Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

29ers Anyone?

Started by Gary in VA · · Last activity · 27 posts · 896 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
22 May 2004
Last activity
27 May 2004
Original author
Gary in VA
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
896
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–27 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Gary in VA" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Carla A-G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    A buddy of ours rides a SS 29'r (a beautiful Strong frame). He swears by


    the

    Quoted message said:

    bike and rides it everywhere.

    - CA-G

    Strong is the maker I'm thinking about. Trying to choose between them and
    Sycip.

    Gary in VA

    Strong has Jason The Mutant welding for him now. Even so, Strong is
    the better choice, especially for custom.

    JD

  2. (JD) said:
    Booker C. Bense said:
    JD said:

    "Gary in VA" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > ... I've ridden a couple of 29ers and liked them.
    > Anyone here have any long term experience on them? Pros? Cons?

    Crappy rim and tire selection.

    _ While there aren't 800 roughly identical tires, there are
    enough to be getting on with.

    For you, but not for me. Subtle differences in tires are noticed by
    an experenced rider. Barneys see tires as "roughly identical"...
    ...As far as what Tom Purvis had to say, he can ramble on all he wants
    about 29ers. I'm (as most other mountain bikers) not buying it.

    So don't. I'm really not selling it. I tried to describe it. FYI.

    As for rambling on, well, everybody's good at something. Maybe you
    should killfile me.

    Why so much angst about this subject? Why should you care if a few
    barneys like me roll around on different wheels and rubber?
    --
    Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
    certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."-Bertrand Russell

  3. Tom Purvis said:
    (JD) said:
    Booker C. Bense said:

    JD <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >"Gary in VA" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >>... I've ridden a couple of 29ers and liked them.
    >>Anyone here have any long term experience on them? Pros? Cons?
    >
    >Crappy rim and tire selection.

    _ While there aren't 800 roughly identical tires, there are
    enough to be getting on with.

    For you, but not for me. Subtle differences in tires are noticed by
    an experenced rider. Barneys see tires as "roughly identical"...
    ...As far as what Tom Purvis had to say, he can ramble on all he wants
    about 29ers. I'm (as most other mountain bikers) not buying it.

    So don't. I'm really not selling it. I tried to describe it. FYI.

    As for rambling on, well, everybody's good at something. Maybe you
    should killfile me.

    Why so much angst about this subject? Why should you care if a few
    barneys like me roll around on different wheels and rubber?

    As long as it's you and not some naive impressionable person that got
    talked into buying something that is being marketed just so the bicycle
    industry can grow another revenue stream that's fine. The angst comes from
    hearing the BS that comes out of the manufacturers.

    Greg

  4. [email hidden] (Tom Purvis) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Why so much angst about this subject?

    Contrary to what you may think, I have no anxiety at all about 29ers.
    I'm mostly amused by hype, those who buy into it and then try to pawn
    it off as a standard.

    JD

  5. JD said:

    [email hidden] (Tom Purvis) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Why so much angst about this subject?

    Contrary to what you may think, I have no anxiety at all about 29ers.
    I'm mostly amused by hype, those who buy into it and then try to pawn
    it off as a standard.

    JD

    Not that it would have been different on 26", but my brother sure kicked my
    ass last night on his 29" Karate Monkey. He loves it, but he _is_ a
    triathlete (who incidentally got 2nd Expert in the Moab X-Terra last
    weekend).

    Matt (the odd one out in a crazy triathlete family)

  6. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    JD said:

    Booker C. Bense <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    JD said:

    "Gary in VA" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
    > I start a new job on Monday (after 18 months of
    > unemployment/underemployment) and of course my first thought is about a new
    > bike. I've ridden a couple of 29ers and liked them. Anyone here have any
    > long term experience on them? Pros? Cons?
    >
    > Gary in VA (and staying in VA)

    Crappy rim and tire selection.

    _ While there aren't 800 roughly identical tires, there are
    enough to be getting on with.

    For you, but not for me. Subtle differences in tires are noticed by
    an experenced rider. Barneys see tires as "roughly identical".

    _ Yeah! I'm a Barney and a Fred! Despised by both "serious
    experienced" riders on both road and dirt...

    _ Booker C. Bense

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBQLSpVWTWTAjn5N/lAQEY9QP/TvYZwimJZbNy2fLYnOQBSjCdVEI2yk6w
    v5nGJsR3mJ2mmDRB/iUFC83sbiauKmh8p1w2NNsp8VMGM2Oz9zaZKCUe96d9TpuV
    ltg+Kt77YsL4kzzHFAES6IY4f2RqiXxcnCqEoNwo8Z0PJK+3fGX0zCKSpMbHRHOJ
    Jg3LBNK9ITI=
    =WJuA
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  7. Booker C. Bense <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    JD said:

    Booker C. Bense <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    JD <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >Crappy rim and tire selection.
    >

    _ While there aren't 800 roughly identical tires, there are
    enough to be getting on with.

    For you, but not for me. Subtle differences in tires are noticed by
    an experenced rider. Barneys see tires as "roughly identical".

    _ Yeah! I'm a Barney and a Fred! Despised by both "serious
    experienced" riders on both road and dirt...

    Yeah, "stanford" says it all. Do you work for Yahoo!?

    JD

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.