Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

27" tires - Still in production?

Started by DJA · · Last activity · 21 posts · 1,235 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
27 September 2004
Last activity
1 October 2004
Original author
DJA
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,235
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires? Or, is everything
    available New Old Stock?

    At some point I will need/want new wheels for my '80's project bike and
    I'd like to stay with 27". Would I be dead-ended if I buy new 27" wheels?

    I won't need anything special, just a 27x1 1/8 (28x630) generic road tire.

    --
    David
    dja--dot--mail--at--comcast--dot--net

  2. "DJA" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires? Or, is everything available New
    Old Stock?

    At some point I will need/want new wheels for my '80's project bike and I'd
    like to stay with 27". Would I be dead-ended if I buy new 27" wheels?

    I won't need anything special, just a 27x1 1/8 (28x630) generic road tire.

    --
    David
    dja--dot--mail--at--comcast--dot--net

    Performance still carries them.

    Neal

  3. DJA said:

    Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires? Or, is everything
    available New Old Stock?

    At some point I will need/want new wheels for my '80's project bike and
    I'd like to stay with 27". Would I be dead-ended if I buy new 27" wheels?

    I won't need anything special, just a 27x1 1/8 (28x630) generic road tire.


    Continental make a few, including the SuperSport 1000 which is
    reasonably fast. There's also the Panaracer Pasela and others. Rims
    are becoming scarcer but are still out there.

  4. DJA said:

    Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires? Or, is everything
    available New Old Stock?

    At some point I will need/want new wheels for my '80's project bike and
    I'd like to stay with 27". Would I be dead-ended if I buy new 27" wheels?

    I won't need anything special, just a 27x1 1/8 (28x630) generic road tire.

    Choices are slim, but there isn't any real problem getting the ones
    that remain available. Most bike shops carry at least one or two.
    Even Wal-Mart carries a cheap one. (In both sense of the word.)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  5. DJA said:

    Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires? Or, is everything
    available New Old Stock?

    two very good choices :

    27"x1 IRC triathlon - wire bead - 270g - nashbar

    27"x1 1/8 Panaracer Pasela Tourguard Kevlar - kevlar bead - 250g - nashbar

    both ON SALE RIGHT NOW at about half price ($9, $14).
    These two tires would be state-of-the-art on a 1980's bike.
    In particular, panaracer pasela is a descendent of Schwinn LeTour.
    Panasonic made all those dang tires for Schwinn in the 1970's.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Werehatrack said:
    DJA said:

    Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires? Or, is everything
    available New Old Stock?

    At some point I will need/want new wheels for my '80's project bike and
    I'd like to stay with 27". Would I be dead-ended if I buy new 27" wheels?

    I won't need anything special, just a 27x1 1/8 (28x630) generic road tire.

    Choices are slim, but there isn't any real problem getting the ones
    that remain available. Most bike shops carry at least one or two.
    Even Wal-Mart carries a cheap one. (In both sense of the word.)

    Yup, got mine at Wal-mart. I wouldn't recommend them.

    --
    B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail.net

  7. Nashbar and sheldonbrown.com carry a decent selection. Nashbar in
    particular has a decent inexpensive selection. IRCs, Paselas,
    Continentals, Vittorias, all for about $15 or less. In sizes from
    27x1", 27x1 1/8", and 27x1 1/4" And also the house brand made by Cheng
    Shin, which I found very good, for less than $10. I just bought a pair
    of 27x1 1/4" Nashbar kevlar belted tires. Not bad at all.

    27x1-3/8" sizes are the only ones that seem to be getting scarce,
    particularly in road tires. There are a few knobbys in that size, but
    shldonbrown.com seems to be the only place I know of that still has
    road tires in that size. They also have a 27x7/8" tire NOS. You'll not
    likely find may nore of these once they're gone.

  8. "papercut" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Nashbar and sheldonbrown.com carry a decent selection. Nashbar in
    particular has a decent inexpensive selection. IRCs, Paselas,
    Continentals, Vittorias, all for about $15 or less. In sizes from
    27x1", 27x1 1/8", and 27x1 1/4" And also the house brand made by Cheng
    Shin, which I found very good, for less than $10. I just bought a pair
    of 27x1 1/4" Nashbar kevlar belted tires. Not bad at all.

    27x1-3/8" sizes are the only ones that seem to be getting scarce,
    particularly in road tires. There are a few knobbys in that size, but
    shldonbrown.com seems to be the only place I know of that still has
    road tires in that size. They also have a 27x7/8" tire NOS. You'll not
    likely find may nore of these once they're gone.

    Agree, Sheldon Brown has the last of the 27" Avocets and only in 27x7/8.
    Still, if you can ride these, its a great buy:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/special.html#tires

  9. (papercut) said:

    Nashbar and sheldonbrown.com carry a decent selection. Nashbar in
    particular has a decent inexpensive selection. IRCs, Paselas,
    Continentals, Vittorias, all for about $15 or less. In sizes from
    27x1", 27x1 1/8", and 27x1 1/4" And also the house brand made by Cheng
    Shin, which I found very good, for less than $10. I just bought a pair
    of 27x1 1/4" Nashbar kevlar belted tires. Not bad at all.

    You can get Cheng Shin tires at Walmart for $7
    27 - 1-1/4

  10. On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 04:07:26 GMT, Big_Jerk <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    (papercut) said:

    Nashbar and sheldonbrown.com carry a decent selection. Nashbar in
    particular has a decent inexpensive selection. IRCs, Paselas,
    Continentals, Vittorias, all for about $15 or less. In sizes from
    27x1", 27x1 1/8", and 27x1 1/4" And also the house brand made by Cheng
    Shin, which I found very good, for less than $10. I just bought a pair
    of 27x1 1/4" Nashbar kevlar belted tires. Not bad at all.

    You can get Cheng Shin tires at Walmart for $7
    27 - 1-1/4

    And almost worth it. (Cheng Shin, like most tire makers, provides a
    variety of designs and levels of quality. Wal-Mart, sadly, does
    not...and they apparently picked an inexpensive, inefficient tire to
    stock in their stores.)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  11. DJA asked:

    Quoted message said:

    Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires?

    Yes, indeed: Continental, Panaracer, Kenda, Michelin, Schwalbe, and a
    few others still make 27" (630mm) tyres.

    Quoted message said:

    Or, is everything available New Old Stock?

    That would be New *Original* Stock, Yank.

    --
    "Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much
    to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes,
    it has not died out." -- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

  12. DJA said:

    Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires? Or, is everything
    available New Old Stock?

    At some point I will need/want new wheels for my '80's project bike and
    I'd like to stay with 27". Would I be dead-ended if I buy new 27" wheels?

    I won't need anything special, just a 27x1 1/8 (28x630) generic road tire.


    Any competent LBS in the business of servicing bicycles will
    have something under $10, a selection of widths and styles
    under $20. Plus several 'knobbies'.

    Kenda, IRC, Panaracer and Michelin ( the tires we sell here)
    each have many 27" models.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  13. DJA->Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires?

    Yep, many manufacturers. Conti, and many Asian makers.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  14. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Or, is everything available New Old Stock?

    That would be New *Original* Stock, Yank.

    Maybe. Around here it's "new, old stock".

    Is that where people say "turn left right here"?

    --
    "Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much
    to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes,
    it has not died out." -- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

  15. On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 05:01:06 GMT, Werehatrack <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 04:07:26 GMT, Big_Jerk <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    (papercut) said:

    Nashbar and sheldonbrown.com carry a decent selection. Nashbar in
    particular has a decent inexpensive selection. IRCs, Paselas,
    Continentals, Vittorias, all for about $15 or less. In sizes from
    27x1", 27x1 1/8", and 27x1 1/4" And also the house brand made by Cheng
    Shin, which I found very good, for less than $10. I just bought a pair
    of 27x1 1/4" Nashbar kevlar belted tires. Not bad at all.

    You can get Cheng Shin tires at Walmart for $7
    27 - 1-1/4

    And almost worth it. (Cheng Shin, like most tire makers, provides a
    variety of designs and levels of quality. Wal-Mart, sadly, does
    not...and they apparently picked an inexpensive, inefficient tire to
    stock in their stores.)

    I've bought the same tire at my LBS.
    It's the same as Wally World.
    Cheap, but a decent tire.

  16. Does anyone know who makes or where I can get 27" knobbys for my 'ol Schwinn. Probably 1.25". Don't really know, kind of a newbie here. I find they provide more durable usage for a casual around town road bike and occasional dirt path or two.
    Thanks

    Mike

  17. what's in the road....a....head???

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  18. mfinger1 <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone know who makes or where I can get 27" knobbys for my 'ol
    Schwinn. Probably 1.25". Don't really know, kind of a newbie here. I
    find they provide more durable usage for a casual around town road bike
    and occasional dirt path or two.
    Thanks

    Mike

    Mike,

    I just received this link on a related thread.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/630.html

    27 x 1 3/8" Club Roost Cross Terra
    27 x 1 3/8" Tioga Bloodhound

    Good luck, Tracy

  19. I won't need anything special, just a 27x1 1/8 (28x630) generic road tire.

    try the Conti TT M.O. from AMuzi or Harris cyclery. incomparable.
    put in slime liners and a slime tubes and yawl never let go!!
    watch nashbar.com - a catalog every three days- for 27" wheel sales

  20. This is a repost because the other news server seems to be no longer
    propagating messages very far.

    Email to me is just like email to my son, or talking to him for that
    matter: messages are not monitored or answered.

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (George Herbert Walker) said:

    In article [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Is anyone still manufacturing 27" road tires? Or, is everything
    available New Old Stock?

    Quoted message said:


    I won't need anything special, just a 27x1 1/8 (28x630) generic road tire.

    IRC Roadwinner & Roadwinner Duro 27x1-1/8, 27x1-1/4
    Panaracer Pasela & Pasela Tourguard, same
    Continental Ultragatorskin 27x1-1/8
    Continental Top Touring 27x1-1/4
    Michelin World Tour 27x1-1/4
    Vittoria Zaffiro 27x1-1/8
    Generic Kenda & Cheng Shin

    I add to these the VeeRubber knock off of the Avocet Cross, and the
    Continental Sport1000 (or is it SuperSport1000), the latter in both
    27x1-1/8 and 27x1-1/4.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    At some point I will need/want new wheels for my '80's project bike and
    I'd like to stay with 27". Would I be dead-ended if I buy new 27" wheels?

    Seems as if not, as two of these models were just introduced this year or
    last or close to it.

    --
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

    Please excuse the inconvenience allegedly caused by our son. Send
    us the bill for all the damages, and we can settle this to your
    satisfaction, without any need for a public record of the incident.

    Most Sincerely, George and Bar

    --
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

    Please excuse the inconvenience allegedly caused by our son.
    Send
    us the bill for all the damages, and we can settle this to your
    satisfaction, without any need for a public record of the incident.

    Most Sincerely, George and Bar

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.