Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

2nd-hand track bike - advice needed

Started by hippy · · Last activity · 35 posts · 1,078 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
1 September 2003
Last activity
16 September 2003
Original author
hippy
Posts
35
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,078
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 35
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. (X-POST: aus.bicycle, rec.bicycles.misc)

    I spotted this bike for sale and spoke to the owner.
    I'd like any opinions about such a setup as a
    beginner track bike:

    Track Bike with 22inch frame (55cm)
    Brooks saddle ($200AUD new?)
    Reynolds 351 tubing (I assume he means 531?)
    extra wheels for training,
    Campag record hubs ($400AUD new)
    Conti singles (used once)
    Look clipless pedals
    Cinelli alu bar/stem
    Sugino cranks
    6 chainrings
    Shimano size 44 shoes
    HomeMageTrainer
    $650AUD

    Without the trainer and shoes, he wants $500AUD
    which is about the cost of a new Miche track
    groupset these days, I believe.
    He said the frame is 30 years old but in top
    condition and really stiff - but then of course
    he is going to say that! 🙂
    55cm is slightly smaller than the 56cm road frame
    I currently ride - does track geometry differ
    vastly from road geometry? Would this be in my
    region for sizing?
    It has brand new singles which he said had been
    raced on once and are quite expensive, along with
    Record hubs and even a spare set of wheels which,
    I assume, take clincher tyres for training rides.
    I have a frame sitting at home that I was going
    to build into a cheap track bike but I just can't
    get cheap parts for it quick enough so this looks
    like the next best thing. It's still cheaper than buying
    a new track bike for ~$1000AUD.

    So, assuming this bike is in good condition, would
    you recommend it?
    What would you look for in a second hand
    track bike?
    What questions should I ask the guy before
    driving miles away to check it out?
    What should I look for on it if I do drive
    miles away to check it out?

    Thanks for any suggestions,
    hippy

  2. hippy said:

    (X-POST: aus.bicycle, rec.bicycles.misc)

    I spotted this bike for sale and spoke to the owner. I'd like any opinions
    about such a setup as a beginner track bike:

    Track Bike with 22inch frame (55cm)
    Brooks saddle ($200AUD new?)

    Quoted message said:

    Without the trainer and shoes, he wants $500AUD which is about the cost of
    a new Miche track groupset these days, I believe.
    He said the frame is 30 years old but in top condition and really stiff -
    but then of course he is going to say that! 🙂

    Well, the thirty years old is probably true, if it's 531. I ride such a
    track bike. The condition of the bike and the saddle (if you want a
    Brooks saddle) will matter a lot in terms of its value.

    Quoted message said:

    55cm is slightly smaller than the 56cm road frame I currently ride - does
    track geometry differ vastly from road geometry? Would this be in my
    region for sizing?

    Probably. It used to be standard advice to go about 1cm smaller in a
    track frame -- but that was in the days when road frames were typically
    sized larger than today. You will also have to check out top tube length
    and other things to see if it really fits.

    Geometry of a track bike of that vintage was steep and tight for the time, which
    makes it about standard for road bikes now.

    Quoted message said:

    It has brand new singles which he said had been raced on once and are
    quite expensive,

    It does depend on how long they have sat in the garage since.

    along with Record hubs and even a spare set of wheels

    Quoted message said:

    which, I assume, take clincher tyres for training rides. I have a frame
    sitting at home that I was going to build into a cheap track bike but I
    just can't get cheap parts for it quick enough so this looks like the next
    best thing. It's still cheaper than buying a new track bike for


    ~$1000AUD.

    Well, yes. It will be heavier, too. To compare this to a new track bike,
    the frame itself will be a pound to two pounds heavier. It will not be as
    stiff as a typical aluminum frame you can get now. The components are
    good -- if the hubs have been taken care of. Those Campy hubs were
    beautifully made. I still have a set, though I don't use them since they
    are still laced up to tubular rims.

    Quoted message said:

    So, assuming this bike is in good condition, would you recommend it?

    Possibly

    Quoted message said:

    What would you look for in a second hand track bike?

    Frame condition; evidence of crashes or serious repair.

    Quoted message said:

    What questions should I ask the guy before driving miles away to check it
    out?

    He's probably not going to tell you if he has crashed -- or how badly --
    or if a tube has been replaced. Ask him what brand it is. That can tell
    you a lot about the initial quality. If it's a Cinelli or Masi, then at
    least at one time it was definitely worth something. If it's a post-1972
    Legnano, maybe not.

    Quoted message said:

    What should I look for on it if I do drive miles away to check it out?

    Ride it. See how it feels. Is it the type of bike you are looking for?
    Track bikes are not all alike. Back then, a sprint bike would have round
    fork tubes, really beefy lugs, steep angles, and would be strongly built
    for the abuse a sprinter would mete out. A pursuit bike would have more
    road-like angles and lugs, would be somewhat lighter (by the standards of
    the day), and might be more comfortable for road use.

    Are you planning to race this?  What event? For a pursuit specialist I
    can't see getting 30-year old iron. You give away too much weight
    penalty, when for a few hundred more you can get something built for the
    task. Sprinters are more conservative, and still tend to ride strong,
    heavier bikes (I've seen steel bars on some even recently), so that would
    not be so much of a negative.

    If you are just going to ride it, on the road, go for what you like.
    However, do plan to hang a brake on the front -- and make sure the crown
    can be drilled without problems. Mine has a big, thick Nervex crown which
    is vastly overengineered; drilling that was no problem.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a
    _`\(,_ | conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw
    (_)/ (_) |

  3. David Johnson covers this much more thoroughly than I can, but I'll refer
    you to the fixed gear list at:

    http://lists.davintech.ca

    --

    alan

    Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

    "hippy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    (X-POST: aus.bicycle, rec.bicycles.misc)

    I spotted this bike for sale and spoke to the owner.
    I'd like any opinions about such a setup as a
    beginner track bike:

    Track Bike with 22inch frame (55cm)
    Brooks saddle ($200AUD new?)
    Reynolds 351 tubing (I assume he means 531?)
    extra wheels for training,
    Campag record hubs ($400AUD new)
    Conti singles (used once)
    Look clipless pedals
    Cinelli alu bar/stem
    Sugino cranks
    6 chainrings
    Shimano size 44 shoes
    HomeMageTrainer
    $650AUD

  4. "hippy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    <lots of good stuff about a lovely sounding track bike>

    For $500, how far wrong can you go? Even if the frame is complete junk, I'm
    sure it'd have $500 worth of parts on it.

    Is it actually possible to have too many bikes?

    Regards,

    Suzy

    PS: If you do decide you don't want it, please let me know the details of
    the seller so I can buy it 🙂

  5. "David L. Johnson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    sized larger than today. You will also have to check out top tube


    length

    Quoted message said:

    and other things to see if it really fits.

    How much adjustment could I expect from a track stem in terms
    of fore/aft movement, if the top tube length wasn't optimal?

    Quoted message said:

    Well, yes. It will be heavier, too. To compare this to a new track


    bike,

    Quoted message said:

    the frame itself will be a pound to two pounds heavier. It will not


    be as

    Quoted message said:

    stiff as a typical aluminum frame you can get now. The components are

    Does weight really matter that much on a track bike? Especially one used
    by a total track novice?

    Quoted message said:

    He's probably not going to tell you if he has crashed -- or how


    badly --

    Quoted message said:

    or if a tube has been replaced. Ask him what brand it is.

    I did ask about brand and he didn't know, so I guess he bought it second
    hand as well. It's probably had 20 coats of paint in its 30 year life.
    If I
    do go and have a look at it, I'll check for any distictive markings.
    Actually
    if I did drive to look at it I'd probably just buy it :-)

    Quoted message said:

    you a lot about the initial quality. If it's a Cinelli or Masi, then


    at

    Quoted message said:

    least at one time it was definitely worth something. If it's a


    post-1972

    Quoted message said:

    Legnano, maybe not.

    Other than paint and stickers, is there any way to tell what brand it
    could
    be?

    Quoted message said:

    Are you planning to race this? What event? For a pursuit specialist I
    can't see getting 30-year old iron. You give away too much weight
    penalty, when for a few hundred more you can get something built for


    the

    Quoted message said:

    task. Sprinters are more conservative, and still tend to ride strong,
    heavier bikes (I've seen steel bars on some even recently), so that


    would

    Quoted message said:

    not be so much of a negative.

    Well, I want to give track racing a shot. It's difficult/impossible for
    me
    to arrive early enough to use club bikes and I wanted to avoid spending
    $1k on a new one. As for types of events, I have no idea. I doubt I will
    be very competitive starting out anyway.

    Quoted message said:

    If you are just going to ride it, on the road, go for what you like.
    However, do plan to hang a brake on the front -- and make sure the


    crown

    Quoted message said:

    can be drilled without problems. Mine has a big, thick Nervex crown


    which

    Quoted message said:

    is vastly overengineered; drilling that was no problem.

    That is a slight problem - I would like to try fixed-gear on the road
    but
    track bikes have no brakes. I will have to check out the crown as you
    say. What are the chances of fitting a different fork to it for road
    use?

    Thanks muchly,
    hippy

  6. "Suzy Jackson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    For $500, how far wrong can you go? Even if the frame is complete


    junk, I'm

    Quoted message said:

    sure it'd have $500 worth of parts on it.

    Yeah, well that's what I was thinking. It does sound to me like
    a pretty good option - but I don't know anything about track
    bikes, hence this post.

    Quoted message said:

    Is it actually possible to have too many bikes?

    Well, I have 7 at the moment (after getting rid of the kiddy bike)
    and I am quite low on space in my unit with all my other [censored]...
    But I'll always find room for another bike :-)

    Quoted message said:

    PS: If you do decide you don't want it, please let me know the


    details of

    Quoted message said:

    the seller so I can buy it 🙂

    I will do that.

    hippy

  7. Just a general comment: don't buy a track bike from someone who says
    they've never crashed it. Everyone has had a few big stacks on the
    track, but a decent frame takes the abuse anyway.

    I wouldn't spend too much on it until you're hooked. If you buy second
    hand you don;t usually lose much if you decide not to race after all.
    (I'm only saying this becuase I've seen people who race track once, get
    spooked and never come back).

    --

    Quoted message said:

    --------------------------<


    Posted via cyclingforums.com
    http://www.cyclingforums.com

  8. "Shabby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just a general comment: don't buy a track bike from someone who says
    they've never crashed it. Everyone has had a few big stacks on the
    track, but a decent frame takes the abuse anyway.

    Well if it is in good nick and it's 30 years old it's doing ok :-)

    Quoted message said:

    I wouldn't spend too much on it until you're hooked. If you buy second
    hand you don;t usually lose much if you decide not to race after all.

    I haven't seen anything except frames for less than $500 so it does
    sound like a good deal to me. I already want it, but I wanted to hear
    of any issues before shelling out the dollars...

    Quoted message said:

    (I'm only saying this becuase I've seen people who race track once,


    get

    Quoted message said:

    spooked and never come back).

    Yeah, that'll be me.. no doubt I lose it over the banking and end up
    impalled on a still rotating crank... sounds like my style. :-P

    hippy

  9. hippy said:

    "David L. Johnson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    sized larger than today. You will also have to check out top tube


    length

    Quoted message said:

    and other things to see if it really fits.

    How much adjustment could I expect from a track stem in terms of fore/aft
    movement, if the top tube length wasn't optimal?

    Huh? You might mean one of two things here.

    1) How many other "track
    stems" are available, and in what lengths. The answer to that is that
    there is not really a "track stem", any good stem will do. Hard core
    sprinters may want something really beefy, but for most of us, there is no
    problem. Now, you mentioned Cinelli bars. You need a stem that matches
    the Cinelli 26.4mm diameter. That is not easy to find these days, but
    some do exist. You can also get new bars for a reasonable price and use
    commonly-available stems.

    2) There are a few _adjustable_ stems out there, including some
    commonly used on track bikes. Major Taylor invented an early adjustable
    stem. Maybe this bike has one? If so, typically they have quite a bit of
    adjustment.

    Quoted message said:

    Does weight really matter that much on a track bike? Especially one used
    by a total track novice?

    No, not really. As a bike to get you into the sport, it could be just
    fine. If it's in good condition it'll get a lot of appreciative attention.

    Quoted message said:

    Actually
    if I did drive to look at it I'd probably just buy it :-)

    I probably would, too.

    Quoted message said:

    Other than paint and stickers, is there any way to tell what brand it
    could
    be?

    Sure, within reason. All three of the brands I mentioned are pretty
    distincitive. Lug design is key to determining brand for many frames.
    But a lot of good frames used lugs like Nervex, so it would be hard to
    tell one of those from another -- and it wouldn't matter much, since those
    would all be pretty similar -- and good quality.

    Quoted message said:

    That is a slight problem - I would like to try fixed-gear on the road but
    track bikes have no brakes. I will have to check out the crown as you say.
    What are the chances of fitting a different fork to it for road use?

    Pretty good, actually. Modern forks tend to be 700c with tight
    clearances and short rake, quite similar to track forks of the 70s in size
    and rake. The crown height might be a bit more than this old one, but
    probably not enough to matter. But swapping out a fork would be tedius if
    you are going to use a separate fork for the road. You can, of course,
    use a new fork on the track and even save a bit of weight. On the other
    hand, a good fork might cost what this bike costs.

    I drilled a hole in my fork crown 30 years ago, and it hasn't broken yet.
    A pursuit bike might have been a different story, though.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is
    _`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
    (_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

  10. i'd buy it so long as the frame is still straight.
    a slightly smaller frame on the tarck is ok.
    "David L. Johnson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    hippy said:

    (X-POST: aus.bicycle, rec.bicycles.misc)

    I spotted this bike for sale and spoke to the owner. I'd like any


    opinions

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    about such a setup as a beginner track bike:

    Track Bike with 22inch frame (55cm)
    Brooks saddle ($200AUD new?)

    Quoted message said:

    Without the trainer and shoes, he wants $500AUD which is about the cost


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a new Miche track groupset these days, I believe.
    He said the frame is 30 years old but in top condition and really


    stiff -

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    but then of course he is going to say that! 🙂

    Well, the thirty years old is probably true, if it's 531. I ride such a
    track bike. The condition of the bike and the saddle (if you want a
    Brooks saddle) will matter a lot in terms of its value.

    Quoted message said:

    55cm is slightly smaller than the 56cm road frame I currently ride -


    does

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    track geometry differ vastly from road geometry? Would this be in my
    region for sizing?

    Probably. It used to be standard advice to go about 1cm smaller in a
    track frame -- but that was in the days when road frames were typically
    sized larger than today. You will also have to check out top tube length
    and other things to see if it really fits.

    Geometry of a track bike of that vintage was steep and tight for the time,


    which

    Quoted message said:

    makes it about standard for road bikes now.

    Quoted message said:

    It has brand new singles which he said had been raced on once and are
    quite expensive,

    It does depend on how long they have sat in the garage since.

    along with Record hubs and even a spare set of wheels

    Quoted message said:

    which, I assume, take clincher tyres for training rides. I have a frame
    sitting at home that I was going to build into a cheap track bike but I
    just can't get cheap parts for it quick enough so this looks like the


    next

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    best thing. It's still cheaper than buying a new track bike for


    ~$1000AUD.

    Well, yes. It will be heavier, too. To compare this to a new track bike,
    the frame itself will be a pound to two pounds heavier. It will not be as
    stiff as a typical aluminum frame you can get now. The components are
    good -- if the hubs have been taken care of. Those Campy hubs were
    beautifully made. I still have a set, though I don't use them since they
    are still laced up to tubular rims.

    Quoted message said:

    So, assuming this bike is in good condition, would you recommend it?

    Possibly

    Quoted message said:

    What would you look for in a second hand track bike?

    Frame condition; evidence of crashes or serious repair.

    Quoted message said:

    What questions should I ask the guy before driving miles away to check


    it

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    out?

    He's probably not going to tell you if he has crashed -- or how badly --
    or if a tube has been replaced. Ask him what brand it is. That can tell
    you a lot about the initial quality. If it's a Cinelli or Masi, then at
    least at one time it was definitely worth something. If it's a post-1972
    Legnano, maybe not.

    Quoted message said:

    What should I look for on it if I do drive miles away to check it out?

    Ride it. See how it feels. Is it the type of bike you are looking for?
    Track bikes are not all alike. Back then, a sprint bike would have round
    fork tubes, really beefy lugs, steep angles, and would be strongly built
    for the abuse a sprinter would mete out. A pursuit bike would have more
    road-like angles and lugs, would be somewhat lighter (by the standards of
    the day), and might be more comfortable for road use.

    Are you planning to race this? What event? For a pursuit specialist I
    can't see getting 30-year old iron. You give away too much weight
    penalty, when for a few hundred more you can get something built for the
    task. Sprinters are more conservative, and still tend to ride strong,
    heavier bikes (I've seen steel bars on some even recently), so that would
    not be so much of a negative.

    If you are just going to ride it, on the road, go for what you like.
    However, do plan to hang a brake on the front -- and make sure the crown
    can be drilled without problems. Mine has a big, thick Nervex crown which
    is vastly overengineered; drilling that was no problem.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a
    _`\(,_ | conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw
    (_)/ (_) |

  11. "David L. Johnson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How much adjustment could I expect from a track stem in terms of


    fore/aft

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    movement, if the top tube length wasn't optimal?

    Huh? You might mean one of two things here.

    1) How many other "track stems" are available, and in what lengths.

    Yeah, that was what I meant.

    Quoted message said:

    2) There are a few _adjustable_ stems out there, including some

    Nope, not adjustable.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Actually if I did drive to look at it I'd probably just buy it :-)

    I probably would, too.

    You're supposed to talk me out of it ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    use a new fork on the track and even save a bit of weight. On the


    other

    Quoted message said:

    hand, a good fork might cost what this bike costs.
    I drilled a hole in my fork crown 30 years ago, and it hasn't broken


    yet.

    Quoted message said:

    A pursuit bike might have been a different story, though.

    I think I will just have a look at it and decide on a course of action
    from there. I might see how computer literate he is - he may be
    able to email me some pictures of it?

    Thanks again,
    hippy

  12. "hippy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Track Bike with 22inch frame (55cm)
    Brooks saddle ($200AUD new?)
    Reynolds 351 tubing (I assume he means 531?)
    extra wheels for training,
    Campag record hubs ($400AUD new)
    Conti singles (used once)
    Look clipless pedals
    Cinelli alu bar/stem
    Sugino cranks
    6 chainrings

    Well thanks everyone and sorry Suzy J but I
    bought this nice little ride tonight! :-)
    Another bike for me yay!
    Another bike for me yay!

    I tell you what though... I've got some SERIOUS
    learning to do with that fixed gear!!!
    It's totally freaky.. can't corner like normal, freak
    coz I can't grab my brakes for a trackstand like
    normal, can't trackstand pretty much at all on this
    compared to my freewheel fitted bikes...
    No brakes makes stopping VERY difficult - I mean
    sure, you can slow down with back pressure (which
    in itself feels weird) but you can't just STOP like you
    would with brakes. Scary!
    The bike itself appears to be in top condition as the
    owner said. Came with a bunch of rings, some cogs,
    tools, spare wheels.. uh everything listed above :-)
    It's blue with yellow Gibson stickers, yellow bar tape.
    I'll get some photos on the web soon but until then,
    any suggestions on the best way to learn these things?
    I don't think I will be able to fit brakes to the fork
    crown so I'm not going to be heading out on the road
    any time soon.. is a velodrome my only other option?
    Suggested starter gear? Should I go for the lowest or
    not? It has 49/16 on it at the moment. The lowest
    would be a 45/17 combo.
    Yeah, totally freaky experience not being able to
    back pedal - I must level out the cranks ALL the
    time with a freewheel!

    stay tuned...
    hippy

  13. In rec.bicycles.misc hippy <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : Yeah, totally freaky experience not being able to
    : back pedal - I must level out the cranks ALL the
    : time with a freewheel!

    one nice thing about having a front brake. at a stop-sign or whatever
    hit the front brake push forward on the brake hoods to bring the rear wheel
    off the ground and spin the crank into position. works great.

    you really need a brake, though. my only bike for nearly 5 years was a
    trackbike. the transition wasn't soooo bad. the one thing i hadn't
    thought about was unclipping. i unclip my left foot first and the first
    few times i came to a stop with my left foot high (not normally a problem
    with a freewheel) i was unable to get it out and fell over.

    learned me quick that did.

    the other fixed gear specific weirdness .. cars think pedaling means going.
    if they see you pedaling they don't think you're braking. buses would
    honk at me repeatedly because they didn't think i was stopping for them.

    and, of course it ain't going up hills that hurts, it's going down.
    rollers, ice-biking and going down hills at 30-40mph with a 72" gear.

    good luck ..
    --
    david reuteler
    [email hidden]

  14. "hippy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well thanks everyone and sorry Suzy J but I

    Not to worry, I've been talking to Sheldon, and have ordered some bits from
    hit to turn my old roady into a fixie.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't think I will be able to fit brakes to the fork
    crown so I'm not going to be heading out on the road
    any time soon.. is a velodrome my only other option?
    Suggested starter gear? Should I go for the lowest or
    not? It has 49/16 on it at the moment. The lowest
    would be a 45/17 combo.

    You might just be able to ride around deserted carparks or something, but I
    imagine that'd get old real quick. Forks are cheap. If you buy a road fork
    for it, you can bung a caliper on that. Even better is that the road fork
    will have a bit more rake that the track fork, so will make it a little less
    of a handful on the road.

    Congrats.

    Regards,

    Suzy

  15. hippy said:

    I tell you what though... I've got some SERIOUS learning to do with that
    fixed gear!!! It's totally freaky.. can't corner like normal,

    You'll get used to it.

    Quoted message said:

    freak coz I
    can't grab my brakes for a trackstand like normal, can't trackstand pretty
    much at all on this compared to my freewheel fitted bikes...

    The only bike I can decently trackstand on is my fixed gear. There is a
    reason they call it a track stand. Use your pedals, not your brakes.

    No brakes

    Quoted message said:

    makes stopping VERY difficult - I mean sure, you can slow down with back
    pressure (which in itself feels weird) but you can't just STOP like you
    would with brakes. Scary!

    If you ride on roads, get brakes.

    Quoted message said:

    the best way to learn these things? I don't think I will be able to fit
    brakes to the fork crown so I'm not going to be heading out on the road
    any time soon.. is a velodrome my only other option?

    It would be. If you don't put brakes on it, a velodrome is the only safe
    place. But if you are contemplating track racing, there is a velodrome
    near you, right?

    Quoted message said:

    Suggested starter
    gear? Should I go for the lowest or not? It has 49/16 on it at the moment.
    The lowest would be a 45/17 combo.

    If you are on the track, then the 49/16 is not bad. I used to use a 48/15
    most of the time, maybe a bit larger for pursuits -- not that I did well
    at those.

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, totally freaky experience not being able to back pedal - I must
    level out the cranks ALL the time with a freewheel!

    Soon you'll forget you can freewheel when you are on your road bike.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
    _`\(,_ | certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to
    (_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein

  16. Suzy Jackson said:

    Forks are cheap. If you buy a road fork for it, you can bung a
    caliper on that. Even better is that the road fork will have a bit
    more rake that the track fork, so will make it a little less of a
    handful on the road.

    More rake (offset) means less trail, means more of a handful, all else
    being equal. The road fork will probably have slightly longer blades
    though, decreasing the head angle a touch.

    James Thomson

  17. When I was a kid (bloody long time ago) I used to ride a track bike on
    the raod. To stop quickly you unclip your right foot & put it on the
    top ofthe back wheel & apply pressure. You usually only make the
    mistake of putting your foot in the spokes once :-)

    John L.

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:06:53 GMT, "Suzy Jackson" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "hippy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well thanks everyone and sorry Suzy J but I

    Not to worry, I've been talking to Sheldon, and have ordered some bits from
    hit to turn my old roady into a fixie.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't think I will be able to fit brakes to the fork
    crown so I'm not going to be heading out on the road
    any time soon.. is a velodrome my only other option?
    Suggested starter gear? Should I go for the lowest or
    not? It has 49/16 on it at the moment. The lowest
    would be a 45/17 combo.

    You might just be able to ride around deserted carparks or something, but I
    imagine that'd get old real quick. Forks are cheap. If you buy a road fork
    for it, you can bung a caliper on that. Even better is that the road fork
    will have a bit more rake that the track fork, so will make it a little less
    of a handful on the road.

    Congrats.

    Regards,

    Suzy

  18. John L said:

    When I was a kid (bloody long time ago) I used to ride a track bike on
    the raod. To stop quickly you unclip your right foot & put it on the
    top ofthe back wheel & apply pressure. You usually only make the
    mistake of putting your foot in the spokes once :-)

    How about the mistake of trying that with the front wheel?

    <G>

    Quoted message said:

    John L.


    --
    Rick Onanian

  19. James Thomson said:

    More rake (offset) means less trail, means more of a handful, all else
    being equal. The road fork will probably have slightly longer blades
    though, decreasing the head angle a touch.

    Probably not. The standard now for road bike clearances is close to the
    standard for track bike clearances 30 years ago. I've owned two such
    bikes (still have one) and on the first one the clearances were larger
    than my current road fork. Rake may be a bit less on the track fork, but
    probably is 40mm (road forks vary from 40 to 45 IIRC).

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    _`\(,_ | That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being
    (_)/ (_) | attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism
    and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any
    <country. -- Hermann Goering

  20. "David L. Johnson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The only bike I can decently trackstand on is my fixed gear. There is a
    reason they call it a track stand. Use your pedals, not your brakes.

    Now that I think about it, I only use the brakes to stop at lights and
    then trackstand without touching them. I think it must be the fact that
    gear is higher and the fixed-gear moves backwards forcefully rather
    than just rolling back. The fact that I can't spin back the cranks to
    level out also causes me a bit of grief.. early days though, early days.

    Quoted message said:

    It would be. If you don't put brakes on it, a velodrome is the only safe
    place. But if you are contemplating track racing, there is a velodrome
    near you, right?

    Yep, went there yesterday. Not as far as I thought - 20min by (urgh) car.

    Quoted message said:

    Soon you'll forget you can freewheel when you are on your road bike.

    Cool 🙂

    hippy

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.