John Everett said:greypilgrim_oh said:
Until last year, I have been riding a comfort bike. This year I bought a
Fuji touring bike and have enjoyed the lower rolling resistance on the
700x32 tires. I'm wondering if I'll notice much reduction in the
rolling resistance if I move to a 700x28 tire.
As it happens, I have a Fuji Touring Series also. Coincidentally I
also happen to have a pair of 700 x 32s (Michelin Tracers) and 700 x
28s (Conti Super Sports) which I interchange. I put on the 32s when
I'm planning to ride on unpaved trails, for example the crushed
limestone surfaces of the Katy Trail in Missouri or the Illinois
Prairie Path. The 28s are for pavement.
I just got back from cycling in Summit County, Colorado, exclusively
on paved trails and roads. I had the 32s mounted and forgot to change
tires before I left. I honestly couldn't detect any real difference.
jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Dear John,
Hmmm . . . The highest point in Illinois is Charles Mound at
1135 feet. The highest point in Missouri is Taum Sauk
Mountain at 1772 feet.
Summit County, Colorado, enjoys an altitude of about 9,000
feet around popular Dillon Reservoir:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.6&lon=-106.01667
So let's start with the defaults for a "roadster" with
"robust" tires at 1150 feet on this handy calculator and
vary the tires and elevation:
http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
bike elev. tires mph
---- ---- ----- ---
roadster 1150 robust 14.8 Illinois
roadster 9000 robust 16.2 Colorado
roadster 1150 medium 15.7 Illinois
roadster 9000 medium 17.2 Colorado
The predicted improvement due to reduced wind drag at higher
altitude is about 50% more than the improvment due to
reduced rolling resistance with the better tire.
(I gain about 1 mph at 5,000 feet, but carefully forget to
mention this advantage when talking to sea-level friends.)
In theory, the same effort that propels us at 14.8 mph in
Illnois at around 1150 feet will make us go about 10% faster
(16.2 mph) on vacation at 9,000 feet in Colorado when we use
the same chubby tires.
Whether we'd notice such speed differences is another
matter. Without instruments, a solo rider cannot hope to
detect most of the speed differences debated on
rec.bicycles.tech.
In this case, there are other reasons why speeds in Colorado
may not seem any different than speeds near the Mississipi.
For one thing, we may not be putting out as many watts if
we're not used to 9,000 feet. Another problem is that Summit
County is likely to have more and steeper hills than
Illinois and Missouri, so there might not be any real
comparison. Finally, few of us spend a vacation in Colorado
staring at odometers and stop-watches.
Carl Fogel