Hi, I'm a junior and have a couple of key questions concerning 2x20s and FT. I am pretty confused, so could you help clear some things up for me?
1. I did my first 2x20 yesterday on the trainer, well rested having got back from a vacation. I was not really sure what number to go for on my first interval, so I sort of arbitrarily picked a range of 205-230W (based on a 72-77% range from my MAP test of 286W; the range is 206-220W). I ended up with an AP 212W, NP 213W. My RPE on the 1-10 scale was like this: by end of 1st ten minutes a 5 (strong, heavy); by end of 15 minutes a 6-7 (7 being very hard); by end of 20 minutes a 7. I rested for 5 minutes and when I did it again, I got an AP 213W, NP 214W. This time, RPE was: 1st 5 minutes a 5, 1st 10 minutes a 7, 15 minutes a 7-8, by the end a 9 (extremely hard). I felt pretty dizzy when I finished my interval, felt a little sick, but I recovered within a couple minutes.
Based on this test, is my FT 213W? Or is that too high? I am wondering because...
I went outside today to try to do the 2x20 again. This time, the plan was to do the 1st interval at 213W with a much better pacing strategy (on the trainer, my power had a slight downward trend). I tried to find the best flat road I could and did an out and back. This time...avg. power was 192W, NP 193W. Morever, my RPE was 7-8 by end of first interval...definitely harder than it should have felt. It was actually quite frustrating because the road was not really flat...it undulated with slight but noticeable gradient of up to 4% which made the downhill sections especially annoying to maintain power. In fact, 10 minutes into the interval I was already feeling like an RPE 6-7. I decided to stop after the first interval, discouraged that my avg. power was so low and the fact that I plan on trying the 2x20 with the better pacing strategy again tomorrow on the trainer or on another flat road (hopefully I can find). The rest of my ride was just a tempo ride.
I am especially dumbfounded because despite all the variation in my power in this 20 min. interval (at least relative to my 2x20 on the trainer), my NP was only 1W greater than my AP and 20W lower than my NP on the trainer...yet RPE was much greater.
BTW...my LT hr is 183 (based on 1hr hard ride...see below for power info from this ride). The first 20 min. interval on the trainer was avg. 178. Second was avg. 186 bpm. On the interval outside, the avg. HR was 181 bpm.
Should I be doing 2x20s on the trainer? It feels so much harder outside, and my numbers show. What is my FT, too, based on these results? I am almost positive that I can at least do a over 200W avg. power 1 hr TT on the trainer...although I have been advised not to do a full out 1hr TT because it set backs training and is very hard to do (especially to duplicate competition motivation). I did do a hard 1 hr ride though (basically my attempt to do a 1 hr TT on training motivation). I think I could have gone harder but it was difficult too because the terrain was very hilly (some climbs up to one mile long with 8-10% gradient, short climbs 15-20% gradient...and of course there are big downhills as well). I had an AP 192W and NP 198W. But I know that I can do over 200W on trainer for one hour...
but what's the point of having an FT on the trainer if you can't reproduce it on hilly terrain outside?
2. I am wondering then, during an actual 40km TT in competition, how do you pace yourself using the powermeter? I'm sure there are not any 40 km TTs out there that are literally board flat...and I don't know if I could maintain 213W in a 40km TT outdoors even if there is only slight elevational changes...and are you supposed to go by AP or NP- for example, what happens if the TT is hilly...often AP can be much lower than NP.
3. I did my 2x20s indoors with a cadence of 88 (almost 88 throughout..slight variations of 2-3 rpms). This was the easiest cadence I figured out for me to maintain wattage. However, when doing the 20 min. interval outside, I found myself going to lower cadences (70-80) in big gears to maintain power...especially on downhill sections. I am wondering...when doing LT intervals outside (if you even do them outside), is it easier to maintain high power with a higher cadence than what you would use on the trainer?
Thanks very much.
-Chris