > the diameter can be). But I suppose the shims have a certain amount of flexibility because they
    > incorporate some slit or split.

    And if they're too big, you can easily lessen their diameter with sandpaper.

    --
    Regards, Marten

  7. Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote ...
    > Long shot: Is there a seatpost shim on the market to enable a 25.8 seatpost to fit 27.0 or 27.2
    > frames? Got one for sale even?
    >
    > I don't need the shim at the moment but there's a certain seatpost I'd buy if it could be shimmed.

    I saw in our LBS a couple of years ago a variable seatpost shim - tapered inner/outer shims, with
    the overlap variable to suit. AFAICR it said Raleigh in the packaging.

    Andrew

  8. Hugh Fenton

    Hugh Fenton Guest

    Hey, hasn't anyone out there "Zen and the Art........" - where are all the old coke cans Cheers
    Serbian Cyclist

    news:[email protected]...